PDA

View Full Version : how can i open my glove compartment

///M5
09-08-2004, 08:43 PM
hey!
for some reason my glove compatment dosent wanna open, with key or without...can some one help me open it/fix the problem?
its a 1997 528i (E39)
thanks

Quack
09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
yeah it's a common problem, normally I push up on the glove box than I pull the handle, that normally works for me, it's the stupid latch that is causing the problem

///M5
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I jus tried doing this...but it still doent wanna open..
any ideas?

Fern
09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Remove plastic panel under the dash (pull forward then down)

You will see the mounting bar going across with the 2 attachment point clamps - with small bolts/nuts in the centre of each.

Loosen the nuts (do not turn the threaded bolts at this time)

That will loosen the door to allow movement. While pulling on the latch now move the door araound a bit (including in and out) till the latch comes free)

You need to determine if the latch is broken or just not aligned sort of a "guage by eye" situation.

Sometimes the latch is broken and needs to be replaced.

Replacing the door can be trickly to get it aligned - again sort of an experimental issue.

It is easy to position the door horizontally by sliding it either way on the bar then tightening the nuts when it is correct.

Seems to me that the threaded bolts (that the nut goes on) can be turned to move the door in or out at either end. (nuts nust be loose to do this.

The upper latch can also be adjusted by loosing the fastening screws (jsut finger tight) then closing the door. That will push the latch to the correct position. Carefully open the door and tighten the latch screws.

Gianpaolo_E46
09-09-2004, 08:53 PM
did u lock it with a key?