PDA

View Full Version : So I fixed my extreme belt squeal problem from yesterday

Mystikal
10-18-2004, 09:52 PM
...and good God am I lucky. Anyone on the cruise yesterday could hear my car crying out in pain every time we pulled away from a light, and we (thanks Nelson, Clarence, Trevor, et al) diagnosed that the alternator is was wobbling around like hell even at idle, and the bushings are likely broken off or a bolt has fallen loose.

Much worse. Turns out the very late build E30's didn't have bushings on the alternator mounts, and out of the 4 bolts that hold the alternator bracket on, 1 was secure, 1 was gone (vibrated off yesterday in the raucous), 1 was holding on by a single thread and wobbling around, and 1, get this, actually broke off inside the block. :(

Well thanks to the guys at Lakeside Motors the car is fine now and running perfectly. Just wanted to share for those who were helping me out yesterday. *wave*

Jase
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
better than the fender i ruined tho.. I was wondering what the hell that sound was comming from your car..lol

biotek
10-18-2004, 11:21 PM
dont worry jase, it wont be the last one :D

Quack
10-18-2004, 11:29 PM
good to hear that the car would be running smooth again

Jase
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
i bottomed the car out during the cruise.. man it is low..

T.Dot_E30
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Good to hear you got it fixed man. I hope they didn't put much of a dent into ur wallet.

LoL im gonna check mine at work, jus incase. :D

Mystikal
10-19-2004, 04:58 PM
3 hours labour...quite a dent. Had to do it though, I didn't have the time to do it myself (job interview, class, studying...). Forgot to mention the actual steel bracket (which is quite thick) actually snapped into 2 pieces once they removed it. Had to buy one of those, too.

Miguel
10-19-2004, 05:39 PM
I have nothing to say...

Slowered318
10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
good to hear you got that annoying noise fixed.

E30 is once again the pinacle of ultamate driving machines!

///m powered
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
good to hear you lucked out! not so good to hear about the dent in your wallet though :(

jeffrie
10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Didn't hear it but had something similar, caught it before it wore bolt as much as you did, replaced the striped threds with washers till it reached the old threads (x 2) before it spead to the point you were at.
Geuss you like doing donuts too or are you a drifter lol

BMW BMXer
10-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Ya I have a late bushingless alt in my car, maybe I should check it.

ZiMMie
10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
i Heard that shit too when u were warmin up in ur car @ bimmercruize forgot to ask u wat it was since u were busy. but i had an extra brushless steel bracket. u should have asked and they arent that hard to change @ all. changed the whole alternator on the m10 under 2 hours.

T.Dot_E30
10-19-2004, 10:59 PM
i Heard that shit too when u were warmin up in ur car @ bimmercruize forgot to ask u wat it was since u were busy. but i had an extra brushless steel bracket. u should have asked and they arent that hard to change @ all. changed the whole alternator on the m10 under 2 hours.

the m10 is only 3 bolts, i can do it in half. lol jus messing man. the m20 is much tighter in there too.

but damn 3 hours.

ZiMMie
10-19-2004, 11:03 PM
shut up trev :D (jk)
heheehhe i actucally replaced the alternator on the m10 from the one from my 325is ;)

Mystikal
10-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Geuss you like doing donuts too or are you a drifter lol

*wiggle*

Changing the alternator and bracket is one thing, I could have done that. What you didn't catch was when I said the bolt broke off inside the engine block. They had to remove all sorts of components from the front to gain proper access to it, and of course it would have been hell without a lift. They did all of the work from underneath, I could not have done that in the freezing cold with my car on jackstands.

paul christians
10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
nice to hear that JAY...............