PDA

View Full Version : should I GO AFTER BMW???

325isRED
08-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Turns out this is a common problem...
A few weeks ago i bought a 325is, I owned it for 2 days when I took it for its first car wash, we had to push it out of dennys because the car wouldnt start, and actually hydro-locked after only a little bit of cranking... I took it to a mechanic in clarkson and he told me the computer was flooded, shorted, and in turn kept the injectors wide open which caused the flooding... I found a refurbished computer for 300 bux(thaught it was a good deal since i called bmw and they said about 2000). He also charged me 500 bux for labor and other things (i saw a black e36 with a maxbimmer decal in his lot). A friend of mine's pops is in law and he sudgests going after bmw for my expences, anyone ever done this or heard of it being done? I am 18 years old and am now in debt (spent every penny i had on the car) hope this is not a begining of bad things from my bimmer...

aswell, some a$$hole stole my fog lights while it sat overnight at mavis and central! anyone have a pair for sale?

(i know i posted this in someone elses forum, but i fealt it needed more exposure)

Understated
08-29-2004, 12:53 AM
damn, sounds like u've been having some bad luck with the bimmer bro. Sorry to hear about that. Well you learned the first main lesson when it comes to owning a bmw, Maintenance is a costly. And yes i've read quite a few stories about this happening..howeverh aven't read about any successful missions on going after bmw with their bill.

Do a seach here on max...i'm sure there are a few threads with a lot of handy info *th-up*

btw welcome to the board.

RevShoT
08-29-2004, 01:40 AM
go after the city for your expensies....

not sure how that will work but i ran over sum rail road tracks and bent my rim, now im getting a new one cause the city didnt do proper upkeepon the tracks!

lvan
08-29-2004, 05:11 AM
With all bull-sha and repairs and mechanic rips off you can drive new bimmer.

Girly Girl
08-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by RevShoT
go after the city for your expensies....

not sure how that will work but i ran over sum rail road tracks and bent my rim, now im getting a new one cause the city didnt do proper upkeepon the tracks!

You had a legit case, this guy does not. It aint the City's fault that it rained on his car.

He may have a case if his car was bought brand new, if not he's gonna have to get to know Charlie so he doesnt get ripped off in the future.

thinair
08-29-2004, 10:02 AM
The flooding computer is actually a known issue, but hydro-locking with fuel I don't believe for a second. Even if you were cranking for like 30 seconds with the injectors wide open at full pressure you wouldn't hydro lock. The injectors would have to pour in an insane amount of fuel during one revolution in order to hydrolock. A lot of the fuel would come out the exhaust valves anyway seeing that the gas is vaporized by the injectors.

325isRED
08-29-2004, 12:58 PM
you would be supprised... before i took it to this guy we had it towed home... i took out the spark plugs and cranked the engine... gas flew about 5 feet to the right of the car (all on my neighbours grass!!) trust me, it was hydro-locked... does anyone know how to prevent this from happening in the future? oh, aswell, the mechanic told me that there was so much gas in the cylinders that is seeped past the piston rings and he found gas in my crank case!

Jon@Bimmersport
08-29-2004, 01:10 PM
if it "seeped" through your piston rings, theyre shot. find a new M50 motor...

RevShoT
08-29-2004, 01:23 PM
yeah thats a really bad thing if something can get past your pistons rings!

sounds like u bought a lemon, if u bought it from a dealer there is a gov' law saying they must warrently the car for at least 36 days if im correct

so if u bought it from a dealer by law they should have to pay for your expenses, dont be afraid to get after them cause i can garuntee you the dealer (if it was bought therE) knew of the problem

325isRED
08-29-2004, 04:19 PM
well, we drained the oil as a precaution and only found a little bit, i was told that it wasnt a big problem because the piston rings are metal along with the cylinder wall, so there is no such thing as a perfect metal on metal seal... the car is running now and it feels great, no loss of power, but i think it would be a good idea to get a compression test done... anyone know of a good place to do this?

RevShoT
08-29-2004, 04:22 PM
u can do it yourself its really easy

theres a million write ups on here

rent the tool should take like 20 min

RevShoT
08-29-2004, 04:25 PM
oh and btw, the piston rings, there are 2 of them and a baffle between them to keep anything out of the oil pan from the cumbustion chamber, u should never have gas in the oil, but then again.. you said u hydo locked it, so i guess the gas was forced to go sumwhere

djcontra
08-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Here's a tip, shrink wrap your ecu. I did this on my car, and I have yet to see any water get inside since. I basically bought a heat-shrink baggy, put the ecu inside, used an iron to seal the edge, then proceeded to blow hot air on it from a hairblower to shrink everything snug. Once done, I cut an opening for the connector, and then sealed the edges of the opening with a good glue. To make it fit in the ecu shelf without tearing, I had to slightly bend back the metal slots that it fits into, but it's no big deal.

SkycityBMW
08-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Before you shrink wrap it . . . . you can can get a water protectant designed for a jet ski's electronics and I can spray it on your ECM . . . then shrink wrap it ! ! !

djcontra
08-31-2004, 04:37 PM
that sounds like a cool idea too if you dont need to open it up ever again.
(i guess that's a definate project for all those who have chips already installed)

Fern
08-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I can tell you first hand that its not an easy thing, trying to get BMW to pickup the cost of repairs.

I had the pixels in the instrument cluster on my e39 540 go and even tho its a know design flaw and BMWNA is honouring the part cost via a hidden warranty, BMWCA told me politely "go pound sand". Their letter indicated that owning a vehicle that is out of warranty has its anticipated mantenance costs associated with it that you have to be prepared to incur.

Unless BMW may have caused you some sort of personal injury or the potential for same, I think they will brush you off. The personal injury part isn't that they don't have kick arse lawyers to fight it, its that they don't want this type of bad publicity.

Take my advise (from someone who sees all sorts of tort issues) listen to the advise posted in the previous posts and shrink wrap it or something and chalk it up as an experience...

Good luck with the waterproofing,
Cheers,

Fern*smoke*

CLEAN325is
09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Must be a common problem cause the same thing happened to me. One week after buying my 325is I took it through the car wash at HWY2 & Port Union. Its the kind that pulls you on the track. Basically, when my car was covered in soap I felt a jolt, turned on my wipers, and the car wash had stopped pulling the jeep infront of me and pulled my car into it. Wrecked my grill, scratched my bumper and my car died at the same time due to my computer being flooded...bad luck. The jeep took off and I had to jump out in the car wash at the end and push it out before the bimmer behind me hit me. They would not pay for it, and my insurance would not pay for the computer, just the body damage. Im gonna take this advise and shrinkwrap my computer for sure!

notjoe
09-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by CLEAN325is
Must be a common problem cause the same thing happened to me. One week after buying my 325is I took it through the car wash at HWY2 & Port Union. Its the kind that pulls you on the track. Basically, when my car was covered in soap I felt a jolt, turned on my wipers, and the car wash had stopped pulling the jeep infront of me and pulled my car into it. Wrecked my grill, scratched my bumper and my car died at the same time due to my computer being flooded...bad luck. The jeep took off and I had to jump out in the car wash at the end and push it out before the bimmer behind me hit me. They would not pay for it, and my insurance would not pay for the computer, just the body damage. Im gonna take this advise and shrinkwrap my computer for sure!

Should have threatened to sue the carwash/gas station as it was their fault (body work wise) instead of claiming it, as for the ECM, thats completely different as it is the car which was faulty in that dept.

CLEAN325is
09-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Attempted to go through their insurance, but that didnt work. When I pulled the computer and opened it, it looked like water had been getting in their for a while. Lucky i was able to grab a used one at DOMS. Shrink wrap hopefully will save it in the future.

notjoe
09-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by CLEAN325is
Attempted to go through their insurance, but that didnt work. When I pulled the computer and opened it, it looked like water had been getting in their for a while. Lucky i was able to grab a used one at DOMS. Shrink wrap hopefully will save it in the future.

Didnt you have to put a claim in for the body work? I'm sure your rates probably went up because of that :(

wjjeeper
09-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Can you guys tell me where the ecu is located so I can waterproof it with this skrink wrap?

SkycityBMW
09-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Here ya go . . . http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Mult_Chip_Install/Mult_Chip_Install.htm

and . .

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm

wjjeeper
09-02-2004, 12:54 AM
So is this an issue with the e46?