PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light within 100km of K&N install

Fern
08-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Any tips on how to remove the MAF sensor (for cleaning with electrical contact cleaner) and reseting the ecu.

Thanks,

Fern

///Greco540
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
you need torx set of screw drivers, remove both torx bolts holding the sensor in the housing.

but pull the error code, there's a good chance it might be something else. Is the car in limp mode?

Fern
08-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
you need torx set of screw drivers, remove both torx bolts holding the sensor in the housing.

but pull the error code, there's a good chance it might be something else. Is the car in limp mode?

Greco540,

the car appears to be performing reasonable well...
It idles smooth, and starts great.

Just today I removed the cover for the sparkplugs and noted no oil in sparkplug well.. therefore no plug shorted...

I also thought about bad O2 sensor and cats, but its all one heck of a co-incidence that I have had the car for 2 years and everything is fine until I installed the dreaded K&N filter.

I removed the housing that the MAF sensor is located in and applied electrictrical contact cleaner, allowed it to dry and will disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the ecu and pray that it corrected the problem.

MAF is drying as I'm typing....

I'll post results of my efforts soon,

Thanks Bill,

Fern

Fern
08-16-2004, 10:34 PM
RE-installed the MAF sensor after cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (non residue type) and a cotton q-tip, followed by a good 45 minutes of drying time.

I pulled the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes and when I started the car... No Check engine code.

Now, time to reset the ecu to my liking- spirited drying that is..

Up HWY 400, not too congested and in seconds went 120-160-190... wow what a difference reseting the ecu and cleaning the MAF sensor did.

This is going to be on my too do list every spring before the cruise season begins,

In a way I'm happy this happened, since it motivated me to look inside the sparkplug wells for oil... none found, therefore next task is to find out where those 2-3 drops of oil on my garage floor are coming from each week..

Thanks Bill (///Greco540) for you suggestion. BTW going to be in Montreal on Wednesday for a meeting and will definitely make it a point of taking in the sites.

Cheers,
Fern*wave*