PDA

View Full Version : Car died! NOOOOOOO

BMW Fan
09-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Last night bout 1ish, my car just stopped on a light and all of the electical/stereo stuff was still working. When I tried starting it again...NOTHING!...not even a turnover or anything.

By the time I brought it home, it started! No problems, I've even driven it around all day today. What do you guys think it is?

The battery/alternator were tested and are fine. Is it maybe just yesterdays weather or what? Something loose? It was just embarrassing, thank God the ladies were out of the car before this.

Miguel
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
wasnt there some problem with the computer getting wet affecting a bmws ability to fire up?

5style
09-09-2004, 04:41 PM
are ur battery terminals screwed on? bmw_7 would have the same problem... car wouldn t even click, and it was untightened battery terminals :)

Justin e36
09-09-2004, 04:43 PM
sounds like your ECU got wet in the rain... I'm more familiar with e36's though.

BMW Fan
09-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Guys I really don't know! Im just getting more and more scared! Just now, at another light I knew that car wanted just put off, some (!) Light came up...but then i released the brakes a bit and the car was able to stay smooth.

What the hell is going on....I've already shown the car to someone today, and he can't really tell what it is. Was a nice guy, but couldn't do it. Everyone says charlie is great - but hes on vacation....lakeside dude is sorta busy.

I just got the car a cpl weeks ago, and I don't understand, and am afraid this is gonna be the first of many more bills.

I've been reading a lot about a prob such as this, could be the 02 sensor, relay, ECU, i don't even know! I don't even know where these things are to be found on the car, really.

If it is the ECU, how do you tell? And how much is this gonna cost me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE...just really really now upset....whats happening to my pimp riiiiide!!!!

paul christians
09-09-2004, 07:01 PM
When you buy the car did you check the back ground on the it???

paul christians
09-09-2004, 07:02 PM
If so..do the o2 sensor and the relary and go from there????????

Justin e36
09-09-2004, 07:15 PM
wait for charlie to get back.

RevShoT
09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
other then when it idles it runs fine?

if it dies at a light, it wont even turn over?

but the radio works....

humm very strange, very strange indeed

im thinking mabey its an electrical fault somewhere in your ignition circut?

sonic07
09-09-2004, 08:51 PM
perhaps you have multiple problems:
battery terminal make sure it's tight. it happened to me at one time. try to start the car, it won't start but lights are on and check the battery terminal it was kind of tight until i push a bit more and it came off loose.
the car was about to stall when pressing the break pedal. It could be vacuum problem or idle control sensor.
... If the stalling always happens at the light, well stay away from the light ..... LOL...j/k

BMW Fan
09-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I just don't know how to go about getting it inspected for the job....BMW said that they'd take $57-107 (depending how long) for every ONE prob.....which i just think they are gonna raise the bill with a lot of BS...

And the other thing is I am afraid that its gonna stop on the highway or something..........or just stop completely, It'd kill me again putting those hazard flashers on again.

I don't know how to check the back grnd on it....

SkycityBMW
09-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Mine did what yours is doing . . . . it was the connection at the battery. It was tight, but not making a clean contact.

Cleaned the terminals and the connectors and now she's fine . . .

Good Luck ! !

M3Turboca
09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
These kind of problems can be a bitch.

If you 12v and ground contacts are fine and the car wont even turn over or make a sound it can be your starter motor.

I had to replace mine last year summer. But the starter does not cause the car to stall so I dont think that could be it.

My problem was after I shut off the car and let it sit for 15mins to 30mins in the summer when its hot outside the car would not start, no click or cranking.

The soleniod was sticking I guess. If I poped the hood and let it sit for atleast 5 to 10mins it would fire up.

If you are stalling I would check battery connections but then again you said you had the battery and alternator check they must have checked the connections ?

BMW Fan
09-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. Im hoping its just the connection. How should I go about checking to see the terminals if they're connected or not, from the back seat or something?? How do i clean the terminals for a clean connection? Im afraid of resetting that antitheft stuff...

Today, Im going to wash the car inside out, take out the back seats and clean em up too (last owner had a dog in it) - I guess whatever i see has anything to do with the battery I'll just push it in more for now.

As for the starter, I might need a new one too, but i don't think it has anything to do with the car just going dead outa nowhere at a light. But sometimes i have to keep the key in to crank it in the mornings, or after not using a car for 1-2hrs or so.

No probs today, but still.....anyone know when Charlie is getting back?

SpudBoy
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Start cleaning connections from the battery while you wait for your PeakReseach tool arrives in the mail. It will pay for itself in no time.

BMW Fan
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey Spudboy, where do i get that tool from? Im really no good with doing the mechanical stuff on cars...like even the battery stuff itself, I get scared shitless if I remove something that something bad will happen.

But if you say I should buy the tool and it will save me money, im strongly considering it...how do I clean up the battery connections??? I know this question might just sound retarded....

SkycityBMW
09-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I use baking soda and water to get the crud off and then I use a wire brush and another wire brush to go inside the round part of the battery cable like a small tooth brush . . .

BMW Fan
09-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I guess I will try to get around cleaning it soon.....the car stopped on me twice now! Really don't know what...Charlie is gone or something, whenever i call there, hes not there and they wont say when he'll be back...

Does anyone here on the board have those tools that I may possibily be able to use in the mean time???

BMW Fan
09-21-2004, 10:31 PM
anyone?

Justin e36
09-21-2004, 11:49 PM
charlie should be back now.

BMW Fan
09-22-2004, 05:25 PM
nope...I called again....the lady once again said "Charlies on holidays" - I asked when he'd be back she said maybe next week...

I am calling the right place - chucks?