PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket or OEM External options ???

drkcyd
07-12-2002, 10:38 PM
After reading a number of posts, I'm starting to wonder about the logic regarding some replies when people ask about installing OEM or Aftermarket parts on their car...It appears that the majority of responses are informing posters to always go with OEM approved parts.... (spoilers,lights,mirrors) While I understand concerns about the fit/look.... it seems no one is giving consideration to the cost of the part vs the age of the vehicle...Why would you pay a few thousand dollars extra in OEM modifications into a car which you may only keep for 5-6 years at best....If the car isn't going to be a classic, or you are not going to be showing the car....why go with the high end modification ?

It is no better than some of the riceboys. Unless you have a "M" series there really isn't much payback. When you try to sell your car you mave even get less for it due to the modifications.

The 3 series is the most prevalent of all BMW models, it is a classic car but really not a collectors item due to it's popularity.

When all is said and done...it's all about perspective...

SickFinga
07-13-2002, 02:57 AM
non-OEM part or cheap aftermarket fakes are SH*T trust me on this one.
I got fake euro taillights and headlights. Hard to fit and it is not even streight. If you don't care about looks why do you wanna do something to your car? keep it stock. but if you wanna buy something buy an original one.

djcontra
07-13-2002, 03:24 PM
out of all the aftermarket parts i've seen, i'll agree they dont look as good as OEM, but personally i could care less.
I've currently got front clears from procarparts.com that i paid $18 for, and they've lasted more than a year now with no cracks, yellowing, or problems during installation.
I would probably go with OEM for tail lights though as they seem to last longer and are much more expensive aftermarket or oem.
But for smaller items like front clears, side clears, etc i'd probably go aftermarket.

drkcyd
07-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Sick finga...we all know you love off your ryde...I would to if I had an M3 !!!!!..... but many of people on this forum do not, and that is the point that I am trying to make.....it makes no sense if you have a 318, 316, 325 (exclude IC) to spend thousands of dollars on OEM body parts just to say that your ryde is stock....some of the kids on this forum are wasting money trying to keep up with the jones's ...when all is said and done, buy what you want if YOU are happy, and the look is not crappy.....that is all that should matter....

JJ.
07-13-2002, 10:16 PM
hey I want to change my ractive mirrors to OEM ones but the Head office dealer quoted my $800 bones just for M3 mirrors and they were on sale!! My $80 Ractives are not OEM quality but $800! Dam!

SickFinga
07-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by drkcyd
Sick finga...we all know you love off your ryde...I would to if I had an M3 !!!!!..... but many of people on this forum do not, and that is the point that I am trying to make.....it makes no sense if you have a 318, 316, 325 (exclude IC) to spend thousands of dollars on OEM body parts just to say that your ryde is stock....some of the kids on this forum are wasting money trying to keep up with the jones's ...when all is said and done, buy what you want if YOU are happy, and the look is not crappy.....that is all that should matter....

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff, what the difference between m3 and 318?
If I would own 318 I would treat it like any other car.
some ppl dreams about 318, and I was one of them about a year ago, who cares if it's m3 or 1981 320 ?
That's my car and I LOVE it.