PDA

View Full Version : Beat the crap out of a brand new Corvette

Maximus M3
07-17-2002, 12:36 AM
I had just put a new diferential and short shifter in my car (thanx to bimmersport) when i saw this brand new Corvette pull right beside me.:D So I said: what the hell lets try the new shit out.

Light turns green and the guy in the corvette Who is alresdy pissed off because his G F was checking me out steps on it,
I stept on it too and MAN I could not belive itn the RPM jumped to 7500 in less than a second, I was about half a car ahead of the guy in first , Iput second and the tires screached, Iam already about a car ahead of the guy. 3rd and 4th and Iwas gone.
That was alot of fun. Thank God I put the Brembo cross drilled rotors and breakes becasue I'm going to need them from now on.

Lil'Smoothie
07-17-2002, 12:41 AM
what kind of corvette?

Maximus M3
07-17-2002, 12:45 AM
Well I never saw its back he he he*devil*
All I now is that it was pretty new becase it looked good.

straight_6
07-17-2002, 01:02 AM
Are you sure the guy was even racing you?

I think a vette, being almost any year vette would take a 95-99 M3.
Maybe not off the line, you say you got a diff so that would help on the get go, but 3rd and 4th I think he would have blowen by you.

Maximus M3
07-17-2002, 01:09 AM
Hey bro I am telling you he was racing pretty serious.
May be he had an automatic, I know he was racing because he gave me the sickest look at the next light but we could'nt race on cuse of traffic.

Gamite
07-17-2002, 02:44 AM
Dont you drive a 328?

GR8 Ride
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Well, the guy couldn't have been racing too seriously. Even the *stock* Vette has WAY more torque and HP than the E36 M3, and roughly the same weight (about 3200 lbs). It's easily a 100 HP+ and 100 lb-ft of torque disadvantage for the BMW.

Stock diff on that car is a 3.23, so you'd have to jump up to a 3.64 or 3.73 to have any significant effect, and while that WILL help your acceleration in general, you'd also end up shifting a lot more often. Advantage still goes to the Vette.

And outside of the Euro motor, I don't recall any M3's that revved easily to 7500 RPM, especially on a 33C day. Redline is 7,000 RPM... must be chipped as well.

Pat

got torque?
07-17-2002, 10:07 AM
Gotta love these dumb-ass stories.

How the hell do you know how hard the guy was trying? Were you in his car? Give us a break.

Any C5 Corvette from the last few years would crush you, automatic or standard.

Threads like this make my head hurt.

GT?

Maximus M3
07-17-2002, 11:39 AM
What i have now is a 3.91 and i'm telling you guys you can feel a significant amount of difference between what i had and this.
plus i never said the guy was a profecional driver, may be he didn't have a clue how to shift. all i'm saying is that he was pretty pissed off about it.
I totally agree with you about the power of those cars. and I also agree that I have to shift much more often. But I never could screach my tires in second gear and now I can.
And regarding the red line I don't lie I can take it up to 7500 now
I'm willing to show anyone. Hey I was more surprised than any of you.

Gamite
07-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Yea, your old diff was 2.91 right? That musta made a HUGE difference!!

Jon@Bimmersport
07-17-2002, 02:06 PM
im not sure if this is right but, if u get a differential to make ur acceleration a lot faster, in turn doesnt ur top speed also go down?

GR8 Ride
07-17-2002, 02:44 PM
So, which is it then? 1998 M3, or 1998 328is? Big difference, but one way or the other, unless the guy was coasting, no way your car would beat his over any reasonable distance.

The guy couldn't have been too pissed off, he obviously wasn't trying hard.

One thing to remember, it's pretty hard to BS your way into this crowd; many of us know a thing or two about how to drive a car fast (BMWs, Mustangs, Vette's, FF2000s etc), both in a straight line, and over a challenging road course.

I'm not saying you didn't win *the race* (though I'd hardly call it that....), I'm just saying SOMEBODY wasn't putting as much effort into it as you may have thought.

Pat

Lil'Smoothie
07-17-2002, 03:51 PM
But I never could screach my tires in second gear and now I can

why couldn't u before?

JeorgeBaptista
07-17-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Maximus M3
. I never could screach my tires in second gear and now I can.

UH?????

My old 84 318 4 banger squacks in 2nd all the time!!!

Maximus M3
07-18-2002, 12:38 AM
what the hell is going on guys. what are we here all vette Fans.
All I told you guys is what happened to me the other day.
the guy tried to race (His foot slipped, he was a bad driver , his engine was f#$%ed up he didn't know how to shift... Idon't know and i don't care) and he could'nt catch up.
If you were in my shoes and for the heck of it you raced a vette, Knoing that it's a much more powerfull car than yours and you end up ahead of the guy(for whatever reson), WOULD'T YOU BE HAPPY ABOUT IT?
And to answer your question Yes you do lose top speed with a 3.91 dif.

SickFinga
07-18-2002, 04:59 AM
If it was Auto I believe you. If not than he just doesn't know how to drive.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-18-2002, 05:05 AM
even with auto he can beat a stock m3....i suppose...there is way more torque and hp...but maybe with his new differential he accelerates faster in his car to get ahead of the vette for a while but by the time the vette cought up they were at a light? cud be....good race (or watever it is) *th-up*. jus watch out in toronto...i wudnt race anytime soon if i were u....word has it now bmw's r making it onto the list cops have....the list of civics, integras, preludes....sooner or later modded bimmers on the street will be pulled over and treated as if it were a civic!

SickFinga
07-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
even with auto he can beat a stock m3....i suppose...there is way more torque and hp...but maybe with his new differential he accelerates faster in his car to get ahead of the vette for a while but by the time the vette cought up they were at a light? cud be....good race (or watever it is) *th-up*. jus watch out in toronto...i wudnt race anytime soon if i were u....word has it now bmw's r making it onto the list cops have....the list of civics, integras, preludes....sooner or later modded bimmers on the street will be pulled over and treated as if it were a civic!

I dunno I checked 0-60 stats and Corvette does it in 5sec, m3 does in 5.5sec. so roughly auto slows you down for about a second. so auto vette roughly 6sec.

Gamite
07-18-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga

I dunno I checked 0-60 stats and Corvette does it in 5sec, m3 does in 5.5sec. so roughly auto slows you down for about a second. so auto vette roughly 6sec.

Actually, for american cars, auto and manual are very close, the only difference is sometimes the extra gear. American auto makers either make crappy manual trannies or very good auto trannies.

The difference in the two most of the time can be .2 seconds.

Maximus M3
07-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanx for the tip on the cops watching for bmw's.
I'll be more carefull.*th-up*

GR8 Ride
07-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Gamite

Actually, for american cars, auto and manual are very close, the only difference is sometimes the extra gear. American auto makers either make crappy manual trannies or very good auto trannies.

The difference in the two most of the time can be .2 seconds.

BMW's automatics are built by GM....

Sticks are built by ZF or Getrag....

Pat

GR8 Ride
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Actually, the numbers I found for the Vette (1999 and up, non Z06) is in the 4.8 seconds for 0-60, but 13.3 for the 1/4 mile.

The M3 (E36) shows up at 5.5 seconds for 0-60, and about 14 seconds for the 1/4 mile.

Half a second 0-60 is a pretty big gap to make up...

Pat

Lil'Smoothie
07-18-2002, 01:13 PM
0-60 times are overrated, those are professional drivers

if someone can't drive than they can't drive plain and simple, in the high gears, , 3rd,4th,and 5th where your actually in gear for a long time than yes the faster car will prevail. In first and second alot is on the driver, obviously a faster car helps

got torque?
07-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Automotive journalists are far from "professional drivers".

0-60 times are one of the few things they measure that translate into real-world performance.

If you want to talk about overrated, let's talk about the sidpad. Now THERE'S something that tells you zero about a car. But that's another topic.....

GT

bimmersport
07-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Maximus M3
I had just put a new diferential and short shifter in my car (thanx to bimmersport) when i saw this brand new Corvette pull right beside me.:D So I said: what the hell lets try the new shit out.

Light turns green and the guy in the corvette Who is alresdy pissed off because his G F was checking me out steps on it,
I stept on it too and MAN I could not belive itn the RPM jumped to 7500 in less than a second, I was about half a car ahead of the guy in first , Iput second and the tires screached, Iam already about a car ahead of the guy. 3rd and 4th and Iwas gone.
That was alot of fun. Thank God I put the Brembo cross drilled rotors and breakes becasue I'm going to need them from now on.

Glad you're happy with the new diff, Alan! Makes a nice difference, doesn't it?!*th-up* You've got a wicked ride!

BTW-Post some pics in the RIDES section with your new spoiler.

330DTM
07-20-2002, 01:20 AM
MaximusM3,

I agree with Badkarma's analysis.
You mentioned that the corvette driver screwed up or something....and I understand that you won the race and you should give urself a pat on the back, but in reality, we all know which car is still faster on the straights! (Corvette)

So even though you won the race, technically your car is not quicker than the corvette.

djcontra
07-25-2002, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't race any vette unless i had nitrous or forced induction. I've driven a few myself, auto and stick because my father is a huge vette lover, and even in the automatic ones, if you step on the gas too hard you'll just spin out. The thing has a crazy ammount of horsepower stock, and would probably blow away most cars on the road. The problem is their handling sucks ass.
I'm not saying you didn't beat the vette, hell, i beat a mustang 5.0 in my automatic bimmer but that's because the guy didn't know how to drive.

I think I recall that the new corvettes were rated as the fastest production car you can buy right now aside from the more exotic cars out there. (this could be out of date information now since i read that about a year ago)

also how much does it cost to change the diff? i want something to give me more torque and power at lower speeds since i rarely go above 140km/h

Maximus M3
07-26-2002, 10:31 AM
hey bro,
see teh tricky part is to find the differential. If you can find one and at a good price, the labour should not be more than an hour to an hour and a half.
mine cost 500 for the dif and 90 bucks to put it in.
I called the BMW dealers and the lowest price they gave me was 1500 for a 3.64.
I have the 3.91. and I am telling you it flies.
I recomend it with 2 thumbs up.

Autotechnica
07-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Guys, please remember this guy has a "fake" M3 and that its really a 328. So any story about him beating a corvette is BS, an M3 would lose to a Corvette, so how could a 328 beat one? No offense Maximus, but you asked for it. I had a 4.44 racing diff. in my old car and it was fast, but I wouldn't make up any BS. Its pretty easy to tell if the guy is flooring it or not, because if the vette was you would be in his rear view mirror.

Anyways, the only thing that really annoys me about you is the fact that you tell us you didn't make it a "fake" M3 on purpose. Now everyone thinks you have an M3 because you even said that you did when infact it wasn't. If Mike and Vlad didn't point out the differences you would probably still say you had one. Just for the sake of not confusing people and being a wannabe, please remove that out of your "my ride" section. Thanks

Bryan

got torque?
07-31-2002, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry, but a C5 Corvette will out-power and outhandle anything that BMW has ever produced. Put an M3 and a C5 on any race track and the Vette will destroy the BMW in short order.
I love BMW's but let's keep this in perspective....

GT

Jesse
07-31-2002, 10:20 AM
OK Guys I think he gets the idea.

I did not think it was customary for the ppl on this forum to beat someone into the ground like this. The guy was excited, that's all - no reason to make him feel unwelcome.

Let's all lighten up a big eh? *th-up*

Jesse

GR8 Ride
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by got torque?
I'm sorry, but a C5 Corvette will out-power and outhandle anything that BMW has ever produced. Put an M3 and a C5 on any race track and the Vette will destroy the BMW in short order.

GT

Well, I don't know about *ANY* C5....the Z06, certainly.

The stock C5 is pretty quick in a straight line, but I'm not sure how competitive it is compared to some of BMW's finest. I'm thinking a Euro 3.2L M3 would probably compare well to the stock C5 Vette, even on a big HP track like Mosport. HP difference is essentially nil between those two cars anyway (321 HP vs 345 HP), and the weight is essentially identical, unlike the porky E46 M3.

Pat

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
I don;t think any c5 will beat m3 either

Autotechnica
07-31-2002, 11:47 AM

GT

I know McLaren F1 isn't really BMW, but generally the engine still out performs any corvette. Do C5's actually out handle M3's?

Bryan

got torque?
07-31-2002, 04:25 PM
Sickfinga

Nice picture, but what's your point? So BMW's marketing department dreams up a magazine ad, and you think it's the gospel? You should learn to be more objective.

Pat

Look up the torque output figures for an E36 M3 (Euro and Regular). Now which one would win at Mosport?

Bryan

I don't think a McLaren F1 engine fits into the comparisons we're talking about here. Killer engine, but we're talking street stuff.
And yes, a C5 Z06 will run circles around anything that BMW has manufactured for the street. As Pat points out, non-Z-06's vs. M3's will lead to a pretty good debate.

I love these topics- nothing stirs it up like an Import vs. Domestic thread...

GT?

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 04:31 PM
actually bmw made this ad after Car and Driver tested all those cars and came out that m3 was the best.
also Prelude SH was the best handling car under 25k.
so it is not a dream it was a reality in 97

got torque?
07-31-2002, 04:36 PM
So does that mean that out of all the cars pictured, you'd take the M3?

I bet you'd think twice before picking the M3 out of that lineup.

Just because C+D picked the M3 as number one, does not mean it would be the quickest car there. They tend to look at stupid things like back seats, drink holders and skidpad numbers to generate those BS rankings.

To me, the best-handling car would be the one that could get around a race track the fastest. The M3 would definitely not have the lowest lap times of all those pictured.

GT?

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 04:40 PM
you said that c5 outhandles m3, i posted you a proof that it will not. No ofcause I wouldn't takem3 over most of those cars.
but that wasn't the point of my post

got torque?
07-31-2002, 04:46 PM
You didn't "prove" anything. You just repeated what a group of magazine editors think. I guess you're one of those people who believe everything they read.

Proof requires supporting facts, and you haven't provided any.

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 04:48 PM
i will in a couple of minutes I can't find thet whole compasson test.
Why should I believe you more than editors of the magazine?

got torque?
07-31-2002, 04:55 PM
What I'm saying is that magazine tests do not speak to my definition of handling. 0-60, skidpad, and slalom figures do not tell you which car is best equipped to turn fast laps at a track.

Handling to me means that one car can lap a track faster than another.

I think that there are several cars pictured in that ad which would lap a track faster than the M3.

I guess it depends on your personal definition of "handling".

GT?

GR8 Ride
07-31-2002, 05:13 PM

Look up the torque output figures for an E36 M3 (Euro and Regular). Now which one would win at Mosport?

GT?

Oh come on....you're the ONE GUY on here who should know that torque output alone doesn't make a car quick...

Let's take my car versus yours, as a bad example. Your car has double (we both know the math) the torque to the rear wheels that mine does (335 vs 165), yet our lap times are remarkably similar. Hmmm....

Another factor to consider. What's redline for the C5 Vette? 6000 RPM maybe? While the 3.2L Euro redlines at 7800 RPM. Remember, every shift of the transmission UP a gear reduces the torque available to the rear wheels. So those extra 1800 RPM allow the BMW to accelerate longer in each gear than the Vette does.

And the suspension on the stock C5 Vette is nowhere near what the Z06 is, and it's a heavier car as well.

It certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I'd put my money on the Euro E36 over the stock C5 Vette.

Pat

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

Oh come on....you're the ONE GUY on here who should know that torque output alone doesn't make a car quick...

Let's take my car versus yours, as a bad example. Your car has double (we both know the math) the torque to the rear wheels that mine does (335 vs 165), yet our lap times are remarkably similar. Hmmm....

Another factor to consider. What's redline for the C5 Vette? 6000 RPM maybe? While the 3.2L Euro redlines at 7800 RPM. Remember, every shift of the transmission UP a gear reduces the torque available to the rear wheels. So those extra 1800 RPM allow the BMW to accelerate longer in each gear than the Vette does.

And the suspension on the stock C5 Vette is nowhere near what the Z06 is, and it's a heavier car as well.

It certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I'd put my money on the Euro E36 over the stock C5 Vette.

Pat

w0w I can't believe my eye you actually said that. I though there was nothing you could possible agree with me and like 99% of other members.

got torque?, im still looking for an article.
I will post it here, so check this thread, I wanna read your comments.

GR8 Ride
07-31-2002, 05:31 PM

w0w I can't believe my eye you actually said that. I though there was nothing you could possible agree with me and like 99% of other members.

got torque?, im still looking for an article.
I will post it here, so check this thread, I wanna read your comments.

Well, I guess the sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then, doesn't it?

Anyhow, not to make this into too much of a debate, but I have to agree with GT? on something. Magazine testing (skidpad, 1/4 mile, 0-60) don't generally equate as to the *Best Handling Car* status.

Not to say that magazine's are wrong, but merely the testing methods involved.

A better test (albeit too short to be highly accurate) was the one Road and Track (??) just did on the Ultimate Handling Car.

The new BMW M3 came in 7th out of 8, only beating the Mazda MP3. And all of this testing was done on the racetrack, and not based purely on skidpad and 1/4 mile type numbers.

I'd dig that article up, but I believe I recycled the magazine last week. I've been searching for the article on their website; it's an indication of how porky the new M3 is.

Pat

got torque?
07-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Pat

We've been told that we have similar lap times, but that doesn't necessarily mean I believe it :D

At a track like Mosport, I think that the C5 would win. I've been out there in a stock C5, and it was scary fast. Passed M3's like they were parked on the straighaway. I just don't see how the M3 could make up for such a torque deficiency on a track with a one mile uphill straighaway. We'll never know for sure so we should probably drop this one.....

Finally somebody sees my point on comparison tests- Road&Track seems to be the only mag that understands.

GT?

GR8 Ride
07-31-2002, 05:57 PM
Well, my laptimes are better than yours at Mosport if you keep blowing that 2-3 shift coming out of turn 5.....

Even Will and Allan managed to pass you that session.... Covell couldn't have been too far behind.... :moon:

Pat

SickFinga
08-01-2002, 11:18 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/1997/September/199709_feature_thebe.xml

Bad Man
08-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Bring it on!

Bring the motha f$%#in' race on--
~~~you know Corvettes are gonna lose....

Bring your finest and we'll bring ours (M3s, M5s, even the hot Z8)

Now get ya ass out n run!!!!

Holla!
:cool:

Jon@Bimmersport
08-02-2002, 01:54 PM
hey man...i dont think u wanna do that...corvettes are straight line machines...they come stalk like 13sec! then theres a guy that randy was tellin me bout with a 1200hp corvette in gta! my cuzins 77 vette will rape any bimmer on the road...even m3, it kept up with e46 m3 i think too and slowly pulled away....corvettes arent something to mess with on the road, unless u have a car like van's plus a lot of nitrous, and for the track...try a new z06! *love*

SickFinga
08-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
my cuzins 77 vette will rape any bimmer on the road...even m3, it kept up with e46 m3 i think too and slowly pulled away....corvettes arent something to mess with on the road, unless u have a car like van's plus a lot of nitrous, and for the track...try a new z06! *love*

any???
hmm tell him to race e30 with s50/s52 or try to race TurboCa's bimmer :D

P.S. if it's stock 77 vette, I don;t believe u

Jon@Bimmersport
08-02-2002, 03:39 PM
its nto stock....my cuzin claims 400 at the wheels or something....i am not sure...i will double check with him....but no he wont races, its his dads car and my cuzin respects it, plus his dads a cop....so he rarely lets him take the vette out due to all the racing history in the past few months

got torque?
08-02-2002, 04:13 PM
Bad Man

Give your head a shake. The best that Corvette has to offer, the Z06, will kill ANY BMW at the dragstrip. Same goes for a race track. (Sorry to interrupt your fantasy.)

Don't believe me? Go look up the numbers. They don't lie.

I don't know why people continue to dispute something that is FACT.

BMW's do a lot of things that Corvettes don't and vice versa so why not just enjoy your car and leave it at that. Try to race a Z06 Vette and you will LOSE.

GT?

SickFinga
08-02-2002, 04:18 PM
don't u think that it is a little unfair comparing 4 seater vs 2 seater?

I think it would be more fair comparing
z8 vs z06
m coupe vs c5

what do u think?

Jon@Bimmersport
08-02-2002, 05:23 PM
hmm...sure that wud be good....

0-100km/h

z8 --- 4.7sec
z06 --- 4.0sec

both are 6spd...these are from the bmw and chevrolet sites

corvette coupe --- 4.6sec (6spd) 4.9sec (auto)
m coupe --- 5sec (6spd)

even the auto corvette can beat the m coupe in 0-100km! and the coupe in 6spd is faster than the z8, u cant beat a corvette for value, the z06 is 51 000 USD, the z8 is 130 000 USD

im not saying bmw is bad, but u cant compare bmw to chevrolet for performance cars.

GR8 Ride
08-02-2002, 05:34 PM
don't u think that it is a little unfair comparing 4 seater vs 2 seater?

I think it would be more fair comparing
z8 vs z06
m coupe vs c5

what do u think?

What do the number of seats have to do with it?

Let's compare prices for Z8 vs a Z06. Let's try 3 times the price, and you know what, I still think the Z06 would take the Z8 on a track like Mosport.

On the track, the M Coupe / M Roadster is a twitchy vehicle to drive. Short wheelbase, older suspension design in the rear and a high power to weight ratio make it a *bastard* to drive on the track. Unlike the M3, it's not a user-friendly car on the road course. It's more akin to driving a Porsche, than it is like it's bigger brother (the M3, any flavour).

The Z06 is a remarkably easy car to drive on the track. In stock form, a good driver can get one into the low 1:30s on a track like Mosport, with nothing added in but R-compound tires and track quality brake pads.

The BEST BMW Club Racers get into the low 1:30s at Mosport with highly modified cars, stripped interiors, full roll cages and race quality suspensions. It's not even close.

The M Coupe to C5 could be a closer comparison, but the C5 will be much easier to haul around than the M Coupe would be.

That being said, I think the M Coupe would be more fun to drive, assuming one had the skill to drive it.

Pat

notjoe
08-07-2002, 08:01 PM
I have a 328i and have played with a vette not too long ago. We were going up Albion to 50 when we came up to this yellow vette. I throttled the car and went a head and then slowed back down to him, he looked over at me and smiled, i smiled back and all i saw after that was his ass for maybe about 5 car lengths or so.

I am almost sure he wasnt even pushing it all the way either.

This is just my encounter with vettes.

Joe

Originally posted by MTRD
Guys, please remember this guy has a "fake" M3 and that its really a 328. So any story about him beating a corvette is BS, an M3 would lose to a Corvette, so how could a 328 beat one? No offense Maximus, but you asked for it. I had a 4.44 racing diff. in my old car and it was fast, but I wouldn't make up any BS. Its pretty easy to tell if the guy is flooring it or not, because if the vette was you would be in his rear view mirror.

Anyways, the only thing that really annoys me about you is the fact that you tell us you didn't make it a "fake" M3 on purpose. Now everyone thinks you have an M3 because you even said that you did when infact it wasn't. If Mike and Vlad didn't point out the differences you would probably still say you had one. Just for the sake of not confusing people and being a wannabe, please remove that out of your "my ride" section. Thanks

Bryan