PDA

View Full Version : HID Install HELP

BMWF1
08-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Hey guys have a wierd problem maybe some of your people that put HID kit into your Euro E36 headlights can help me, so my friend got me a 8k mccolluch kit from the states, paid i think 300 and its with H1 bulbs not i took out the headlight even and there is no way in hell that the HID bulb is gonna fit into the housing of the original H1 bulb is there any trick to this or what do i do here??

Thanks guys

Daydream///M3
08-29-2004, 10:31 AM
post a pic and maybe that would help us... otherwise pm me your number and Ill call you and help you out... Ive installed a lot of these HID kits on my ZKW ellipsoids and my friends cars.

ChahalzBMR
08-29-2004, 10:54 AM
I had that same problem when I tried to install my hid kit. You will have to cut alittle for the bulb to sit into the headlight. I know it sounds bad but it is not that bad. You only need to cut or the area where the nipple of the h1 bulb is to sit. In other words just cut enough space for the bulb to fit into the headlight.

R_JAY
08-29-2004, 02:20 PM
What headlights do you guys have? I have the McCulloch kit and it fit in my headlights without any cutting.

djcontra
08-29-2004, 09:50 PM
you'll have to be more specific about what's not fitting correctly. On all of the E36 ellipsoids I've done, you have to cut a circular hole on the back covers so that the wires and base of the bulb stick through. Better kits will come with a rubber nipple that you can squeeze fit through the hole halfway to give it a nice water-tight seal as well. Other than that, the bulb should fit the socket itself without any problems. I did however have to bend the metal clip a little so that it held the bulbs in more snug though.

Gamite
08-30-2004, 12:02 AM
yeah, I have mculloch in my H1's, I didn't have to cut anything either.. post some pics.

qimis
08-30-2004, 12:51 AM
hey julian, did you have to modify your ellipsoids ? i got US ellipsoids and mcculloch 6000k, i'm just worry it'll melt the housing / something else.

BMWF1
08-30-2004, 04:12 AM
yeah i took my drill gave it a tiny spin and now its all gravy

Gamite
08-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by qimis
hey julian, did you have to modify your ellipsoids ? i got US ellipsoids and mcculloch 6000k, i'm just worry it'll melt the housing / something else.

no, HID's run cooler than convetional hallogens. You won't melt anything and you don't need to modify, just plug n play!

BMWF1
08-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ChahalzBMR
I had that same problem when I tried to install my hid kit. You will have to cut alittle for the bulb to sit into the headlight. I know it sounds bad but it is not that bad. You only need to cut or the area where the nipple of the h1 bulb is to sit. In other words just cut enough space for the bulb to fit into the headlight.

thanks ChahalzBMR your way worked perfectly, and it just needed like 1 millimeter all around to fit in it was that close. Now i light up the road like a mad man:cool:

BMWF1
08-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by qimis

qimis what did you pay for 6000K kit??