PDA

View Full Version : Question - E30 325 vs M3 shell

tominizer
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Outside of the ''boxy" fenders, what are the differences in the shell itself. I have an E30 M3 with a hurting shell (accidents/rust/rot) The opportunity has arisen for the purchase of a mint condition 91 325i shell. Can the M3 parts be swapped to the 325i shell without issues??? What am I looking at here........... fair easy swap or a nitemare????

ZiMMie
10-10-2004, 07:24 PM
i think the parts are interchangable. do u have pics of ur e30 m3 shell??

tominizer
10-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Will have pictures shortly.............. why?

Over on the S14 board, generally everyone is saying not to do it. Too many different things about the M3 from the front window back. But no conclusive details yet................ disappointing :huh?:

bmdoubleya
10-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I bet things like the door cards and dash maybe the console and stuff would not fit..

Skunk#1
10-11-2004, 08:50 PM
the body is different, all the trunk area fenders, i dont think you can justify replacing a shell unless you have the man hours and patience to do all that. i am doing the samething only with an 325is going to a 325e body. they are the same, m3 is an entirly different vehicle. the track i think is diffferent so you will have to run narrower tires for the 325 body then the m3.

get an m3 shell and call it good, other wise the running gear can be made to fit, look at the italian 320, it was an s14 but in the 325 body, but you have an m3 leave it m3.....

just let it rust out and think of it like weight reduction, it a race car isn't it????

:)

jeffrie
10-11-2004, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Skunk#1]
just let it rust out and think of it like weight reduction, it a race car isn't it????

Lol but agree.
The only thing interchangable from an m3 to a 325i is the front end, even still will loose at least 1/4 regidity in the chassy that the M3 has.
Far beter to keep the m3 an acutal m3 in my oppinion then turn a 325i into a sleeper.

tominizer
10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
The M3 has been hit in the rear end on the passenger side. Rite now, the plan is to try and save her. From what I've found out, the E30 M3 is based on the earlier E30 shell (pre and including '87). I have found an '87 shell luckily. We're having an expert BMW guy look at the damaged M3 and determine if the damage areas can be fixed and where necessary graft on shell parts from the '87 E30 where the damage is too much (if this is possible). We also have someone who is an awesome automotive welder that can truly fix things right. Anyways, long story short, we're gonna try and save her first. Yes, it's gonna cost. Is it worth it ?!! Who really knows............... I think it is worth trying too within reason.