PDA

View Full Version : Going into storage

5style
08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
I ve finally decided to put my peugeot in a garage for storage... But i don't know how. Are there specifics i should be aware of?? ok, battery terminals need disconnecting, but what else?? Is it really important to drain all the fluids, or necessary?? For the winter that is...

RevShoT
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
drain the anti freeze, i usually leave the oil in but u can take it out if u want, just make sure u change it come next start up, ummm seal off the throttle body so it dosent get any dust or water in it, some people like to put their cars on jack stands to relieve pressure off the suspension,

when i winted stored my trans am i left all the fluids in and left it in running condition cause once or twice a week i started the engine for about 20 min to make sure everything was ok and not seizing, if u can do this that would probally be best

Gamite
08-26-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21710

///m powered
08-26-2004, 12:35 PM
we should sticky that come winter time

5style
08-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks alot, thats helpful :) The car is going to be in my garage, so the only thing that might happen is dust. But thats a good idea, i ll keep starting her make sure everything works :)

Understated
08-26-2004, 01:03 PM
IMPORTANT!!!!! It is far better to let your car sit for four or five months without starting it, than to start it once a week, or once a month and let it sit for 10 minutes. NEVER start your car unless you plan on driving it on the highway for at least 1/2 hour and get it to full operating temp. Doing otherwise will just load the engine and exhaust with moisture to start rust etc.

a lot of people think otherwise .....great writeup *th-up*

5style
08-26-2004, 01:14 PM
^^ oh ok, then th ebattery is getting disconnected, and its going to sleep in the garage, it will give me a chance to strip the interior, clean it, check for leaks, add new silencer fabrics, check for broken clips ( yes just like the e36, the peugeot 405 is all clip) strip the dashboard paint, and repaint it (same colour) just fresh, and generally clean it from the previous owner, becuase i never had a chance to do so, and rewire the rear lights, which a re screwed, curtesy of the previous owner and his tow attachments, :( Come spring, my interior will be mint!!!, and it will be time to start work on the mechanicals. I guess I can't sell the explorer anymore, as i will need it to get around this winter...:(

RevShoT
08-26-2004, 01:52 PM
starting in the winter is fine, dont let them tell u otherwise, as long as you run it long enough to get up to operating tempatures and a wide range of RPM's your fine, an engine can seize of the winter months with the slightest bit of condensation in the valves, its better to run it once a week to keep things moving and break up any minute rust that may be forming

5style
08-26-2004, 01:57 PM
ok, now im confused
:P

RevShoT
08-26-2004, 02:06 PM
its ok to run your engine, but you MUST let it get to operating tempature and use various rpm ranges this will better your engine cause engines dont like to sit (ie valves go dry and start to smoke) if your going to start it once a week its a commitment to start it once a week, you cant slack it!

Gamite
08-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ///m powered
we should sticky that come winter time

actually, we do. :P