PDA

View Full Version : 2000 540i 6-Speed... Tuning options

1BADRIDE
08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey... I'm new to this forum (finally a Canadian BMW forum!).

Due to a recent insurance rate increase, I decided to drive my beater 540 as a daily driver. (No, it's not really a beater - I used to use it as a commuter car at the cottage.)

In any case, my insurance renewal on my 2002 Z/06 came back at $10,217/yr from ING. After picking up my eyeballs and putting them back in, I decided it's time to park the Vette.

So here I am, with my 540. It's a 2000 540i 6-Speed w/sport pkg. - I hope there are some local (Markham/East End) meets.

So, on with the issue - with my Vette, I had a notebook, serial interface, and LS1Edit that I used to tune my Z/06 with.

Are there any software and/or hardware packages out there that an end user can use to dyno tune their cars? I am planning to boost this car and I'd like to play with the tuning before I start tinkering. I'm considering a low-boost twin turbo kit @ 8psi to start if there are no space issues. Does anyone know of a local (GTA) BMW tuner who is capable of dyno tuning my car?

Thanks!

///Greco540
08-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Rahul,

First off welcome to the board.
Secondly, it was shame you had to ditch the Z06. Did you at least try different insurance carriers for competitive quotes, because either you must have a really bad driving record, or are accident prone, or 18 yrs of age.

No lastly for the 540, going to a TT setup would be too costly as there is not 1, and I mean nothing, nada, zip, zilch, no one who has a turbo setup on this car. So you are looking at hundreds of hours in design and manufacturing just to get the parts to fit. The only F/I for the car is S/C with Vortec blowers. 2 comanies currently offer S/C kits, there may be more but these 2 are the most popular, the first requires you to sell one of your kidney son the black market because the total cost would run you close to $32K, and that would be Dinan, and the other running a modest $10-15K would be ESS.

As for tuning, I'm not a TO native so I can't help you out in terms of shops, but if I were to guess you should contact Mark D to see where he dyno tuned his software in the TO area.

Good luck.

Quack
08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the Max community, I picked up the MarkD ECU reprogram a couple of months ago, it's a great mod, many other 540 members here also got it done with great results, if you need a exhaust system I recommand going to Brullen, much cheaper & sounds amazing, come to one of the meets and listen for yourself, I got it installed on my car.

I'll see you around, I live in Markham also, just look for a black 540 with the plates "QUACKERS"

1BADRIDE
08-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
Rahul,

First off welcome to the board.
Secondly, it was shame you had to ditch the Z06. Did you at least try different insurance carriers for competitive quotes, because either you must have a really bad driving record, or are accident prone, or 18 yrs of age.

Thanks! :) Yes... it truly is a shame after the cost of upgrades I put on the car (suspension, roll cage, custom turbo, tuning). I have some tickets (no points), but the car is being rated as business/pleasure use and based on replacement value including all the upgrades. I have shopped around, but all rates I got are around $7K+. I'm 29 BTW. :) All my tickets were during the "ricer attacks" when I had my S2000. The car is parked right now - might take it out a couple more times and then decide to keep or ditch early september.

No lastly for the 540, going to a TT setup would be too costly as there is not 1...

I would build one with my friends like I did for the Z/06. I have the time, tools, parts, and free shop time (incl. hoists).

As for tuning, I'm not a TO native so I can't help you out in terms of shops, but if I were to guess you should contact Mark D to see where he dyno tuned his software in the TO area. Good luck. [/B]

Thanks for the info!

1BADRIDE
08-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Quack
Welcome to the Max community, I picked up the MarkD ECU reprogram a couple of months ago, it's a great mod, many other 540 members here also got it done with great results, if you need a exhaust system I recommand going to Brullen, much cheaper & sounds amazing, come to one of the meets and listen for yourself, I got it installed on my car.

I'll see you around, I live in Markham also, just look for a black 540 with the plates "QUACKERS"

Hahah! I have seen you before around Bullock/7! I live just off Bullock (across from Markville). I used to be the guy in the (DAMN LOUD) Black Z/06 with the red rollcage. Now I'm the guy in the dead silent 540i. :) My car is some type of metallic black with a tan interior and tinted windows and 17" bbs/bmw mesh style rims.

My friends and I usually hang out for nightly ice-cap's, coffee's etc.. behind the Tim's @ McCowan/7 or at our private club @ 14th/Birchmount. I'll be at the tim's tonight around 9pm for the nightly meet up - if you're interested, stop by! Look for the black 540i with the smoke pouring out of the windows and sunroof. *angel*

Gamite
08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
waaait a minute, do you have a pic of that Z06? I coulda sworn I've seen you around a few times.

Do you know "KLZ" He had the yellow carrera and the M5. I saw you guys cruising 7 last year.

1BADRIDE
08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
waaait a minute, do you have a pic of that Z06? I coulda sworn I've seen you around a few times.

Do you know "KLZ" He had the yellow carrera and the M5. I saw you guys cruising 7 last year.

I've got pics... but not good ones. I think that's my friend Roy (same color car as mine, but his is twin turbo - mine is single). His friend rolls in a yellow carrera.

I'm the only Z/06 with a red cage in it... :) If the tires were smokin', it was me. :) I used to frequent Coronation, wb/16th, the pit, and so on. If you go to www.cpracing.ca and click on the S2000 frame brace and the Z/06 cage, those are both my cars.

I'll have to find the pics on my home machine... send me a PM and I'll send them to ya.

Big Chin
08-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Mark D's stuff is Great I think Clarence and myself will testify to that stuff as for a 'BMW garage' that dynos I know of none but there is a place I know that can Dyno cars. 3 Runs for $150 Dollars. Located in Scarbrough.. I will ask and see if I can get a better deal cause I know the owners.. But if you want the location gimme a holler.

MarkD
08-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Big Chin
Mark D's stuff is Great I think Clarence and myself will testify to that stuff as for a 'BMW garage' that dynos I know of none but there is a place I know that can Dyno cars. 3 Runs for $150 Dollars. Located in Scarbrough.. I will ask and see if I can get a better deal cause I know the owners.. But if you want the location gimme a holler.

If I wasn't so busy with the OBD-II stuff I'd get that dyno system at me friend's shop (GRAF AUTO) going. Soon I will finish the software project I am working on and then I'll get the dyno up and running. I went to Germany in June and sorted out the problems with the dyno but just haven't had time to calibrate it. In the next few days I'll also be getting a wideband a/f ratio datalogging system that will make it much easier to tune FI motors. THe dyno will be available for runs once I get it operating. It's on Bentworth Ave. (Caledonia and Lawrence area)

MarkD

Big Chin
08-25-2004, 05:28 PM
By the way Mark If you are still inquiring about the tires please call me.

MarkD
08-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Big Chin
By the way Mark If you are still inquiring about the tires please call me.

Thanks, but I think I'll have to use my street tires on the track unless I win the Super 7 ....

MarkD

1BADRIDE
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
MarkD - you do have a shop now? Where is it located?

Quack
08-25-2004, 10:44 PM
MarkD doesn't really have a shop, his car is his shop, mobile OBDII computer flashing, just PM him and setup a time & date

MarkD
08-26-2004, 01:07 AM
As Quack said. I don't really need a shop. I spend a lot of time developing embedded software. I have access to my friend's shop (Graf Auto) on weekends, but to just program a car I often do it in my driveway. (I need to conect a battery charger to the car while reprogramming so it can't be done anywhere, but almost)

MarkD

1BADRIDE
08-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds great!

My wife is having baby #2 any day now, so I can't really firm up an appointment until after september 7.

Yesterday, I was very dissapointed to discover a fuel cutoff at 220km/h.

What can you do to my car as a "first upgrade", and how much will it run me?

Thanks!

///Greco540
08-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 1BADRIDE
Sounds great!

My wife is having baby #2 any day now, so I can't really firm up an appointment until after september 7.

Yesterday, I was very dissapointed to discover a fuel cutoff at 220km/h.

What can you do to my car as a "first upgrade", and how much will it run me?

Thanks!

220?!?! Should be 250.....

1BADRIDE
08-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm sure it was at 220. The car had plenty of pull then I hit 220 and zzzzz.... fuel cutoff.

///Greco540
08-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Maybe the previous owner had set the limit to 220? Haven't played with it but check it, that might be it.

1BADRIDE
08-27-2004, 01:20 PM
How do you set the limit? Can I just disable it or set it to 350km/hr?

///Greco540
08-27-2004, 01:32 PM
The car is electronically limited to 250 from the manufacturer. MarkD's software will take of removing it or bumping it up to 350km/h.

The "limit" feature is on the OBC, if you hit the BC button on your radio it will bring up a list of options like consumptio, speed, range, etc. One of them is limit where you can set a limit to induce a warning if you pass it. I never heard of it actually not letting you go faster than what its set at, but there's a possibility it would. Reset it to --- and then go see Mark D about getting your software.

Mystikal
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
The "limit" feature is on the OBC, if you hit the BC button on your radio it will bring up a list of options like consumptio, speed, range, etc. One of them is limit where you can set a limit to induce a warning if you pass it. I never heard of it actually not letting you go faster than what its set at, but there's a possibility it would. Reset it to --- and then go see Mark D about getting your software.

That function has nothing to do with the ECU cutting the fuel.

Your car has a limiter at 210km/h, the speedos read high. You need performance software to remove it. As others stated, contact MarkD on the board.

mclaren55
08-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but my 540i hits 250km/h no problem. I really doubt the speedo is miscaliberated by 40km/h on the high end. That and the fact they publish the limit at 155MPH (250km/h). That being said, my speedo goes past 250km/h, however that is due to inaccuracy (maybe 7-12km/h judging by the space left). Car should be at about 4900rpm in sixth when it hits the limiter.

MarkD
08-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by mclaren55
I don't know about you guys, but my 540i hits 250km/h no problem. I really doubt the speedo is miscaliberated by 40km/h on the high end. That and the fact they publish the limit at 155MPH (250km/h). That being said, my speedo goes past 250km/h, however that is due to inaccuracy (maybe 7-12km/h judging by the space left). Car should be at about 4900rpm in sixth when it hits the limiter.

I have heard that the 540's built after 2000 have a 250 km/hr (155 mph) limiter. The older 540's have a lower limiter, typically 220 km/hr (135 mph)

I wish you guys wouldn't be asking for these high limiters, as although I can adjust them I know you can't even hit those speeds on the back straight at Mosport.

MarkD

everlast
08-27-2004, 03:32 PM
To my knowledge my car is not chipped, but i've never hit the limiter. I've had the speedo around the area where it stops moving (like in Test 02) which is around 250 after adjustment, so I assume its the 250 limit.

The limiter will work on the number in test 09 i think, so bring that up the next time you go real fast-like. :)

1BADRIDE
08-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Haha! Well, I am positive (checked again on the way to work) - limiter is definitely at 220km/hr. This could be correct, as my 540i is a 2000MY.

MarkD - It's nice to see that someone actually cares! May I ask what you use as a programming tool? Do you need to remove anything from the vehicle to program, or do you do it through the OBDII connection via a PC?

Thanks... this forum is MUCH better than the other BMW forums in my experience. I'm looking forward to joining one of your meets soon!

///Greco540
08-30-2004, 11:43 AM
You know it could also have been a custom reqeust from the previous owner to his dealer to reprogram the limit to 220. You never know. I've had my 540 up to 245 km/h(speedo)while shifting to 5th....

I know the 528's were limited to 125mph hence 220km/h but certainly not the 540's. Regardless, when you hook up with MarkD that will all go away.

1BADRIDE
08-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, went to the dealer, and voila - as of this morning, they "reflashed" the computer and now it's 250km/hr. They actually called it something else, but whatever.

I went in for some other issues, mainly cosmetic.