PDA

View Full Version : importing a car ??

jeremy
09-23-2004, 10:29 PM
does anyone know what is involved in buying, then shipping a car from california to canada ? will i get busted with major bills at the border ? can you say it's being sent for repairs so you don't get hit with duties and then license it in canada ?

any help would be appreciated.

Acidblast
09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
i found a little info on Willz leasing website. here's the link http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm As far as i know when my brother shipped over his '95 M3 from California to Toronto he had to pay taxes, duty, and made sure the car met canadian standards such as stronger bumpers and emissions. he spent roughly $8,000CDN bringing his US M3 to canada. hope that helps

Manimillion
09-23-2004, 10:44 PM
can you say it's being sent for repairs so you don't get hit with duties and then license it in canada ?

People bitch about the health care, roads and education etc. then they turn around and say stuff like this...

There is probably no way of you getting a car in without paying duties, you have to make sure you got insurance for the vehicle before it enters Canada, then you have to make sure it complies with Canadian standards, if it doesn't comply with the Canadian standards, or if the car isn't running you got a certain period of time(I think it was 2 weeks) to fix it/ make it comply with Transport Canada standards, and off you go.

These are what I remember off the top of my head, I might have missed out a cuople of point, I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is for Canadian's, but I know that I don't have to meet the safety standards and/or emissions. *wiggle*

jeremy
09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
People bitch about the health care, roads and education etc. then they turn around and say stuff like this...

There is probably no way of you getting a car in without paying duties, you have to make sure you got insurance for the vehicle before it enters Canada, then you have to make sure it complies with Canadian standards, if it doesn't comply with the Canadian standards, or if the car isn't running you got a certain period of time(I think it was 2 weeks) to fix it/ make it comply with Transport Canada standards, and off you go.

These are what I remember off the top of my head, I might have missed out a cuople of point, I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is for Canadian's, but I know that I don't have to meet the safety standards and/or emissions. *wiggle*

the car is basically a roller...the motor is pretty much pooched..... i was thinking of tossing my m3 motor in it

Manimillion
09-23-2004, 10:48 PM
the car is basically a roller...the motor is pretty much pooched..... i was thinking of tossing my m3 motor in it

The best thing would be calling Transport Canada Office and talking to them personally. I know the rules but like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are for you guys, but I'm pretty positive that there is a time period for the car to be up and running.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

jeremy
09-23-2004, 10:53 PM
cool....my mom actualy works for transport canada...i guess i could ask her....she might kick me in the ass though

Quack
09-23-2004, 10:57 PM
so what is this roller? are you going to keep this a secret, come on tell us :D

jeremy
09-23-2004, 11:12 PM
so what is this roller? are you going to keep this a secret, come on tell us :D

nothing special...just an e30 318is

i cant get the friggin' pics to work...look here: http://www.freepichosting.com/Albums/421557399.html

Lee in Ottawa
09-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Where'd u find that Jer, whats wrong with it?

jeremy
09-23-2004, 11:22 PM
i will NEVER tell....the motor is pooched....dont go cock blockin me

Lee in Ottawa
09-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Don't have the time or patience to haul my ass all the way to LA for an e30 even though it looks mint on mint.I'd never hate on another mans project

jeremy
09-23-2004, 11:24 PM
i would have to have it shipped here...

Quack
09-23-2004, 11:26 PM
looks pretty clean, interior is pretty mint, the price must be good for you to get a car from so far

jeremy
09-23-2004, 11:41 PM
looks pretty clean, interior is pretty mint, the price must be good for you to get a car from so far

yup....good price...i e-mailed will from willz.ca to see what it would cost ..

BMW BMXer
09-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I payed
7% tax
ac tax

had to have ins first, I think thats it.

jeremy
09-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I payed
7% tax
ac tax

had to have ins first, I think thats it.

where did you bring it from ?

M50E30
09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Jeremy,

Why get a 318? I'm shure you can find a 325 with a blown engine/snapped timing belt (so the swap will be that much easier).

Dave

punnzzells
09-24-2004, 01:06 AM

Who the F*ck cares about the gov't... it's eaither screw them or they screw you!

jeremy
09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Jeremy,

Why get a 318? I'm shure you can find a 325 with a blown engine/snapped timing belt (so the swap will be that much easier).

Dave

i've been looking around for awhile....if you find something, please let me know....plus this car is in TIt-ASS condition

jeremy
09-24-2004, 10:03 AM
wow...i e-mailed will...looks like it would be alittle more than expected...boooo

"Yah, sure not a problem. How do you intend on getting
it here? Anticipate that the shipping alone will be
about $1000 US from California to Buffalo. The
transborder stuff I can handle for you. Depending on
the date of production, the costs will vary a bit from
$700 to $1200, if you want me to handle the
registration aspects of the car in Ontario.

Cheers,
Will"

M50E30
09-24-2004, 10:16 AM
wow...i e-mailed will...looks like it would be alittle more than expected...boooo

"Yah, sure not a problem. How do you intend on getting
it here? Anticipate that the shipping alone will be
about $1000 US from California to Buffalo. The
transborder stuff I can handle for you. Depending on
the date of production, the costs will vary a bit from
$700 to $1200, if you want me to handle the
registration aspects of the car in Ontario.

Cheers,
Will"

Jeremy,

Importing is a real PITA but you can save yourself alot of money if you do it yourself instead of paying someone to do it. I'm not putting Will down but if you are on a budget then do some homework on the importing laws and save yourself a lot of money...I know since I was going to import an E30 Touring several years back.

Dave