PDA

View Full Version : window switch

bmwm5lover
09-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Must be lighted, and work perfectly...

SebSter
09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
so its the switch afterall? i thought it didnt work even when u put in the driver side switch

Justin e36
09-02-2004, 04:08 PM
you sure it's not just the contacts on the switch?.. if you press down while putting the bottom part (which is plugs into) up.. (squeeze it together).. does the switch work then? it's not common for window switches to die actually....though the bulb usually does.

bmwm5lover
09-06-2004, 03:44 PM
well its a real strange thing. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It goes down fine, but has troubly going up. Everynow and then, it would completely stop working, and then go back to how it was before...

5style
09-06-2004, 03:45 PM
my peugeot had that on the passenger side, window would roll up but not down... just replace the switch, and save urself the hassle like i did :)

Justin e36
09-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
well its a real strange thing. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It goes down fine, but has troubly going up. Everynow and then, it would completely stop working, and then go back to how it was before...

switch is fine, contacts are tarnished. trust me... i fix these things all the time on other cars.

go to radio shack, buy contact cleaner.

take out your switch, if you can get a piece of sand paper to sand the contacts... go for it. But it will likely be tough if not impossible. Put some contact cleaner on the poles and in the plug.. let it dry for around 5 mins.. then spray again. Put the switch back in once it dries and press it down really hard.. make sure it's making contact.

Congratulations, you now have a fully functional switch.

It's *possible* that it's the contacts INSIDE the switch... same deal applies.

And last case scenario... you have a loose wire somewhere which is either cracked or shorting out.

Anyway, contact cleaner is like $4. It's your best bet before shelling out cash.

AmaRu
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
i had the same problem but wen i hit on the center console where the switches are they would work again.. then i jus took it apart and rewired the switches and found they were disconnected, they work fine now.

bmwm5lover
09-07-2004, 11:34 PM
justin, thanx, ill give it a try