PDA

View Full Version : tire shaving

windwagen
08-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Does anyone have experience with tire shaving? I recently rotated my tires, against recommendation. The tires that are now on the front howl like a dog, and shake like mad! The LF one is the worst. I put the spare on for now.

I want to get 4 new tires next spring (different tires), and there is still lots of tread left on tires now on the rear. The fronts are pretty toasted, but I'd like to keep using them till it's time to put the snows on. Would shaving what's left of the bumpy fronts get me by?

Big Chin
08-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Tire shvaing I would advise against it... COuld screw the tire up pretty badly. I think you might just need a tire alignment. If you tell me the specs of the tires and show me a picture of the tire wear I can give you a better answer though..

windwagen
08-29-2004, 10:08 PM
The tire is a Pirelli Supersport 235/45-17. It has about 35% left. It's hard to see the "scalloping", bumps unless you jack up the car and spin the tire. You can clearly see the elevation changes, which are all along the inside edge of the tire. Remember, this tire was originally on the back. The RF tire is not nearly as bad, and is not noticeable unless you try really hard, if I use the spare on the LF.

If the tire get's trashed during shaving, I may not be set back very much, since it's pretty done anyway.

djcontra
08-29-2004, 10:42 PM
it's not worth the safety risk. I did something similar with my old tires, and when I hit a pothole on the highway, the tire tread just shredded right off leaving the wire mesh exposed....not exactly good fun at 120km/h

Big Chin
08-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I know what you are talking about. I had a set of Summation tires that did the same thing.. The tirewear is so bumpy that it creates alot of noise and vibration. I changed mine when it started happening I didn't have that much tread left anyways about10% so it wasn't much of a loss. An Alignment may help you but more than likely you will have to replace your tires.

windwagen
08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks.....I didn't realize tire shaving would compromise the tire construction. You'd think it was safe if it is a regular practice for competition.

I don't mind a new set of tires, it's just that I hate to throw away the two good rears. I want to change all 4 next spring, and I don't like driving on mix and match tires. I just need to get by until the winters go on.

Quack
08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by windwagen
Thanks.....I didn't realize tire shaving would compromise the tire construction. You'd think it was safe if it is a regular practice for competition.

I don't mind a new set of tires, it's just that I hate to throw away the two good rears. I want to change all 4 next spring, and I don't like driving on mix and match tires. I just need to get by until the winters go on.

regular practice tires are much different, that's why you can shave them down, like rally tires, they come as a big chunk of rubber & they cut their own tread pattern in, if you feel like you are wasting those tires by throwing them out, this is what you should, get your friends, get a camcorder, and you perform some donuts & burnouts, and everyone will have a good time :D

Mystikal
08-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Tire shaving? Sure, just give me 5-10 minutes with your car. I don't even charge. :D

windwagen
08-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Ha ha .....I thought of that already! I am killing it on every single ramp to start with!