PDA

View Full Version : e60 m5 vs e55?


BadBoy330
09-10-2004, 07:10 AM
pls supply any info on which is faster? any tests done?

Quack
09-10-2004, 09:32 AM
don't know which one is fasted, both have impressive specs, but the E55 will have good days & bad due to weather conditions, F/I cars needs the weather to be slightly cooler & less humid, I guess it would be hard to do the test right

AMG_POWER
09-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by nazm
pls supply any info on which is faster? any tests done?

Here's the first test drive.... First M5 testdrive (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/103035/article.html?tid=edmunds.h..wkedmunds.firstdrive.1 g)

We dont know yet which is faster... E55 did 4.2 0-100km/h M5 quoted 4.7 i belive it can be pushed to 4.4 maybe? E55 best runs in a 1/4 was 12.4 @116 mph, M5 noone knows yet.... On the track E55 will not have alot of chances against new m5...It never meant to be a track car anyway.... Specs on the m5 is 500 hp with 369 lbs/trq, E55 has 470 ( it has more then that it was proven on the dyno) hp with 516 lbs/trq...

But for 2300US E55 can be upgraded to 550hp and 580 lbs/trq from evo sport....stage 1, there's stage 2 with 580 hp and 646 lbs/trq for another 2500$...

And i dont think you can play around with M5 engine... But its defenetly will be a great sports car with almost a true F1 engine...

It all depends on your taste, and what you are looking for in the car...*wave*

Peace!

AMG_POWER
09-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Quack
don't know which one is fasted, both have impressive specs, but the E55 will have good days & bad due to weather conditions, F/I cars needs the weather to be slightly cooler & less humid, I guess it would be hard to do the test right

Btw Kleemann installs LSD now for W211 E55 so now for 4000 US you can improve your traction... it has up to 60% lock up....thats what i heard!*th-up*

Quack
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Vlad, I really think you should buy a E55, stop looking at C-class or CLK's they are small & you will regret buying such a small car

AMG_POWER
09-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Quack
Vlad, I really think you should buy a E55, stop looking at C-class or CLK's they are small & you will regret buying such a small car

acctually It looks more and more like it...depedns on how soon my Bro leaves Canada, then i can trade in ML...

Btw do you know do i pay hlaf taxes when i trade in cars?:confused: We did trade in our previous ML430 for ML55 but i dont remember how did it go.... anyone knows?

rost12
09-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Whatever the trade in value of the car is, you save GST from that amount. Say you have an ML that's worth 30k, you're buying a new car that's worth 100k, so you'll only be paying taxes from 70k.

rost12
09-10-2004, 10:49 AM
And who cares which one is faster in a straight line, lol. M5 if you want to DRIVE, E55 if you want to PIMP :)

A black on black E55 with black tints and some HRE rims... *mw*

AMG_POWER
09-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by rost12
And who cares which one is faster in a straight line, lol. M5 if you want to DRIVE, E55 if you want to PIMP :)

A black on black E55 with black tints and some HRE rims... *mw*

Well because you cannot drive M5 how it's meant to be in Canada, i CHoose to PIMP lol:D

tifosi
09-10-2004, 11:51 AM
BMW AG invited 15 journalists 2 weeks ago for the M5 test drive. the Edmund's review is the first review released from that test drive.

AutoCar's review will be out next Tuesday, and BMWCar's review will be out on Sept 16th.

meanwhile, BMW is holding more test drive event in driver training center in Munich Airport with 40 pre-production spec M5 in Interlargos Blue and Silverstone. so we'll be seeing a lot of reviews of the upcoming M5 within this month hopefully!

and don't worry about M5's time agasint E55, because i am sure Auto-Motor-und-Sport will do a thorough test agasint E55 both on acceleartion and track time in the issue that'll be released within few weeks.

AMG_POWER
09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by tifosi

and don't worry about M5's time agasint E55, because i am sure Auto-Motor-und-Sport will do a thorough test agasint E55 both on acceleartion and track time in the issue that'll be released within few weeks.

Why should they do it? We all know that E55 is a slushbox with 0.84g on a skidpad, it has lotsa torqe which cannot be put down due to the lack of traction... Its just so shity of a car, why waste time?... instead i think they should do M5 with RS6 or new cararra S....:D Oh and it's not a track car.... not even close lol

tifosi
09-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
Why should they do it? We all know that E55 is a slushbox with 0.84g on a skidpad, it has lotsa torqe which cannot be put down due to the lack of traction... Its just so shity of a car, why waste time?... instead i think they should do M5 with RS6 or new cararra S....:D Oh and it's not a track car.... not even close lol

they do it purely because M5 is competing with E55. and arguably, E55 is the current benchmark for sportsedan whether we like it or not. and although M5 is obviously not a track car, but testing it round a track is a pretty good indication of what it is capable of nonetheless.

i actually think RS6 might be a bit irrelavent since it's out of production though...

personally, i'd really like to see comparison of E60 M5 and E39 M5 and E55 AMG and maybe a Porsche 911 turbo.

o, one thing i want to add to my previous post. the guy that's reviewing the M5 for AutoCar owns a Lamborghini Gallardo personally. now i am sure that's going to be a very very interesting review!*th-up*

:)

BadBoy330
09-11-2004, 04:16 AM
thanks 4 info guys but although im a die bm fan i still think in straight line speed da merc will have the advantage! y don t bm turbocharge their cars? pride?reliabilty issues? wats da deal?

tifosi
09-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by nazm
thanks 4 info guys but although im a die bm fan i still think in straight line speed da merc will have the advantage! y don t bm turbocharge their cars? pride?reliabilty issues? wats da deal?

that's becasue horsepower rating and straight line acceleration simply aren't M GmbH's priority.

who doesn't know how to slap turbo chargers onto engines to double the horsepower rating of a given engine? after all, BMW is the first manuacture to produce turbo charged cars, i am sure they'll do a good job with force induction if they really want to.

AMG_POWER
09-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by tifosi
that's becasue horsepower rating and straight line acceleration simply aren't M GmbH's priority.

who doesn't know how to slap turbo chargers onto engines to double the horsepower rating of a given engine? after all, BMW is the first manuacture to produce turbo charged cars, i am sure they'll do a good job with force induction if they really want to.

Who doesnt know how to take F1 engine copy it and make a detuned version of it, and shove into the 5 series lol....

I dont think slaping a Supercharger on the car is as easy as it seems.... *no-no*

WhadUpp
09-11-2004, 01:43 PM
GM slaps superchargers like its going out of style too, most companys out there can do easily, but reliability is another issue if they do that and how well they can do it

AMG_POWER
09-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Btw For some reason Mclaren SLR has the same V8 supercharge engine.... Oh and the new FORD GT has a supercharged V8.... so like i guess there is some advantage in it... right?

WhadUpp
09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
The downside of any supercharger is that constant sucking of air and progressive heat build up of the air being sucked results in slower times as you keep hammering the car through out the day basically the best power results early on in the day when you havent run the car too many times

tifosi
09-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
Btw For some reason Mclaren SLR has the same V8 supercharge engine.... Oh and the new FORD GT has a supercharged V8.... so like i guess there is some advantage in it... right?

Gordon Murray, the designer of McLaren F1 and SLR, once said the the best sports car engine is a high revving naturally aspirated V12 engine located right in front of the rear axel. McLaren F1 style. and the only manufactures that is capable of making such engine is BMW, Ferrari, and Honda. however, because McLaren was building F1 to compete with Ferrari F50, and Honda showed lack of interest in supercars, thus he went to negotiate with Pual Roche from BMW Motorsport for an engine for the McLaren F1.

and Gordon Murray also said once in an interview that although he doesn't like Force Induction, but if he doesn't have a choice he'd prefer supercharging because the power delivery is more linear. i guess that's why SLR ended up with a supercharged engine. since Mercedes-Benz didn't have any high revving V12 engine avaliable for McLaren.

in another word, McLaren use supercharged V8 in SLR isnt' because it is superior, but simply becasue they don't have much choice.

as for Ford GT. i think the reason they use supercharged V8 more or less has to do with the original GT40. mind you, although the engine from GT is quite powerful, but it is nothing spectacular, the engine is actually derived from Ford's pickup truck.

WhadUpp
09-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by tifosi
Gordon Murray, the designer of McLaren F1 and SLR, once said the the best sports car engine is a high revving naturally aspirated V12 engine located right in front of the rear axel. McLaren F1 style.

and Gordon Murray also said once in an interview that although he doesn't like Force Induction, but if he doesn't have a choice he'd prefer supercharging because the power delivery is more linear. i guess that's why SLR ended up with a supercharged engine. since Mercedes-Benz didn't have any high revving V12 engine avaliable for McLaren.

in another word, McLaren use supercharged V8 in SLR isnt' because it is superior, but simply becasue they don't have much choice.

as for Ford GT. i think the reason they use supercharged V8 more or less has to do with the original GT40. mind you, although the engine from GT is quite powerful, but it is nothing spectacular, the engine is actually derived from Ford's pickup truck.


WERD

WhadUpp
09-11-2004, 02:29 PM
GT40 has the Lightning pickup engine

///Greco540
09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
The new M5 (E60) is supposed to have an encrypted ECU so tuning will surely be not an option, and I thin that is the direction BMW will be going with future models.

As for which is faster, lets compare F/I against F/I.. You say the E55 goes from 0-100 in 4.2 and 1/4 in 12.4 @ 116... read this....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45776

AMG_POWER
09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
As for which is faster, lets compare F/I against F/I.. You say the E55 goes from 0-100 in 4.2 and 1/4 in 12.4 @ 116... read this....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45776

Yes very impressive numbers! Defently beats stock E55 and New m5... But E55 can be tuned to 580 hp i think it can be faster then that, but you can take civic and make it 10 sec car....so there's always someone faster then you...*th-up*