PDA

View Full Version : How many of you carry a spare tire?

chitown
09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm not talking about fat but how many of you carry a spare in your trunk? Just curious because I have a 96 328is and many people seem to believe that my car is lowered when it is just stock. But I think I finally came to the realization that it's lowered because of the heavy tire in the rear? Could that be why?

R_JAY
09-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Bimmers are made lower in the rear that the front.

chitown
09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Ok that might be it too, but people who've seen similar models of my car still say it has to be a bit lowered than normal so I was wondering if that was it. Would I notice the car being a bit quicker without the tire in there, probably a tiny bit huh?

R_JAY
09-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Yes, if you remove weight from your car then it should feel a little quicker. Do you have the original suspension? If you do then it might be starting to sag a little. Maybe some bushings are wearing a little too.

thinair
09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
The spare doesn't even weigh 40lbs. It's not going to change the ride height in any noticable about.

Also, keep in mind that the spare tire is there to absorb energy in a rear collision.

DbIiRrTdY
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
i carry the spare - and i need it twice in the two years i owned the car.

DAMN NAILS and GLASS!

Justin e36
09-07-2004, 02:52 PM
spare tire won't affect your ride height.
sounds like your rear shocks need replacing.

thinair
09-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
spare tire won't affect your ride height.
sounds like your rear shocks need replacing.

Shocks don't affect ride height either.....they don't support the weight of the car, the springs do. You can completely remove the rear shocks and the car will still be the same height.

chitown
09-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Once in awhile when I get out of the car I'll hear a "thump" that sounds like it's coming from the rear, could that be springs?

Should I just replace the springs and stuff with aftermarkets and lower it?

AMG_POWER
09-07-2004, 03:56 PM
I do, Plus My SUb, it takes alot of space damn it!

Justin e36
09-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Shocks don't affect ride height either.....they don't support the weight of the car, the springs do. You can completely remove the rear shocks and the car will still be the same height.

that's weird. my stock suspension was so low on the back the rear tires were tucking a good 1.5"... (yes, stock)... when I swapped out my suspension for a new one the rear shocks were gone. shock mounts were fine and everything else.

Mystikal
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
that's weird. my stock suspension was so low on the back the rear tires were tucking a good 1.5"... (yes, stock)... when I swapped out my suspension for a new one the rear shocks were gone. shock mounts were fine and everything else.

The springs sagged.

low_bmw
09-07-2004, 07:01 PM
does anyone have a spare stock E36 M3 rim and tire they would like to sell?

M3ti Compact
09-08-2004, 12:54 AM
If you look closely, the rear wheelwell is smaller and lower than the front wheelwell, making the rear wheel have a lowered look.

http://www.websolve.nl/vanbeek/historie/img_big/012.jpg

SebSter
09-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by thinair

This wasnt true in my case... I drove around a month and a bit wiht stock shocks on lowering springs, and i changed my front shocks for bilsteins and found that my previous shocks had been blown. The ride height actually went a bit higher with the new shocks...they do support it a little.

Anyways as for the spare tire, I always feel like with my luck the day I take it out im gonna get a flat and kick myself. Plus I dont do any racing or need the space, so it would just be a foolish thing to do.

teddy317
09-08-2004, 02:52 AM
the thump that you hear could be from yr shock mount bushing , just check it. the rod of yr shock hitting the speaker buffles..thats making a thump sound .. if yr shock mount is busted..

paul christians
09-08-2004, 05:25 PM
no spare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpudBoy
09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
no spare in the new m cars... just a goop-compressor:(

BMWF1
09-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I allways allways allways X100 carry a spare, if you ask adriano how many fuking flats i had on my old rims it was like 1 a week....never a problem with the ACS but after being burned like 8 times i carry a spare.