PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

325isRED
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Has anyone heard of Cosmo racing or any of their products... there is a full cold air system for most e36's on ebay... they look pretty good because it puts the cone closer to the ground at the bottom of the engine bay as opposed to right behind the lights...
anyone have any experiences with these?
do you guys think its a good buy? i'm thinkin about it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7921381165&category=6763

///MsAniTy
09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
adam pm me your number n i will hook u up with a much better one

paul christians
09-09-2004, 07:05 PM
P.R.M intake.....

RevShoT
09-09-2004, 08:33 PM
goto an exhaust shop get 3" tubing have it bent, should cost you no more then 10 bucks and 20 for the filter, paint it black and ta da cold air intake

sonic07
09-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by RevShoT
goto an exhaust shop get 3" tubing have it bent, should cost you no more then 10 bucks and 20 for the filter, paint it black and ta da cold air intake

I heard alot of people said that there is no different than making it your self. I wonder does cold air intake really does anything?
is it noticable different on performance other than the sound it makes?

paul christians
09-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes it does help a bit........

Mystikal
09-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by sonic07
I heard alot of people said that there is no different than making it your self. I wonder does cold air intake really does anything?
is it noticable different on performance other than the sound it makes?

5-10hp difference in cold-air versus simply shielded cone setups in dyno tests.

sonic07
09-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
5-10hp difference in cold-air versus simply shielded cone setups in dyno tests.

wow .... that sounds very good .... it's like a must have ...

RevShoT
09-10-2004, 12:17 AM
as far as #'s at the track ...
with simple as cold air intake a clutch fan delete i went from a stock 17 sec 1/4 time to a 16.3

shaved .7 seconds off my time with cold air and clutch fan delete

325isRED
09-10-2004, 09:14 AM
so does anyone know anything about this perticular intake?

///MsAniTy
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
negative

sonic07
09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I would suggest doing your own r&d, buy it try it if you don't like it or doesn't work put it back on ebay for sale. I can imagine the bad about that intake is that since the filter is set at the bottom it will pick up alot dirt. I heard there was a really good one, the filter is mounted at the corner by the firewall on the passenger side but never knew who makes it.

325isRED
09-10-2004, 03:22 PM
i also thought about that... but i wouldnt think that dirt would be a huge problem, but the closer to the engine, the hotter the air, also someone mentioned that the headlights produce heat... maybe i will try it out...

sonic07
09-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 325isRED
i also thought about that... but i wouldnt think that dirt would be a huge problem, but the closer to the engine, the hotter the air, also someone mentioned that the headlights produce heat... maybe i will try it out...

sounds good and let us know how it goes ....

djcontra
09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I also vouche for making your own, as it's very easy.
Goto an exhaust shop like ThruWay mufflers, and buy 1 mandrel bent 3" ID J-pipe for $15 or one U-pipe cut in half for $25 (makes two). Then you'll need a length of straight 3" piping to couple onto the J-pipe. Attach a K&N/K&N-Style cone filter that DOES NOT have an inverse cone in the top of it (those suck), and you're all done!
(you'll of course need silicone couplers and clamps as well)

You CAN use plastic piping, or non-mandrel bent metal piping but the plastic WILL warp, and the metal one wont have a slightly restricted airflow, but they'll cost a little less *th-up*

marco328is
09-10-2004, 03:45 PM
i have a cold air intake in my 96 e36 and i usually take it out it the winter and put the stock one in. but this year i took it out yesterday only because my wife is due and i need to make my car a little more quiet for the baby's trip home. believe it or not i think i must have gained about 15hp with my stock air box. the only difference is, i lost the beautiful sound of my car.

sonic07
09-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by marco328is
i have a cold air intake in my 96 e36 and i usually take it out it the winter and put the stock one in. but this year i took it out yesterday only because my wife is due and i need to make my car a little more quiet for the baby's trip home. believe it or not i think i must have gained about 15hp with my stock air box. the only difference is, i lost the beautiful sound of my car.

wow ...that's new... well you just proof that BMW engineer really know what they're doing. ...

thinair
09-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Where are you guys getting your numbers from?

Jay, 5-10hp between a shielded cone and a cold air (I'll assume you mean down into the bumper.)?

Marco, 15hp?

Please, even the best intake in the world won't give you those gains. What they will give you is a little more throttle response and a nice growl, but an intake alone will net you a couple hp. Like 3 if you're lucky.

marco328is
09-10-2004, 07:25 PM
it all depends with the amount of restriction
muffler, air. amd so on
all i am saying is my car performs better without my cold air intake

Mystikal
09-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Jay, 5-10hp between a shielded cone and a cold air (I'll assume you mean down into the bumper.)?

Dyno testing done my magazines on various platforms, mostly Japanese. When they have these "intake shootouts" they split the intakes into two classes, the short ram style with heatsheilds and the full cold air piping system. On average the short models provide maybe 3-7hp peak difference, while the cold systems are 8-17hp peak change. Obviously the largest gains will not be at the peak, so maximum power usually isn't as high as these figures.

djcontra
09-10-2004, 09:04 PM
you'll get those kinds of gains from a cold-air intake at 150km/h or higher only. The magazines obviously had big fans blowing against the front of the car to simulate conditions at those speeds. There wont much gain if at all at non-highway speeds.
(this goes for ram-air too...*th-up*)

suicide
09-11-2004, 11:41 AM
i got a intake from them

thinair
09-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Dyno testing done my magazines on various platforms, mostly Japanese. When they have these "intake shootouts" they split the intakes into two classes, the short ram style with heatsheilds and the full cold air piping system. On average the short models provide maybe 3-7hp peak difference, while the cold systems are 8-17hp peak change. Obviously the largest gains will not be at the peak, so maximum power usually isn't as high as these figures.

Ah, but not tested on a BMW, who's stock airbox is already pretty free flowing.

325isRED
09-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by suicide
i got a intake from them

how do you like it? would you recommend it to someone else??