PDA

View Full Version : If anyone knows... MaxBimmer Knows...

325isRED
09-13-2004, 12:53 AM
I drive a 92 325is, and unfortunatly that is one of the years where there is this 2+ inch strip of stone risistant grey(ugly, why didnt they use black???) coating arround the bottom of my car...
i have read threads and sites on how to remove it myself(which i might try before sending it to a pro)...
but has anyone succesfully done this??
and also, can anyone recomend a good body shop that can do this for me??

Thanks, Adam

Bliss
09-13-2004, 12:57 AM
I believe that the side skirts are just painted grey. If you are good at painting, then you can sand that whole part down, primer it, paint it, and then put a clear coat, but i don't know if you would feel comfortable enough doing it yourself.

Also, i think they use some special "stone protectant" coat on there too.

Take it European Autobody. Amazing work. Good luck.

R_JAY
09-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy 328 or M3 side skirts. I had mine painted and it looked ok for a bit but you still see the roughness. I put 328 skirts that I got from another member on over the winter and they look a bazillion times better. You can get them fairly cheap even at the dealer now ($150 a side or so) or try to find them used and you could probably get both for $150 or less. I recommend 328 skirts because people are always upgrading to the M3 ones. I know this doesn't answer your question but it gives you another option.

Bliss
09-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Do yourself a favor and buy 328 or M3 side skirts. I had mine painted and it looked ok for a bit but you still see the roughness. I put 328 skirts that I got from another member on over the winter and they look a bazillion times better. You can get them fairly cheap even at the dealer now ($150 a side or so) or try to find them used and you could probably get both for $150 or less. I recommend 328 skirts because people are always upgrading to the M3 ones. I know this doesn't answer your question but it gives you another option.

That's true too.*th-up*

duffy325
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY

I third that motion. I also got 328 skirts when I got my car painted, cost me around 280 bucks and made a huge difference in the look of the car.

98323IS
09-13-2004, 10:07 AM
I'll also go along and say get the sideskirts.........10000 times better and not that expensive at all.

djcontra
09-13-2004, 11:11 AM
when I installed my rieger sideskirts yesterday, the grey chip guard simply came off with paint thinner and paper towel :D
(and a lot of hard rubbing)

FastM3
09-13-2004, 12:21 PM
I would go with R_Jay's advice, just change it to a different skirt, and I would suggest the 328 ones too because everyone has the M3 ones.

R_JAY: Your car is amazing! I want to get an E36 and do exactly what you did. Very clean and simple, I love it!!!