PDA

View Full Version : sound in the front end ...

bimmer_02
10-14-2004, 01:44 PM
iv got Eibach proline springs on my stock shox, the car is a 320i 2002. iv had this setup for about 3-4 months now.

and im starting to get some sound in the front end wen i hit (small but sharp) bumps on the road. For example, the small bump between the street and the driveway ( coming in and out), the ramps goin in and out of garages.

the noise is like a knocking noise/something loose ... ( its not too big, but it exists)

does anyone have the same setup as me, if so, is anyone experiencing the same noise, or has any idea what it COULD be.

im taking the car to the dealship soon to get it looked at, but im just trying to know what the problem is .... i didnt think that something in my front is gona get affected this quickly from the springs i hav *mumble*

jmalixi
10-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Could be control arm bushing.

BMW_M52_M20
10-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Yep sounds like bushings, either control arm or sway bar bushings.......How many Km's on the car? The Proline kit is not ment for use with stock shocks so if it is under warranty, BMW may not cover anything to do with the suspension

bimmaman
10-19-2004, 01:41 AM
I have a similar noise after lowering aswell on HR Sport springs. During my last service they said my control arm bushings were fine? Mine is also in the front end over small bumps...

If you do find out what it is, I would appreciate knowing!

If it is the control arm bushings..is it severe problem?

THanks,

Surk
10-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Had similar problem also...swaybar links were bad...

iv got Eibach proline springs on my stock shox, the car is a 320i 2002. iv had this setup for about 3-4 months now.

and im starting to get some sound in the front end wen i hit (small but sharp) bumps on the road. For example, the small bump between the street and the driveway ( coming in and out), the ramps goin in and out of garages.

the noise is like a knocking noise/something loose ... ( its not too big, but it exists)

does anyone have the same setup as me, if so, is anyone experiencing the same noise, or has any idea what it COULD be.

im taking the car to the dealship soon to get it looked at, but im just trying to know what the problem is .... i didnt think that something in my front is gona get affected this quickly from the springs i hav *mumble*

bimmaman
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
So should these swaybar links be replaced right away?

What PN are the links/how much are they....
(is it a lot of labour.. to replace?)

THanks,

Surk
10-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Not sure the P\N for ur car...but they are simple to replace...if your getting a click\clunk over medium bumps and never done them..prob what it is I had mine replaced twice in 6 mths... crap poly design!! I think you'll need 2 wrenches.. I is 16mm the other 18mm I'll know shortly since I'm replacing my springs this wk (again) One bolts to the strut the other to the control arm I think they sell for $35 each...

3SERB
10-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I ve had some strange noise coming from my car aswell...the suspenstion is stock tho..over certain road bumbs there is a certain squeel or something...Havnt been able to figure out what it is tho..

BiMMeR_2_Nv
10-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I hav the same set up in my car..i got the Eibach Proline Springs 1.4" drop but im still running on stock shocks... and i notice a bit of a camber on my rear tires too... does anyone recomend what kind of shocks are good? and Camber kit? :confused:

champ0202
10-31-2004, 02:27 PM
i used to drive a vw golf and i had the same problem above your spring is a mounting plate with a bushing in it. When you get your springs changed you should change this plate as welll if you havent already this is where your noise is comming from

Surk
10-31-2004, 03:07 PM
It IS inevitable when lowering any car that camber will be affected.. with a Eibach drop the camber is not excessive to warrant camber plates or adjustable arms in rear.. Stock shocks are fine unless worn.

I hav the same set up in my car..i got the Eibach Proline Springs 1.4" drop but im still running on stock shocks... and i notice a bit of a camber on my rear tires too... does anyone recomend what kind of shocks are good? and Camber kit? :confused:

bimmer_02
11-07-2004, 06:03 PM
i took my car to BM and changed the sway bar links, but the knocking sound is still there... :s