PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Bridgestone Potenza RE750

Gamite
08-18-2004, 05:23 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potenza_re750_ci2_l.jpg

well, I currently have Kumho 712's, my initial opinion on these tires were good. Cheap tires, good performance. But as time passed, I noticed that these tires are not a good mix with 4000 LB 5ers.

I can see why they get good ratings, most enthusiats out there are driving lighter compacts. I dunno how much of an affect this has on wear, but my tires are wearing down fast. too fast for my comfort.

So, I was reasearching through tire rack, and I came upon these Potenza RE750's. Apparently they have very good tread wear ratings (8.3) And their performance seems to be quite good.

I also looked at goodyear F1's but they are slightly out of my price range. Longevity is the key issue here.

What do you guys think of these?

Potenza's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE750&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=34WR8RE750&fromCompare1=yes

712's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=34WR8ES712&fromCompare1=yes

TiemenT
08-18-2004, 06:07 PM
dunno how much you wanna spend on tires.. but for bmw's the allmighty michelin's pilot sport are the best..

http://members.home.nl/carbase/csl/small2/resize9.JPG

but in the other hand.. the bridgestone are much cheaper.. and you don't really nead race tires..

Mystikal
08-18-2004, 06:33 PM
The RE750 is the best all around UHP tire, without a doubt. Leagues ahead of the best-selling ES100. It even has a 340 treadwear rating, which is just insane for a tire with such performance.

Justin e36
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
if your kumho's are 18's and you wanna sell them TOMORROW... then gimme a shout!! :) ...

pip328
08-18-2004, 08:49 PM
The Potenza's I believe are truly the best. I have had them on porsches, various bmw's (3,7, etc) and they are truly amazing. Awesome grip, great life span.. and awesome in the rain. I currently have Dunlop PS900 on my 330Ci, and I hate them. Cant wait for next summer to switch rubber.

ChahalzBMR
08-18-2004, 08:54 PM
I had those tires (RE750) and all I have to say is that they are the best!!!!! The best for the price. They stick to the road like glue even when it rains!!!!

low_bmw
08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
i have 2 of those Re750's for sale. 245/45/17 almost new 95% left. make an offer if your interested.

crusher
08-18-2004, 10:58 PM
arent RE750 noisy as hell too like the 730's? I have the 730 and their like airplanes on the highway

Gamite
08-19-2004, 02:47 AM
Trust me, u can't hear shit from the inside of my car.. either my muffler droans everything out, or the subs..

TiemenT, those tires are useless in the rain. If money wasn't an option, I'd go for the Goodyear F1's. They're awesome I hear. Awesome tread life too.

Gamite
08-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by low_bmw
i have 2 of those Re750's for sale. 245/45/17 almost new 95% left. make an offer if your interested.

I'm running 18's, otherwise I'd pick those up from you.

Justin: I'm not 100% on buying new tires yet.. maybe next month, I'll keep you posted. They're a bit low on tread, but I sell it dirt cheap.

beamerboycsl
08-19-2004, 06:26 PM
yea i have those tires on them now, there done and i need new ones quick, there quite i think and the life span is only about 20,000 miles tho. but for a performance tire is normal. the faulken 512 are pretty nice and are basically the sister tire, but btw those tires are no longer made RE730 instead they came out with the fusion, same thing different name tho.

2lehelix
08-19-2004, 09:01 PM
What about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? Z-rated, awesome in the rain, and I ran my old 01 540i through the winter here in Edmonton using those tires. Maybe 1 or 2 times all winter when I had to worry about the traction control going nuts. I believe they are 400 on the tread wear rating as well.

Have had them on two cars and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Mystikal
08-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by crusher
arent RE750 noisy as hell too like the 730's? I have the 730 and their like airplanes on the highway

Nope. The RE750 is based off the S-03 carcass (*mw*) just with a harder compund a bit more rain sipping. Completely different tire.

And Julian let me know if you need a good price on them.

Mystikal
08-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 2lehelix
What about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

Best all-season made no doubt, but that's like winning a medal at the special olympics. It's also massively overpriced. I'd say they're good for places that have extremely little snowfall and temperatures that rarely go beneath 10 celcius, but otherwise you can do a lot better with a dedicated summer/winter setup.

crusher
08-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Nope. The RE750 is based off the S-03 carcass (*mw*) just with a harder compund a bit more rain sipping. Completely different tire.

nice i'll be looking forward to the 750's then :)

M3Turboca
08-20-2004, 10:42 AM
The RE750 should be a good tire if you can get a decent price a much better tire than the Re730.

They are a improvement over the RE730 for noise and grip.

I had the RE730 for 2 years and there were pretty good but loud as this tire design had a problem with the thread wearing unevenly. Up and down on the inside or outside of the tire.

Then again my car was running -2 camber on the front and the toe was slighty out.

I have always had good luck with Bridgestone using back in 1988 RE71 they were excellent tires but back then the thread wear was only 140. :(

Currently using Pilot Sport and they have much better dry traction but damm they are noisy too and I had the car aligned properly too.

Next tire change this should be next spring, I think Im going to try the Hankook K104 or Falken ST115 and go one size larger 255/40/17 I need the traction. :)

The falken are supposed to be very quiet for a uhp tire. :)

My point is there is no need to spend Big $$ on tires unless you drive it on the track and then use R type. The grip that most tires gives is more than adequate for the street and by pushing it in a turn and feeling the car slide then you are not taking the corner or ramp at the right apex.

Over the years I have tried many different tires, there are differences but they are small but the prices vary $$, so buy the best value you can get.

Gamite
08-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal

Gimme a price 235/40R 18

M3 turbo, so what is your recomendation? I'm not too worried about noise, but if its unbearable, I probably would have something to say about it. Tire wear is a key issue. The price seems pretty good. Just a penny over my kumho's.

SeRb
08-20-2004, 02:07 PM
i had potenzas on my car b4,

they're not bad tires, they lasted me around 115k :)

only bad thing is the road noise u get, its pretty ****in bad, but then again u said u have ur exhaust and subs so thats not a prob

i switched to pirellis and it was amazing how much quieter the ride is

anyways

good luck with whatever u choose

ez

Gamite
08-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok, I looked around a bit.. and I found some all season ultra performance tires.. What do you guys think of these? They're all at very good prices, and have amazing tread life. Should I consider or stay away?

Like:

PZero Nero M+S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S

Pilot Sport A/S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS

AVS db S2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+dB+S2

M3Turboca
08-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Gamite if you are going to use the tires only in the summer dont buy any high performance all season like those you listed.

They will not give you the dry grip and wet also.

I also haved used the Kumho 712 on my Mazda 3 and they are good but the ride is a little hard.

There is no need to spend Big $$ on high performance tires. Any good brand name will do the job it you need good tire wear then get at least 300+ wear

How about the ECSTA MX good value too :)

Manimillion
08-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by M3Turboca
There is no need to spend Big $$ on high performance tires.

You certainly don't enjoy driving your car then.

One thing I would never cheap out on is tires, I don't care if I go thru them in 2 oil changes, I will always buy the best I can, and something that gives me more pleasure (which is grip) when I drive.

M3Turboca
08-21-2004, 12:06 AM
DevilOnWheelz trust me with now 400rwhp and 375ft/lbs of rw torque to make a statement I dont enjoy my car, I think not. :)

Tell me how can one have this much power and not enjoy it and not know how to handle it. :)

Maybe you dont know how to drive your car properly to make a statment spend lots of money on tires, maybe you are not experienced enough to handle the car properly and over driving your tires. :)

I think from driving a turbo car running 17 psi and full suspension from 1988 gives me good experience and knowledge. :)

Trust me half you you guys out there dont know the dynamics about your car suspension and many suspension is not even setup right.

Most lower the car too low and then on top of that run the stock shocks. *no-no* No wonder why the cars dont handle properly and drivers tend to over drive the tires.

It's not all in the tires trust me. :)

Why do you think that a experienced driver can take a car on a track and have way less lap times than you or me with the same car, it's knowing how to drive it. :)

Ps: May I ask what do you drive and what tires you are currently running on ? :)

Manimillion
08-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by M3Turboca
DevilOnWheelz trust me with now 400rwhp and 375ft/lbs of rw torque to make a statement I dont enjoy my car, I think not. :)

Tell me how can one have this much power and not enjoy it and not know how to handle it. :)

Maybe you dont know how to drive your car properly to make a statment spend lots of money on tires, maybe you are not experienced enough to handle the car properly and over driving your tires. :)

I think from driving a turbo car running 17 psi and full suspension from 1988 gives me good experience and knowledge. :)

Trust me half you you guys out there dont know the dynamics about your car suspension and many suspension is not even setup right.

Most lower the car too low and then on top of that run the stock shocks. *no-no* No wonder why the cars dont handle properly and drivers tend to over drive the tires.

It's not all in the tires trust me. :)

Why do you think that a experienced driver can take a car on a track and have way less lap times than you or me with the same car, it's knowing how to drive it. :)

Ps: May I ask what do you drive and what tires you are currently running on ? :)

I think telling you that being a fully sponsored gokart racer in Europe by a big company like SHELL would give you enough information about my driving.

My car(s) have everything done up properly you can be sure of that, my camber and caster has been set to specs which wouldn't affect the drivability of the car without loosing on the cornering side. Do I do burnouts on my tires to finish them off that fast? No, do I launch the car and drag race it? No...

PS : I run Falken Azenis on one of my cars, and for more info I can tell you that my family owns the biggest tire manufacturing company in middle east, which has patents for pirelli, bf goodwrich and etc. tires, so I know my little share when it comes to tires, and how to take care of them.

WhadUpp
08-21-2004, 04:37 AM
I'm a fully sponsored bumber car driver *th-up*

M3Turboca
08-21-2004, 09:01 AM
DevilOnWheelz with that kind of back ground you have you do know more than the average person when it comes to handling a car properly and what makes a tire better than the other.

The point I was trying to make if you took a car that has a good sport suspension or even stock and run a tire test there is not that much difference in dry grip to warrant the Huge price difference in tires.

When car magazines do controlled tire test on laterial grip wet and dry the differenced in numbers are small. Yes they are differences but on the street I cant see by spending the big $$ for the best tire especially if the majority of cars is not setup to take advantage of the higher grip or have the power to out drive them.

As you being a experienced race cart driver you know a better driver can make the car handle much better with cheaper tire than one without.

On the street we are not counting precious et.

On the street the roads are not always clean there is light trace of dirt and dust always on the corners and any tire from average to max performance will still lose grip.

The way that I look on it most of your time driving, I would take a estimate 95% is normal highway or street driving other than the odd time pushing the car on a ramp.

Im not saying buy the cheapest no name time, what Im saying is for most of us like me buy a good tires that you can get better value on.

With the cops being pricks and insurance companies being bastards nobody that is sensible would be driving like a idiot on the streets all the time other than the odd idiot that think's he knows how to handle his car better than everybody else but he actually does not.

Because most of my driving is not trying to take every ramp and corner hard I have changed my car alignment towards stock. I was running -2 camber on the front fro the last 5 years with -1.8' on the rear with proper toe and max caster on the front.

As you know great for track handling but how often do I drive on the track vs tire wear. I can tell you that I only drive my car from spring to fall ocassionally a few daysin the winter if I can get a dry and clean day.

My rear tires do not last me more than 20,000km because of the torque and I do not drive and do burnouts for what? I rememebr using RE71 and those would only last me one spring to spring as thread wear was 140. I find that I need a comprmise of atleast 200 to 300 to get a decent two years on them. 20-25,000km

Gamite
08-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok you two, stop flaming my thread. Help me on tires.

I saw the MX's. but the tire wear is too low.. I saw the 750's on tire rack for $161 US so approx 209 CAD.. Before customs of course. Does anyone have experience shipping from tire rack?

Manimillion
08-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Gamite

I saw the MX's. but the tire wear is too low.. I saw the 750's on tire rack for $161 US so approx 209 CAD.. Before customs of course. Does anyone have experience shipping from tire rack?

Ship it to the states, and pick it up...

If you want tires lemme know the size and I'll let u know of the pricing.

I think those Potenza's you said come stock on the WRX's as well.

M3Turboca
08-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Gamite

Hey which two are you talking about you and who ?? :D DevilOnWheelz you know who Gamite is talking about ?? *angel*

Dont ship anything from ths us here UPS will rape you on the brokerage fee plus you have to pay all the taxes and pay someone to have it mounted and balanced.

I shipped tires from tire track and ups raped me $130.00 for two tires. Well gst and pst was in there but they charges $70.00 for handling fee.

Gamite maybe you can get it here locally and pay the shop cash and save a few $$

Gamite
08-21-2004, 01:03 PM
well the tires are $369 here, I've checked most of my connections, if anyone can get them cheaper let me know. I might get tires next time I go down to the states.

Autotechnica
08-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I agree with DevilOnWheelz,

Who cares what kind of suspension you have and what camber/caster settings you have. It doesn't mean anything if you don't have good tires. Don't you realize that your whole car sits on those tires? All the upgrades you do on your suspension will be a complete waste of money if you put on crappy tires. Put a great set of tires on a crappy car, and the lap times of that car would be improved more than any suspension parts you could put on it.

For someone (M3Turboca) with that much power and claims to know a lot about tires, I would think that you would understand this. Try Hankook ZR rated Ventus plus tires and come back on here and tell me that price isn't a factor when buying tires.

Sorry, but how can you say people don't know how to setup their suspension properly when you make such an ignorant statement about tires?

Bry

M3Turboca
08-23-2004, 03:26 AM
Here we go again Autotechnica I have a few things to say to you must be ignorant, have no experience, or knows what you are talking about.

If your alignment is not setup right you car will handle like the shits. Come let me adjust your toe out of specs and see how your car handles around a corner or even driivng straight want to put your money where your mouth is and see how your car handles ?? :)

You must be one of those person that thinks he knows the world. I dont think I know everything but Im telling you from experience and the way that you have responded that I do know more than you :)

Do you want to put my pilot sport on your car and then let me run the ventus or cheaper tire than what you are currently using and let me see which car can handle much better. :)

Bmw must have been so stupid to not just put better tires on a M car. Why bother change the suspension points, shock and spring values, alignment settings, and as you said just upgrade the tires ??

Hmm I noticed that you have also upgraded your suspension but why you say it does not make the difference like good tires why did you not buy better tires than what you are using like SO3, Toyo T1S??

You are so closed mined that you did not read what Im saying. I did not say buy the cheapest tires I said buy the best value tires you can get.

If your main driving is on the street tell me where you can use that .08g more ??

Do you think that there was a Huge difference in my older RE730 to the pilot sport NO. :) I got the pilot sports because I got the 4 tires for $1000.00cnd here locally. Yes they have a slightly higher grip in the dry than the 730 but at the regular price I would not have bought them.

Trust me with the little power you have hmm what 180rwhp if you are lucky and you need such better tires to make your car handle, then you don't know how to drive sorry. :)

I must be stupid why a race teams in F1 or Cart can have the same setup on two cars YES with the SAME TIRES and get better lap times please explain this to me :)

My god is it the driver that knows how to drive better and handle a car?? :D

KennyTheGreat
08-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by DevilOnWheelz
Ship it to the states, and pick it up...

If you want tires lemme know the size and I'll let u know of the pricing.

I think those Potenza's you said come stock on the WRX's as well.

stock wrx's come with Potenza RE92's :)

p.s. I think the stock sti's come with Potenza RE070's

Mystikal
08-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
It doesn't mean anything if you don't have good tires. Don't you realize that your whole car sits on those tires? All the upgrades you do on your suspension will be a complete waste of money if you put on crappy tires.

Hey Bryan, still running those wonderful FM901's? :D