PDA

View Full Version : G Test and Standard

BMW BMXer
08-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Do they grade you on how well you drive stick? Or is it the same test for everyone?

I took the G test in my moms car and failed (auto) for going to slow.

I have another test thurs and I don't know if I wanna drive her car again its weird to park in.

Do they grade you on downshifitng when going to a light (I don't all the time) and so forth?

Gianpaolo_E46
08-25-2004, 12:47 AM
u get 3 strikes for stalling it, thats it...i got my g2 with my manual driving school car

BMW BMXer
08-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Psh, I won't stall.

ZiMMie
08-25-2004, 12:53 AM
well i dunno about G but for my g2. they guy wanted me to downshit every time i was comin to a stop. if u put in neutral u will fail. got my g2 in my e30..

Gianpaolo_E46
08-25-2004, 01:22 AM
true, i remember the guy bitchin about that now

King Luis
08-25-2004, 01:24 AM
their really strict\picky with manual transmissions.
try to do it with a automatic car if possible

Mystikal
08-25-2004, 01:49 AM
If you read the book it clearly tells you what you need to do.

No coasting with the car in neutral/clutch in. No shifting in intersections or during turns (more control, both hands on the wheel). Downshift as you slow down, upshift as you speed up (duh). I already rev-match downshift as I slow down so it wasn't very hard for me, you may want to try and get used to it if you're a neutral braker. I just got my G in my car about a month ago.

BMW BMXer
08-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
If you read the book it clearly tells you what you need to do.

Sold the book for lunch.

Mystikal
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Ah well, I Cliffnoted everything you need to know right there.

M3ti Compact
08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
I did my G test with the ti...just be smooth was my method of attack.

You CAN shift gears through intersections- no shifting though intersections are for old trucks in which you had to double clutch- with the BM's synchroed close ratio tranny, it's no use going too slow, or having it bounce off the limiter because you can't shift gears during intersection.

Downshift while slowing down- only use neutral when stopped, no coasting.

BMW BMXer
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
I downshift sometimes when I slow down. Not all the time though. I dunno we shall see which car I take.

Mystikal
08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
You CAN shift gears through intersections- no shifting though intersections are for old trucks in which you had to double clutch- with the BM's synchroed close ratio tranny, it's no use going too slow, or having it bounce off the limiter because you can't shift gears during intersection.

It says it right in the book, do not shift in intersections unless they are more than 4 lanes wide.

M3ti Compact
08-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I just did my M course...according to my M instuctor, yes, it does say in the book (motorcycle and car) that you can't change gear during the intersection, that's because the books were based on a very old truck driving manual- the idiots thought that their no shifting through intersection rule should be applied to cars- the old trucks can lug and stall in intersection even though they are moving because they got to double clutch- hence, no shifting through intersection. However, cars and bikes once underway, unless you go from 1st to 5th will never stall. It says in the book, but the examiner will not doc you for shifting through intersection...what if you started a few cars back from the intersection- you will need to shift by the time you reach the intersection to keep up with traffic. Check with your examiner before you head out if he'll be marking you on that. I remember shifting through intersection on my M and G tests and no docks on either one.

Mystikal
08-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
what if you started a few cars back from the intersection- you will need to shift by the time you reach the intersection to keep up with traffic.

Um, you shift prior to entering the intersection?

If they don't follow the book then what are people to assume? That's retarded. I'd just not shift in intersections, it's a short test and it's not a very hard thing to do.

d12
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
i failed once with my parents auto car... i got a g test in like 3 weeks too and i'm thinking taking my 330ci 5 speed, thing is I never downshift, i always breake, **** now i have to remember downshift if i take it.. :mad:

app
08-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Yeah, just don't shift midturn, they like to see both hands on the wheel during a turn.

Best way to pass, just do everything dumbass slow. Pretend you're that old man. Stopping at a stop sign, take your sweet ass time. The instructor gets bored with your cautious driving and ends it fast. My G license test went super fast.

Waterwings
08-25-2004, 08:52 PM
its no shifting in intersections or while turning. i know for a fact

Understated
08-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by app
Yeah, just don't shift midturn, they like to see both hands on the wheel during a turn.

Best way to pass, just do everything dumbass slow. Pretend you're that old man. Stopping at a stop sign, take your sweet ass time. The instructor gets bored with your cautious driving and ends it fast. My G license test went super fast.

thats sound advice....especially for ur first road test....my friend told me he was doing 55 in the 60 zone and the driver instructor started fidgeting and stuff... :D

he ended up getting a perfect on the road test...and it lasted something like 6,7 minutes *smoke*

BMW BMXer
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Meh, caved and went with auto.

Passed.