PDA

View Full Version : Security System

rfeng
08-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Can anyone suggest a good and reliable security system, alarm, or whatever for my 2002 M3? Thanks very much!!!!

paul christians
08-27-2004, 11:28 AM
if they what it??????????they got it!!!!!!!!!!!put a tracking system on it???????????

Mystikal
08-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Compustar 2WSS. http://www.compustar.org/intro.html

paul christians
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
that is a good systam to go with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigD
08-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Viper 690XV/790XV (non-remote start/remote start) or Clifford Matrix. Same thing, just slightly different plastic pagers and colors. Both are DEI hardware.

Some say compustar has greater range, whatever. The Viper range is good too. But unlike the compustar, you can get their GPS tracking system which plugs into the alarm. You can get the DEI (viper or clifford) GPS tracker as a standalone for any alarm, but when it plugs into their Responder (690 or Matrix), it really kicks ass. You can operate any function of the alarm via internet or cell phone. And unlike cell based systems like Boomerang/Boomerang2, the GPS (which DEI is alone with) is extremely accurate. It won't take the system an hour to figure out that the car is stolen.

Gianpaolo_E46
08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
OEM alarm with shock sensor and boomerang

EstorilM3
08-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Boomerang II is pretty good. It's a tracking system, not a true *alarm* system, though.

Just the other day it was announced that Lojack will be buying the Boomerang Tracking Inc.

http://www.boomerangtracking.com/en/index.asp

EstorilM3
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BigD
And unlike cell based systems like Boomerang/Boomerang2, the GPS (which DEI is alone with) is extremely accurate. It won't take the system an hour to figure out that the car is stolen.

Boomerang will notify you NOW!!!! (not an hour later) if the car is moving without the little key fob thingy. I know this from personal experience.

You should always have the key fob thingy together with your car keys. If you tend to leave the car keys, and the fob inside the car while you shop or are at work, then you need professional help! :D *no-no*

BigD
08-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Obviously it won't **** up every time. But you can't risk it. Randy's dad has Boom2 and they drove around for a half hour without the fob and they never got a notification.

Originally posted by EstorilM3
Boomerang will notify you NOW!!!! (not an hour later) if the car is moving without the little key fob thingy. I know this from personal experience.

You should always have the key fob thingy together with your car keys. If you tend to leave the car keys, and the fob inside the car while you shop or are at work, then you need professional help! :D *no-no*

EstorilM3
08-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Randy's dad has Boom2 and they drove around for a half hour without the fob and they never got a notification.

I'm surprised by that!

I drove the car without the fob, just to test it, and my cell phone rang withing two minutes - Boomerang people wanted to know if I knew where my car was, and why was it moving without the fob.

Perhaps the dudes in Montreal were asleep in Randy's father case....

*sleep* *sleep* *sleep*

I did have an issue with them when I got it first. Actually, not the Boomerang people, but their installer. He didn't register me!
So, I drove around for months, and months in Canada, and USA thinking all along that the car was protected...:mad:

I have also been getting quite a few falses, but they sent me new fobs so will see if that goes away. Batteries die in them, and when they do, they get falses. Can't replace the batteries - you get new fobs.

ZiMMie
08-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Viper 690XV/790XV (non-remote start/remote start) or Clifford Matrix. Same thing, just slightly different plastic pagers and colors. Both are DEI hardware.

Some say compustar has greater range, whatever. The Viper range is good too. But unlike the compustar, you can get their GPS tracking system which plugs into the alarm. You can get the DEI (viper or clifford) GPS tracker as a standalone for any alarm, but when it plugs into their Responder (690 or Matrix), it really kicks ass. You can operate any function of the alarm via internet or cell phone. And unlike cell based systems like Boomerang/Boomerang2, the GPS (which DEI is alone with) is extremely accurate. It won't take the system an hour to figure out that the car is stolen.

I had the 790VX in my e30 the range sucks ass. good alarm system but ver very very very shitty RANGE. THE COMPUSTAR KICKS ASS.

BigD
08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ZiMMie
I had the 790VX in my e30 the range sucks ass. good alarm system but ver very very very shitty RANGE. THE COMPUSTAR KICKS ASS.

That's some serious $ you went through, with 2 topline systems. :huh?: Anyway, shitty/kicks ass is subjective. My alarm works at work through several concrete walls with my car about 150m way at work. Much beyond that, there wouldn't be much point. By the time I got there it would be all over.

Line of sight and concrete walls seems to be the big thing. Can you give a comparison where you tested the two systems in the same place? I'm curious to try it at something like square one, park on one end, and go to the bottom level on the other. I really doubt the Viper would work. But same for the Compustar, if it did I'd be very surprized. Radio is radio. I know for previous gen, you can get Compustar with an external antenna, now that I can see making a huge difference.

EDIT: If I require more range, I will get the GPS add-on. Then I'll get notifications around the world.