PDA

View Full Version : Do It Now Or Wait for E90

trion
09-29-2004, 11:48 AM
OK, time has come for me to do a hand-me-down of my E36 to my bro so I'm going car shopping and what do I want? Hmmm, let me think..... another 3!!! Question is which one.

Well, first I wanted an 04 320i and was heart set on it till diabolical Vanc dealer suggests I try a 325i just for comparision., One word, SWEET. So out goes the certainty and in comes the confusion. 320 or 325, 320 or 325..... :rolleyes:

Then I see pics and read all the talk of the E90. Seen the pics and looks ok, not the mangled (or bangled) monster I was fearing and that adds to the confusion, do it now or wait for the E90.Though I think the present E46 still has an edge in the looks dept.

What do you think. Go 320, bite the bullet and go 325 or just hang on for a few months and then grab a E90?

Tend to do mostly city miles so will I need the extra the 325 gives?

Waiting to hear opinions

Antz_Marchin
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey man, go for the E46 325 (I'd say the 325Ci) hands down. Some extra power, better stock wheels, Can't get a 320Ci, not even sure if you can get sports pack on the 320?? But the 325 is much better for the $$ than the 320. 320 just strikes me as a base A to B car for somebody who wants the BMW emblem on their car.

As far as the E90, I beg of you not to spend your $$$ on this monstrosity. The E46 is beautiful and the E90 ........well....... *uzi*

djcontra
09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
if you have the patience to wait for the e90, the I'd go that route. Of course, the initial prices will be inflated, but again if you wait a little longer it'll be more reasonable.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/B/bmw/3-series/03-large/f3q-action.jpg

Paul540/m3
09-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Get the E46 now (probably the 320, or if you ahve the extra cash 325) and wait a bit untill after the e90 has been released for a bit and prices come down and trade in the e46 for the e90 if you like it, or if you dont like it then just keep the e46
my 2cents

ambasah
09-30-2004, 12:02 PM
why not wait til the e90 comes out? The $$ for all E46's will drop significantly once it's out.

Gamite
09-30-2004, 01:42 PM
get an M, I don't care which one, E36, E46.. if you get a M, you will not be dissapointed.

And like ambasah said, if the price goes down when the E90 comes out, you might be able to land an E46 M.

Quack
09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
if you wait for the E90 that means you will be getting the first year production ones right? ther might be a lot of lemons on the first year productions, I would rather get the last year production of a E46

lvan
09-30-2004, 03:38 PM
4 door E90will be out earlier then 2 door just like were E46..I would go with E90 just later year and to able to get 2nd year production model.

Gianpaolo_E46
09-30-2004, 06:30 PM
the E90 probably wont be out for another year plus u might wanna hold off on buying a new car from a brand new generation cause they usually have there problems, esp if they put idrive and all the bullshit in

Understated
09-30-2004, 06:35 PM
get an M, I don't care which one, E36, E46.. if you get a M, you will not be dissapointed.

And like ambasah said, if the price goes down when the E90 comes out, you might be able to land an E46 M.

sound advice

d12
09-30-2004, 07:30 PM
just wondering, you going to lease it ? if so how much for 325 and 320 ? i was checking out prices on bmw.ca but i'm 100% sure they will give it at lower price when you talk face to face

chopper
10-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I think the e90 is a little ugly and will defintiely be overpriced and will have a few bugs in the first run. The benefit of the e90 is the extra performance numbers you will get, but from the sounds of it, you dont care that much about the extra oompph.

Go for the 325...the 320 is pretty much a stripped down version of the 325/330 and you will regret not having the full features that BMW offers their drivers. 320s are for people who just want the badge but dont appreciate why these cars are so good.. MY two cents.

trion
10-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Sorry for the late reply but was out of town for a couple of days.

Thanks for the info and opinions so far.

Yeah I will be buying it new and probably without a lease. As for price of the cars, well SA says lets work it out when it gets closer to buying time. I'm ok with that cos don't want to make him feel like I'm jerking him around getting quotes all over town and he reckons that the closer to X'mas the better chance he may be able to tweek the prices to a more acceptable figure.

Chopper's right in that I am not too concerned with extra vroom, just as long as I can overtake with minimum amount of time on the wrong side of the road and get some zoom when I want it not when the car feels like it. That's what I felt in the 325, it just seemed to have a little more urgency, but it might be a cognitive thing so not too sure. Any opinions?

Regarding the M3s, I mean I think the M3s are great lookers and I'm sure handle like nothing else but seriously, it would be overkill for me.

As for the E90, if it has some super compelling feature like much better milage or drop dead handling then yeah, I'll hang out for it.But from what I've been able to find out, engine wise it will be pretty much the same as in the current 325 but with valvetronic (which I hear loses some power the higher up the rev range you go)and with a 6 speed box instead of the current 5. Also, Quack is on the money with one of my concerns of the high citrus factor of a first run production. Anyone wanna chip in on this?

BTW, it will have to be a step or else the better half will be driving the car around in 1st all day:D Nah, she's ok with a manual, just prefers a step so who am I to argue.

Does anyone have any feedback on what milage the 320 and 325 gets and what to expect for the E90? Let me know if you think the milage question should go into a seperate thread but this is one question I am eager to get the answer on.

Thanks again and and waiting for all your further thoughts after my little rant.

Have a great weekend everyone
:)