PDA

View Full Version : *A driving tip (please read)

rollee
08-31-2004, 01:39 AM
ALWAYS BACK IN FOR PARKING!
THUS ENSURING DRIVING AWAY IN THE DIRECTION OF YOUR COMPLETE FRONT VIEW.

I learned the hard way tonight, backing into another vehicle! Classic case.

It happened in this dark semi empty parking lot, got distracted by a phone call, while peripheral view was blocked by a van.
I backed into this vehicle (without lights) who came from nowhere and happens to be behind me at that moment.
Damaged his door and my rear bumper. oouch! so painful.
Hope all members here take note and start backing into spots as a habit.
Start praticing its worth the effort.*wiggle*
rollee

WhadUpp
08-31-2004, 01:45 AM
Sorry to hear that, I wonder what the deal is with insurance and private/and or mall parking lots.

BMW Fan
08-31-2004, 03:43 AM
i thought whenever u get into accidents in private property, pretty much automatically you both end up paying 50/50. Sorry to hear about the accident you had though Rollee.

///m powered
08-31-2004, 04:03 AM
isn't backing into a space a parking violation?

DriveItSideways
08-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ///m powered

nope

krp_e36m50
08-31-2004, 09:20 AM

nah. you're actually encouraged to do it.
why, is it a violation in Cali?

Quack
08-31-2004, 09:25 AM
99% of the time I back up into the parking space, so when I leave I can just floor it :D

Justin e36
08-31-2004, 11:13 AM
I typically just park so the rear of the car is in the direction of the sun... or it will be when I return to the car. Whether it's reversing into the spot, and just going in.........

completely black interior + black leather + sun = not cool.

DriveItSideways
08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36

completely black interior + black leather + sun = not cool.

agreed! it gets hot as hell inside my car.

sonic07
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
wow sorry to hear about that. similar like this just happen to my friend with his Chrysler concord 3 weeks ago. his view was block by a van also and a while backing out slowly out of the parking spot there was a Mercedes traveling across and the Mercedes thought he could go around him awhile he is still moving in reverse .... well the Mercedes didn't make it. my friend nailed him right across the passenger doors.

///m powered
08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by krp_e36m52
nah. you're actually encouraged to do it.
why, is it a violation in Cali?

I think it is, other wise my little warning thing is bullshit

notjoe
08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Wouldnt it be easier to just watch where the **** you're going?

Serously, how many people back up without actually watching behind them?

Be lucky it wasnt a kid you hit

SkycityBMW
08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your car rollee. . . . . .

Gotta get that sweet "Brittany Spears Headset" for the phone. . . .

///Milk
08-31-2004, 04:15 PM
I think it is, other wise my little warning thing is bullshit
maybe....cuz i never see cars back into parking spots

Understated
08-31-2004, 05:12 PM
damn, i don't think i've EVER reversed into a parking space...i should practice this week. thnx for the tip...and what i do is i brake check before i reverse outta my space(if my view is blocked)

that way if theres someone on either end...they'll see i'm trying to get out and moving... *th-up*

rodo
08-31-2004, 06:49 PM
rollee what do u drive?

rollee
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
i have the new e60 5 series, few months old.*mumble*

Ryousuke
08-31-2004, 09:29 PM
post pics

djcontra
08-31-2004, 09:33 PM
i'm too lazy to rear park :)

X5HogTown
08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
another tip...

when backing out, turn your tunes off, your ears may save you

case in point... I was backing an Audi with the radio on, nudged into a pillar and scraped 6" of plastic bumper. I only heard it when the pillar made contact with the metal fender. doh!

HIM
09-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Sorry to hear man, happened to me as well. It is still considered your fault, even if its private property if you involve insurance because you still caused the accident. I just got the guy to not involve insurance and I paid for the damage on both cars

AmaRu
09-01-2004, 01:45 AM
did you bolt it after? :)

DavidM5
09-01-2004, 02:15 AM
rollee's car is on this board under 5 series.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27699&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

rollee
09-01-2004, 03:20 AM
thanks guys, it is indeed my fault for not paying enough attention while backing my car.*no-no*

all my common bad habits of talking on the phone, stereo blasting too loud, fixing my briefcase, not looking properly etc etc. over the years has slowly grew on me in a way of over confidence.
as the saying goes, it only takes one time, just once in the most odd situation and a bit of bad luck (shall we say), the accident is bound to happen.:eek:
it is very fortunate that no one is hurt or the accident turns out to be much more serious (i could have hit a rolls royce). unfortunately i will have to pay for all damages in addition to the intense heartache of banging up my new car. a very expensive lesson learned indeed $$$$!!
i post here cause i hope others will not have to go through what i am going through now. i thought a little habit change in parking can easily avoid this accident of mine and may one day benefit some other.*angel*

sicilianace
09-01-2004, 10:44 PM
My opinion doesn't mean much but it depend on the situation your in, if u reversed while grocery shopping then u have hard time placing the groceries in the trunk. I hate that idea.......that's why u must be careful while backing out of a spot particularly in malls,supermarkets and large parking lots ie TTC/GO Train STations because there are alot of a**holes who walk right behind or drive by who dont pay close attention to their surrounding.......

SeRb
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
never answer a phone when ur backing out,
wait till ur done then answer it

that happened to me i answered it while backing out and didnt realize my foot wasnt on the brake the whole way and i clipped another car

there was no damage tho so its all good

Lennon
09-02-2004, 01:21 PM
All my friends get pissed at me cause I take the extra time to back in, no matter where, home, mall, friends, wherever, I always back in. Been doing it for years. I don't even remember the last time I pulled in straight into a lot parking spot, (unless it was to granny park)