PDA

View Full Version : sirius satalite

Christina
10-11-2004, 01:09 AM
does anyone know..

what bmws have this sirius satalite radio option avaliable and what is the approximate cost of it?

thanks in advance. *wave*

Gamite
10-11-2004, 01:16 AM
personally I don't like anything that you have to pay monthly for, I think its better to invest in MP3's, that way you really get what you want to listen to.

Gianpaolo_E46
10-11-2004, 01:26 AM
kinda stupid if u ask me, why would u pay for radio? just get an ipod with the adapter

Gamite
10-11-2004, 01:32 AM
of course, we're totally getting off topic now, and we're not really answering her question.. :P

Did you check the bmw.ca site? I'm sure if you call the dealer, someone there will know.

Gianpaolo_E46
10-11-2004, 01:35 AM
i dont think its an option on from bmw, is it?

Christina
10-11-2004, 01:46 AM
i dont know. my friend asked me 2 post it up cuz hes looking into it..

they checked bmw n he checked the site.. cant find ne thing?

... so once again.. does anyone know which models does it come in with that option and how much it would cost approx. lol?

FastM3
10-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't believe it's available in BMW's, but I'll ask when I'm in at work next week.

Castel
10-11-2004, 04:14 AM
is that even in canada yet? last i heard teh CRTC has not approved it yet. since it's a sta. signal if you got billing to a U.S. address i'm sure you could use it in canada that way. as for an option from BMW i highly doubt it.

an ipod + a PIE adapter will be much cheaper in the long run (bmw now has an option of installing an ipod for you)

EMPOWERD
10-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Here's the scoop, I researched this to death last week because I listen Howard Stern regularly. We are not allowed to have any XM or Sirius radio in Canada (legally) because the CRTC decided against it. So, radio manufacturers cannot even sell product with it. Don't get me wrong, my Alpine deck is "XM ready" but still needs a sender unit and antenna. That said, you won't see a car manufacturer with it on their product line in this "free" country anytime soon.

This doesn't mean you can't have it (like DSS satelite)... dealers sell (under the table) XM radio kits that plug into you aux input and use a seperate control unit, or for more money.... you can buy a specific adapter cable for your radio that is "XM ready". Then you have to open an account with a U.S. address to get activated. As far as I understand, it'll be impossible to pirate the signal.

People now-a-days are like "why should I pay for radio when it's free"... that'll soon change. Why do you pay for Satelite or Cable TV then? You can watch TV for free with rabbit ear antennas. It's about selection, variety and commercial free listening. I personally am getting tired of our local radio stations with constant non-stop commercials and repeat teenie-bopper songs. You can burn MP3 CD's constantly (I should know... i've got 40gigs of MP3s) but it gets tiresome, and I'm running out of room with countless half/poorly-labeled CD's floating around my car.

ZiMMie
10-11-2004, 12:33 PM
plus it the radio sounds lke mp3's@128kpbs. very good quality shit.

golden
10-11-2004, 01:11 PM
howard stern is gonna make sat radio a common thing, like cable.

BMWF1
10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
My dad has it in his car, its not that expensive like 11US/month or something like that, sounds alot better then FM and yeah i will have to get it in my car come January cause I also like to listen to howard stern, just do what i did, drive over to the states, go to best buy and they do everything for you, they just direct bill my dad on his credit card. Works out pretty good, I guess that also depends how far you live from the boarder.

qwk325
10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
We started to sell this at our dealership , those who are interested I can get a pretty decent price, the pros are comercial free radio listening on what ever you listneing to there is a wide selection of topics they , the cons are yes you do have to pay monthly for it and I believe it is in U.S funds.

Gamite
10-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Here's the scoop, I researched this to death last week because I listen Howard Stern regularly. We are not allowed to have any XM or Sirius radio in Canada (legally) because the CRTC decided against it. So, radio manufacturers cannot even sell product with it. Don't get me wrong, my Alpine deck is "XM ready" but still needs a sender unit and antenna. That said, you won't see a car manufacturer with it on their product line in this "free" country anytime soon.

This doesn't mean you can't have it (like DSS satelite)... dealers sell (under the table) XM radio kits that plug into you aux input and use a seperate control unit, or for more money.... you can buy a specific adapter cable for your radio that is "XM ready". Then you have to open an account with a U.S. address to get activated. As far as I understand, it'll be impossible to pirate the signal.

People now-a-days are like "why should I pay for radio when it's free"... that'll soon change. Why do you pay for Satelite or Cable TV then? You can watch TV for free with rabbit ear antennas. It's about selection, variety and commercial free listening. I personally am getting tired of our local radio stations with constant non-stop commercials and repeat teenie-bopper songs. You can burn MP3 CD's constantly (I should know... i've got 40gigs of MP3s) but it gets tiresome, and I'm running out of room with countless half/poorly-labeled CD's floating around my car.

What I did with my MP3's is, I have CD's for different Genre's, and everytime 4-5 new songs come out that I like, (about every 2 weeks) I reburn the CD and throw the old one out. Keeps from having tonnes of CD's lying around, and keeps your Genre CD's updated.