PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Custom made cold air intakes CAI

Adriano
10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I have decided to go with a different setup and I am going to sell my CAI. This is a completely custom system designed and manufactured by yours truly.

I compared many Cold Air Intakes form various BMW performance companies and came to the conclusion that I could make one myself that would be 100% more efficient, look 200% better and would be only 75% of the cost.

I fabricated the heat shield from 1/8” aluminum sheet metal that is welded solid at all seams. The outside of the shield is covered in aluminized heat shielding to provide double the heat reflection. I used a mandrel to bend 3” aluminum show tubing for the intake. A heat shield cover was machined using a Wire-cut EDM then chrome dipped. I use rubber well-nuts and stainless steel screws to mount the heat shield cover. I also used rubber seals everywhere as you can see in the pictures. I incorporated clips on the 3” tube to the MAS sensor so the CAI can easily be disassembled by simply unclipping the tube.

For anyone that has heard my car, you will agree that this CAI sounds amazing because the sound resonates the aluminum shield (as opposed to cheap plastic)!

I am open to offers on this unit and I am also deciding if I should go into full production with these units.

It would be comparable in price to AA and ECIS if not cheaper and I will guarantee that mine would work better. I would offer it in standard mode (much louder) and also with a 2nd layer of heat shielding (also more quiet). They will work with Euro ellipsoids, ZKWs, InPros etc. What would you guys be willing to pay for these?

qimis
10-04-2004, 11:49 AM
For anyone that has heard my car, you will agree that this CAI sounds amazing because the sound resonates the aluminum shield (as opposed to cheap plastic)!

it really does sound AMAZING ! i was gonna buy this for my car, for the sake of the sound, but it wont fit. *sad*

i have the sound clip, if any buyer is interested in. *th-up*

Miguel
10-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Does this intake shoot any lasers or rockets?

Adriano
10-04-2004, 12:49 PM
it really does sound AMAZING ! i was gonna buy this for my car, for the sake of the sound, but it wont fit. *sad*

i have the sound clip, if any buyer is interested in. *th-up*

YEA! post the sound clip!

Adriano
10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Does this intake shoot any lasers or rockets?

It could for the right price! :D :D :D *uzi*

sthomas
10-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Will this work with the stock cruise control setup (which I believe is bside the airbox)?

Adriano
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Will this work with the stock cruise control setup (which I believe is bside the airbox)?

Yes sir! *th-up* Take a look at the pictures (#5) and you will see the cruise control unit.

Waterwings
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
how much man? i like

Adriano
10-04-2004, 02:09 PM
how much man? i like

Considering that the AA unit goes for $350 US, how about in the neibourhood of $350 Canadian? If I get a large order then I can reduce the cost even more. This woud even come with the air filter.

If there is no interest in mass production then I will sell mine for $250

T-spec
10-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Very amazing work as always man!

Waterwings
10-04-2004, 04:59 PM
i will buy yours for 250 man:D

Big Chin
10-04-2004, 05:01 PM
How many people would you need for it to be considered mass?

Adriano
10-04-2004, 05:16 PM
How many people would you need for it to be considered mass?

5 people - worth my while to produce
10 people - target amount
25 people - mass
50 people - I make a die to stamp them and cost goes down $50

Antz_Marchin
10-04-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm liking it.....Picture look really nice especially with that sweet cover on it........if you were to produce them is there a chance of getting some Dyno results to show, cause I'm leaning towards an ECIS right now because of sound and dyno results (proven 10rwhp, 6rwtorque)....looking for min 10rwhp if I'm gonna spend the $$.

As far as sound goes, I'm looking for a nice roar at higher revs and WOT (over 4000) but want to be able to drive to the end of my street in 2nd without waking people up...Will the second plastic heatshield accomplish this??

What type of set-up is this one? It looks like an easy install/clean system like the ECIS or JC.....I'm not up for a pain in the ass bumper removal like the Dinan style. Thanks -BJ

Adriano
10-04-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm liking it.....Picture look really nice especially with that sweet cover on it........
Thanks
if you were to produce them is there a chance of getting some Dyno results to show, cause I'm leaning towards an ECIS right now because of sound and dyno results (proven 10rwhp, 6rwtorque)....looking for min 10rwhp if I'm gonna spend the $$.
I will not waste profit to get dyno results. The reason I can save $100 from the ECIS unit is because I am cutting overhead. I can guarentee that you will be getting better quality then ECIS and if they say 10rwhp then mine will produce the same if not more because of the aluminum double sheilding and 1/8" aluminum wall intake pipe. It is the same principale as theirs but mine is MUCH higher quality- K&N - tube - heat sheild so why waste time dyno testing when they have already done it.

As far as sound goes, I'm looking for a nice roar at higher revs and WOT (over 4000) but want to be able to drive to the end of my street in 2nd without waking people up...Will the second plastic heatshield accomplish this??
A plastic heatshield will not sound 1/2 as good as my aluminum one. As I said before, the sound from the intake resonates the aluminum and amplifies it as opposed to plastic which absorbs it. Dude, you should hear my car! P.S. an intake will not make the difference of waking people up. If you were talking about exhaust then I would be concerned.

What type of set-up is this one? It looks like an easy install/clean system like the ECIS or JC.....I'm not up for a pain in the ass bumper removal like the Dinan style. Thanks -BJ
VERY EASY. Does not require you to remove anything other then the old air box.

Len......... POST THE DAMN INTAKE SOUND!!!! *par-t*

Adriano
10-04-2004, 08:14 PM
One more thing:
I can sell JUST the heat sheild minus the cover for $240 CDN. This is the same as ECIS but mine is 10 times better (1/8" aluminum, double sheilding available, mine covers aprox 15% more area of sheilding then ECIS.
Double heat sheild add $20
Chromed cover $110
Powder coated cover $75
These are only ROUGH prices as I will finalize the costs when I see how much interest is available and pre-order amount.

Antz_Marchin
10-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Can't tell 100% ....is the one in your pics, chromed or powdered?? looks nice and shiny/clean.

Also, I know it's no Copper or Stainless but Aluminum is still a decent conductor of heat.....do you find that the aluminum isolates the tube enough from the heat of the engine without any transmittance.

Sorry for all the questions but after a month of research, I had decided on the ECIS which was all but bought until I saw this post..........now I'm back to 2 to decide from.

qimis
10-04-2004, 10:56 PM
i can't post it :( i dont have a website to host the file. i tried to send it to you thru email, but it's too big (10Mb), if you have msn, i can send it to you.

Adriano
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
i can't post it :( i dont have a website to host the file. i tried to send it to you thru email, but it's too big (10Mb), if you have msn, i can send it to you.

Email it biotch *th-up*

Adriano
10-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Can't tell 100% ....is the one in your pics, chromed or powdered?? looks nice and shiny/clean.
That one is chromed which is more costly to do. The AA unit is powder coated and the ECIS doesn't come with one.

Also, I know it's no Copper or Stainless but Aluminum is still a decent conductor of heat.....do you find that the aluminum isolates the tube enough from the heat of the engine without any transmittance.
Aluminum is the best material for radiant heat reflection which in this case is what you want. It is a good conductor if you have it touching something hot but it reflects heat otherwise. In my design, there are actually 3 seperate heat isolators #1 Aluminum heat coating (option) #2 Aluminum heat sheilding and #3 Intake pipe. This is why if you ever look under your car, you will see that all the heat sheilding between your exhaust and your body is sheet aluminum.

Sorry for all the questions but after a month of research, I had decided on the ECIS which was all but bought until I saw this post..........now I'm back to 2 to decide from.
No problem.

Antz_Marchin
10-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Ok I'm in.........I just opted out of an "new" ECIS CAI of which only the heatshield had been installed for $205US to support a fellow max member. My budget was in the $300CAN area so I'm hoping that we can get enough interest for me not to have to exceed this by much, since my ECIS will be gone and I'm poor as hell *thmbsdwn* .

Just want to ask to be sure, you haven't had any problems with codes or errors form this intake on your car have you?? I've heard of some CAI's possibly doing this due to increased air flow and just wanted to ask to be 100% sure.

Adriano
10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Ok I'm in.........I just opted out of an "new" ECIS CAI of which only the heatshield had been installed for $205US to support a fellow max member. My budget was in the $300CAN area so I'm hoping that we can get enough interest for me not to have to exceed this by much, since my ECIS will be gone and I'm poor as hell *thmbsdwn* .

Just want to ask to be sure, you haven't had any problems with codes or errors form this intake on your car have you?? I've heard of some CAI's possibly doing this due to increased air flow and just wanted to ask to be 100% sure.

I do must say that I have not installed this on any other car other then mine so I don't know if 1 out of 50 might have this problem. I, myself have never heard of this happening and I have never had this problem with my system.

Again, I am still debating on doing this so don't completely opt out of the ECIS system just yet. Even if I do manufacture these, they are still 1-2 weeks away and I am not final on price so keep that in mind. *wave*

Adriano
10-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Very amazing work as always man!

Thanks again T *th-up*

qimis
10-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Email it biotch *th-up*

file's too big (10Mb). *sad*
unless you got msn msgr / Y! msgr / icq.

ZiMMie
10-05-2004, 11:31 AM
file's too big (10Mb). *sad*
unless you got msn msgr / Y! msgr / icq.
send it to me on msn ill Xdrive it :)

jmalixi
10-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I have an E46 so it's obviously not applicable to my car but I just can't help but admire the work you've done. Very nice *th-up*

windsor318is
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
guys you gotta host the sound clip, theres no CAI kit that sounds anywhere near it.... i wish the bastard would make me one LOL!!!

JPWheelr
10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
I am interested in one, especially at $250CAD
Any idea on shipping, availability, etc?

ZiMMie
10-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow it does sound sweet. E30 Guys let him make one for us :D

Save Target As. (http://download.xdrive.com/XDRequestDispatcher?action=NonXShareDownload&claim_check=010558242uFtHG9WjH84DZUucZGw)

qimis
10-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow it does sound sweet. E30 Guys let him make one for us :D

Save Target As. (http://download.xdrive.com/XDRequestDispatcher?action=NonXShareDownload&claim_check=010558242uFtHG9WjH84DZUucZGw)

thanks man !

Adriano
10-05-2004, 06:45 PM
WOW! Thank you very much ZiMMie and Qimis. I appreciate the help. Leonard, I forgot that you had that clip! LOL. I just can’t believe the overwhelming interest from Max. I am going to get on this project ASAP. I cannot give an exact ETA but within the next couple of weeks I should have a few prototypes knocked out.

Keep in mind that in that video clip, I am using the FACTORY M3 exhaust!
You guys will really hear how it sounds when I post my movie (very shortly). I will also be at bimmercruise with it on. I won’t have time for my other mod because I am installing a Stage II UUC 8.5 flywheel and M5 clutch and that will take me a while.

jmalixi and to everyone else, thank you for the compliments. *wave*

qimis
10-05-2004, 09:51 PM
^^ hehe ...... no problem mr. bond, oh i have the video clip of your NOS perch also ... pssssshhhhhhh psssshhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!! :D

Miguel
10-06-2004, 12:10 PM
so whats the final price on an intake chromed? I guess Im in if only to please Ryan who is flabergasted at my current intake setup.

RO-bemve
10-06-2004, 07:17 PM
How about an e30 heatshield? I'm in desperate need of one.

Big Chin
10-07-2004, 05:29 PM
hey man got a location or a number so we can talk about this more?

Thx Chin

Adriano
10-08-2004, 09:19 PM
OK, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was in Tennessee for business for the last 3 days. I am now pricing bulk aluminum sheets and bulk chroming. I will post final pricing very soon. Please be patient. I am also trying to get the car drivable for bimmercruise. We can discuss it there if you guys come. After bimmercruise, I will make 10 and see where the price point will be.

Rally318ti
10-09-2004, 12:09 AM
All I'm sayin is I'm IN!!!!!!! When & when do u start`Adriano?? :)

kontesto
10-09-2004, 03:14 AM
*sigh* Anything for an A4?

mai
10-15-2004, 12:13 PM
pum !!!me too!!! i'm in

325isRED
10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Send me a PM, with all the price details please.. im in for sure...

Adriano
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Send me a PM, with all the price details please.. im in for sure...

Again guys, please be patient. I am ordering material now and determining cost at this time. I will post all pricing and options within the next week or two. *wiggle*

Adriano
10-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I finished digitizing my CAI to develop the CAD data so I can start producing these things. I just wanted everyone to get an update on how the progress is going. I also ordered all the aluminum sheet metal. By next week, I SHOULD have 1 or 2 prototypes finished.

In this picture I am using a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) to turn the prototype CAI into CAD data for later machining.

325isRED
10-24-2004, 10:35 PM
lookin good, i'm looking forward to a finished product!

Adriano
10-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Sorry for the slow going guys but the material is in and the CAD data is done. I am making fixtures to weld all the parts together now.

Here is a rendered CAD drawing. *wiggle*

1BADRIDE
10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I want one of those machines!!!

Glenn 328is
10-31-2004, 10:12 PM
I am interested too. I was planning on ECIS as well, but this looks and sounds much better. Keep us updated. Thanks.

bimmer318ti
10-31-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm in,if the price is right..

when you get enough people PM with the price. :cool:

Adriano
11-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey!!! *mumble*
Someone is doing the same thing as me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935241213&category=38634

WOW! check out the high quality! :D :D :D

Glenn 328is
11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
I am still waiting for yours to become available...

mai
12-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey!!! *mumble*
Someone is doing the same thing as me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935241213&category=38634

WOW! check out the high quality! :D :D :D
wow what's a quality !!!!!???? i'm waitting for ur CAI ,adriano
THANKS .

Adriano
12-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Go to the updated pictures here: *love*
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=509066&posted=1#post509066

*wave*

mai
07-22-2005, 11:49 AM
hi!!adriano
i'm still waiting for your CAI .thanks

BmW1718
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
lol iam will take one to it will fit e30??

keven
07-26-2005, 01:08 AM
i am very interested u make one for an 93 318i a pm would be nice thanx *wave*

Cosmic 325i
07-26-2005, 08:02 AM
do you still have any of these for sale? how much?

Glenn 328is
07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Perhaps his machine shop is damn busy, as everyone is nowadays, but I am still interested as well....

Adriano
07-26-2005, 12:19 PM
OK guys, I am REALLY sorry for putting everyone off for so long. I have sold about half a dozen of these and had a problem with my mandrel supplier for the pipes. I since then found a new supplier and am now off making them again. We are swamped with work at this time but I will be posting up good and bad news very shortly on this thread. Please check back because I am now getting in to the carbon fiber scene.