PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Tires

Simby
09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey. I'm looking to get probably Michelin all seasons for my car. I live in Edmonton so there will be snow in the winter! If there's tons of snow, I won't be driving. Which Michelin's should I get? How much do they cost roughly? Thanks!

Simon

rico328i
09-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Simon,

What car are you putting them on? What kind of driving do you plan on doing?

Rico

Mystikal
09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Shopping for tires based on brand name isn't smart. But if you're really stuck on Michelin, the Pilot Sport A/S is the one to get. Pricey as hell though.

Quack
09-22-2004, 10:41 PM
I would really encourage you to buy seperate tires for summer & winter, all-season tires don't cut it, they suck in the snow, sucks in the rain, and also sucks when it's dry, awhile back I had what Michelin called the best all-season tires they made the X-One, boy did they suck no grip all year round

Simby
09-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I drive a 2000 323. It's just city driving.

What if I get summer and winter then? Which winter tires?

Jordan
09-22-2004, 10:47 PM
All season tires are generally designed to meet the needs of your "normal" driver. Which is a rolling slab or rubber with some slits in it to disperse water at 35mph.

All season tires do not meet a single one of the needs of a more "enthusiastic" driver.

Everything that carries Michelins name is grossly overpriced.

2 sets of wheels and 2 sets of tires for cars driven in the winter.

rico328i
09-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Agree!!! Best way to do it is 2 sets of wheels. 1 for summer and the other for winter. Especially for us Canadians up here. Post earlier was completely correct about most/all of the All Seasons not doing any 1 thing well. Trust us. It only takes 1 winter incident to pay for a set of winter wheels!!!! They're worth it. Plus the performance alone of summer only tires makes it all worth while!

I use Dunlop Winter M3's (H rated).

Rico

Mystikal
09-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Which winter tires?

Since you have a 323i, you can run 15" wheels in the winter which is great. Cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, less unsprung weight.

In the sizes you'd need (195/65/15 or 205/60/15) there are a bunch of good winter tires, including the Dunlop SP Sport M3, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18, Pirelli SnowSport 210, etc. Just get an H-rated or above tire. For good ratings and tests, go here: www.tirerack.com

thinair
09-22-2004, 11:24 PM
I used to live in Edmonton, I remember what the winters were like, all seasons shouldn't even be considered for the winter. Get a real winter tire, or take the bus. All seasons might come in handy for the rest of the year, but not when the 'real' snow falls.