PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

grossi
08-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey everybody.. anyways, I am thinking about lowering my car and I need some input. I have been looking into H&R Sport Springs and Eibach Pro Kit Springs for my 330Ci. However, someone told me that if I added on aftermarket lowering springs to my car (i.e. H&R's or Eibach's) my oem shocks would wear heavily. I don't really want to spend the additional cash on something like the H&R Cup Kit, but if it means that my shocks will significantly wear with aftermarket springs then I may do so....

So, what do you guys think I should do? Which brand of springs do you reccomend??

Thanks!

bimmer_02
08-19-2004, 10:55 PM
iv got Eibach proline springs on my bimmer and i love the ride, it gives the nice handling. iv only had the springs for a few months but i was in BMW on miss. today and the service advisor told me that it doesnt void the warrenty on the shocks ..... she could be wrong tho ...

WhadUpp
08-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Watch it with H&R sports, although they are very good springs they settle far more than their specs so expect it even lower

golden
08-19-2004, 11:42 PM
the shocks will last like a year, than your car will bounce like hell

get the UUC springs, they are supposedly matched up with the shocks of e46s

but, i bet it will fade the shocks too... i had H&R springs and i upgraded to FK coilovers. nite and day difference.

jmalixi
08-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Many will tell you to get a cup kit or coilovers or matched set of spring/shocks. If you have a lot of money to throw around or if you're not handy with the tools then I suggest you follow that advise.

However, I can tell you that if you get the right springs, you can get a lot more out of your struts/shocks than what people will lead you to believe. I did some research and I went with Eibach Pro Kits. These are designed to work with stock shocks. May car has low mileage so I figured my shocks still have a lot of life left and worst case scenario, I can handle removing them all over again when their time comes. So far my decision has paid off. I like the stance and I like the ride and the shocks/struts have not shown any signs of premature wear.

grossi
08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by jmalixi
Many will tell you to get a cup kit or coilovers or matched set of spring/shocks. If you have a lot of money to throw around or if you're not handy with the tools then I suggest you follow that advise.

However, I can tell you that if you get the right springs, you can get a lot more out of your struts/shocks than what people will lead you to believe. I did some research and I went with Eibach Pro Kits. These are designed to work with stock shocks. May car has low mileage so I figured my shocks still have a lot of life left and worst case scenario, I can handle removing them all over again when their time comes. So far my decision has paid off. I like the stance and I like the ride and the shocks/struts have not shown any signs of premature wear.

Yeah, my biggest concern is forking out the cash for a cup kit or something similar. I was ready to go pick up the Pro Kit (Eibach) springs but I heard a remark about wearing out the shocks... my car has 63,000km's so I think I may just go ahead with the prokit. Do you think it will look low enough with stock 17's on? I just don't want to regret not lowering it enough.. I would like the ride height to look similar to yours.. and, if it's possible, can you recommend a place for installation? Thanks again

jmalixi
08-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by grossi
Yeah, my biggest concern is forking out the cash for a cup kit or something similar. I was ready to go pick up the Pro Kit (Eibach) springs but I heard a remark about wearing out the shocks... my car has 63,000km's so I think I may just go ahead with the prokit. Do you think it will look low enough with stock 17's on? I just don't want to regret not lowering it enough.. I would like the ride height to look similar to yours.. and, if it's possible, can you recommend a place for installation? Thanks again

If you have a sedan, then I can almost guarantee it will look like mine but since you have a coupe, it's hard to say how the coupes stance will be like. Go ask members at e46fanatics.com to post their coupe pics using Eibach Prokits with stock shocks. They're pretty helpful there.

As for installation, I will send you a PM.

grossi
08-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by jmalixi
If you have a sedan, then I can almost guarantee it will look like mine but since you have a coupe, it's hard to say how the coupes stance will be like. Go ask members at e46fanatics.com to post their coupe pics using Eibach Prokits with stock shocks. They're pretty helpful there.

As for installation, I will send you a PM.

Thanks man. For some odd reason my user account on e46fanatics.com won't let me post replies :eek:

Would you happen to have any pics or know of any other places where I can see other coupes with the springs?

EricE330ci
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
grossi,

You could also check out UUC v2 springs which were designed for lowering with the stock shocks. They are also a even drop not like the raked H&R look #29484.

grossi
08-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by EricE330ci
grossi,

You could also check out UUC v2 springs which were designed for lowering with the stock shocks. They are also a even drop not like the raked H&R look #29484.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll check those out as well before I make my decision. By the way, Eric330Ci, I think your car is the nicest 330Ci that I've ever seen!

EricE330ci
08-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by grossi
Thanks very much for the advice. I'll check those out as well before I make my decision. By the way, Eric330Ci, I think your car is the nicest 330Ci that I've ever seen!

No way man.... There are tons of way nicer E46's locally. Just lots more $$$$ spent *sad*
I try to keep the mods clean and tasteful but there are a few other mods that I have planned. :D

grossi
08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Well I think your car is really sharp. The coilovers and HM2's really give your car a meaner look :mad:

Surk
09-07-2004, 05:51 PM
I have the HR sports installed on mine and no probs with ride or stock shocks so far... only regret i have is not getting eibachs instead..prefer the stance better then raked look of HR's... next BMW I'll know which to get...*th-up*

EricE330ci
09-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Sell the H&R's Surk and then get the eibachs instead. Lots of guys like the raked look of the H&R's...:confused:

Did you buy your springs new or used?

Surk
09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Bought them used 4 mths old... great spring, but I'm finicky and Quickid's look suits me better with the Eibachs... I'll see over winter..maybe go the coilover route...chat about it on Snake Cruise... Lookin forward to seein your awesome 330*th-up*

EricE330ci
09-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Surk
chat about it on Snake Cruise... Lookin forward to seein your awesome 330*th-up*

Snake rd cruise this Sunday *th-up* :D *par-t* *wave*