PDA

View Full Version : painted taillights

MP328
07-08-2002, 10:15 PM
i wanna paint my taillights like gamite did on his car. just the yellow part paint it red.

so what color do i use? where do i buy it? and some before and after pics?

TNX for the help Gamite!!!!!!!*th-up*

Gamite
07-09-2002, 01:48 AM
Here's it on my car.

Gamite
07-09-2002, 01:50 AM
Here's it on your car, but IMO, I dont think it looks as good as red/clear because you have that reverse light in there.

Razkal
07-09-2002, 08:16 AM
I was thinking the same thing to do my ambers in red. But Gamite said, it looks kinda odd when the reverse light is still white.

I say get the red/clr tails. It took me 2 years to break down to buy them and now that they are on, I wonder why I did not do it sooner!

I can prob get you a good price on them, lemme know.

Gamite
07-09-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Razkal 320i
I was thinking the same thing to do my ambers in red. But Gamite said, it looks kinda odd when the reverse light is still white.

I say get the red/clr tails. It took me 2 years to break down to buy them and now that they are on, I wonder why I did not do it sooner!

I can prob get you a good price on them, lemme know.

Red clear simply looks amazing on E36's IMO.

BMW BMXer
07-09-2002, 04:23 PM
isn't it a testors color? Ruby Metal Red flake or something?

Hobby shosp carry testors

MP328
07-09-2002, 06:02 PM
i'm really trying not to spend anymore money on the car this year. and 200 bucks for new taillights is still too much right now. i'm still working for the downpayment for the house.

so i still want to do that. u still would like to know what paint u used and where you got it. tnx again.

btw i thought of that too with the reverse light.

i was looking at a VW Jetta today while driving home and they got all red taillights as you know.and the reverse light is just a little bit black so it looks smoked it doesn't stand out too much. so maybe i should do that as well

Gamite
07-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Maybe you could just smoke your whole tail light?

MP328
07-09-2002, 09:37 PM
don't like it smoked all the way either. like you have it it's perfect.

so again plizzzzzzzzzz what color and where do i get it?

BMW BMXer
07-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
isn't it a testors color? Ruby Metal Red flake or something?

Hobby shosp carry testors

am in invisible??

Its a testors color they spray over (atleast for e30's) you can find testors at hobby stores, or any where they sell models

MP328
07-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer

am in invisible??

Its a testors color they spray over (atleast for e30's) you can find testors at hobby stores, or any where they sell models

sorry man, i just didn;t notice it cuz it didnt tell me what iwas looking for.

Gamite
07-09-2002, 11:29 PM
I used Folia Tech, its expensive, but the finish came out really shiny.

WASABI
07-10-2002, 06:55 AM
I've got some of that spray to RED-OUT the tail-lights, however, the quality isn't as good as what Gamite used on his car, but results are the same.

It's a transparent candy apple spray that I got a long time ago, PM me if you're interested, the can's probly good for at least 3 more set of lights.

djcontra
07-11-2002, 10:02 AM
The stuff gamite used worked out really nice!
i took a real close look at them and almost couldn't tell that they were painted over. Simply beautiful job!

Gamite
07-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
The stuff gamite used worked out really nice!
i took a real close look at them and almost couldn't tell that they were painted over. Simply beautiful job!

Thanks man, I pratically used the whole can on it, actually I DID use the whole can.. about 5 light coats of paint. But if you look carefully at night when they are on, you can see some amber from the sides. :(

MP328
07-11-2002, 07:00 PM
i tried to find something on the net about the paint but all i got was Folia Tec caliper paint???? is that caliper paint u used or what does it say exactly. and where did u get it

did it rain yet since you put it on? how is it going to hold up in rain?

WASABI
07-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MP328
i tried to find something on the net about the paint but all i got was Folia Tec caliper paint???? is that caliper paint u used or what does it say exactly. and where did u get it

did it rain yet since you put it on? how is it going to hold up in rain?

I'm curious too Gamite, the paint that I have seems to "wash-off" after a few months (4-5), how are yours holding up.

MP> I've seen them at Pacific Mall in Markham, store called Station 28, it actually says "Tail-lamp Spray" on the can. They wanted like $25 for a 250mL spray can, just enough for one set.

Gamite
07-12-2002, 05:12 PM
The lights are still good, and I sprayed them on when it was cold outside still. Probably feb or march.

MP328
07-12-2002, 08:15 PM
i remembered something else to ask you. did u just paint the one part that was yellow/amber and cover the other red ones. :huh?:

or you painted the whole taillight :huh?: ? tnx again.

Hey saj tnx for the offer for ur paint *th-up* but i think i'm gonna try this one and hope it stays longer the 4-5 months on the lights.

Gamite
07-13-2002, 03:26 AM
Just painted the amber area.

MP328
07-13-2002, 01:31 PM
ok one more question ;) i think it's the last one.

how long did u leave them to dry? over night or just couple of hours?

my car is in the underground garage so i don't feel like having the lights out overnight.

TNX again for all the help guys!!*th-up*

WASABI
07-13-2002, 01:44 PM
No prob MP ... :)

Mr seville
07-13-2002, 04:03 PM
heres the exact date (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2065&highlight=lights)

Gamite
07-14-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MP328
ok one more question ;) i think it's the last one.

how long did u leave them to dry? over night or just couple of hours?

my car is in the underground garage so i don't feel like having the lights out overnight.

TNX again for all the help guys!!*th-up*

I let them dry over night, but I guess you could let them dry ON your car.

Just make sure when you do it, there's no dust around, cuz it'll stick right on the paint and stay there. and wait at least an hour before you put em on your car.

MP328
07-14-2002, 10:48 PM
yeah i was thinking of taking them out in the morning painting it and then somewhere in the evening put them back in and cover the back of the car or something during that time.