PDA

View Full Version : Got a damn speeding ticket.

bmwm5lover
08-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Well since I moved to Aurora, I have been taking alot of the curvy, country like roads, flying at speeds around 90-130km/h, with no problems so far, since most people usually do around the same. Well yesterday i wasn't so lucky. I was heading North on Jane, just before 16th sideroad, at about 120(twice the limit), with my high beams on, on a pretty much deserted pitch black road, blasting some tiesto, when i saw a blue stripe reflect my light right behind a bush, so i JAMMED my brakes and brought my car back down to 70, with no luck. I saw him turn his lights on, wait for me to pass him, and him, AND ANOTHER cop who had parked beside him shout out after me. Ofcourse i obliged and pulled over. BOTH cops decided to walk up to my car. Here is the convo that pretty much happened.

Cop: Good evening sir, i caught u doing more then the speed limit. 103 in a 60, thats a 43km/h offence.

Me: Sorry officer, bla bla bla bla, not feeling to good, bla bla bla bla.... at which point the second cop left after someone else.

Cop: Well regardless of your reasoning sir, I still have to give u a ticket.

Me: Damn.

Cop: Now another thing, I notice that there is a lot of illegal things on ur car, that i can ticket you for: ( Im sitting thinking, ok, my front euro plate, my front bend ontario plate, too low.....):but therfe is one thing that has caught my attention. Your muffler is a non stock muffler, thats too loud, and I could ticket you for that.

Me: Sir, my muffler is stock.

Cop: Don't argue with me, this is a non stock muffler, i saw your tips.
Just when I was about to tell him that my muffler is stock, those are just tips, and it has a hole in it, he told me he wasnt planning on ticketting me for it. PHEW

Me: Thank you officer.

Cop: can I have ur licence only please, and ill be back with ur ticket shortly.

about 10 minutes later....

Cop: Here is your ticket, I gave u a 10 over, and no points, instead of 5 points and couple of hundred fine. Obey the limit, cuz im not gonna be this nice next time. Have a nice evening.

Then he followed me for about 10 minutes.

Verdict is, not all cops, all though uneducated about our cars, are total pricks. He could have busted me hardcore for the 43 over.

Now im not planning on fighting it since its only 40$ and no points that wont affect my insurance...You think i should?

chitown
08-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I don't think he could give you a ticket because your muffler ISNT stock anyway, that's just retarded. Can they ticket you for being too loud though?

Also I'm not too sure your insurance won't go up, unless you haven't had a ticket before...

SebSter
08-14-2004, 06:35 PM
apparently most insurances give you one ticket and then any after they up your rates.

you got really lucky though, wish i had that luck with cops

ZiMMie
08-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
apparently most insurances give you one ticket and then any after they up your rates.

you got really lucky though, wish i had that luck with cops

hey chk ur pm

bmwm5lover
08-14-2004, 06:58 PM
but if it has no points, then insurance has nothing to do with it

Gianpaolo_E46
08-14-2004, 07:00 PM
tickets stay on ur record for 3 years and demerit point 2 years..or vise versa, might affect ur insurance depends..

T.Dot_E30
08-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear you got caught man........I've been paranoid as hell lately, thinking cops are gonna be hiding......so i've been slowing down.

Atleast he didn't rape u with a huge ticket.

I think you show fight it anyways.....for fun, get a court date which wont be anytime soon........

R_JAY
08-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Terry, points or not if you pay the fine then it will go in your record. If your insurance company decides to check at your next renewal then they could jack up your rates if they feel like it.

Sorry to hear.

app
08-14-2004, 07:37 PM
It will just be considered a minor speeding ticket on your insurance, rather than a major speeding offence.

My insurance guy said they usually let 2 or 3 minors go before jacking up the rate (depending on how frequent you get them), but a major one means a rate increase.

Soldo
08-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Yup, Rich is right, your insurance is finding out about this.

Also, just a heads up, usually when they bust you for something outrageous, they pull numbers outta their asses, meaning, you were doing 43 over...... YA RIGHT, it means you were doing 120, and they have no idea, so they make up a number, and since they didn't ACTUALLY radar you, they bust you for doing 10 over, i believe thats the only ticket they can give you for VISUAL SPEEDING (when your OBVIOUSLY speeding, but theres no radar around, i believe thats the most a cop can give ya!). So hows that for a 'NICE COP' tellin ya man, cops are on power trips all the time, don't take shit like that from them, just learn to get buy it, if he claims you were doing 43 over, ask to see the gun, if he doesn't have it, you get NO ticket, don't take there lies/abuse just cause they wear a badge!

Mr seville
08-14-2004, 07:51 PM
lol did you get stopped by the king city police:D i've been stopped by them a few times...my friend lives right on 16th and jane...if you wanna speed hit up weston rd...your good for about 225 with no problems there*th-up* i'm working up at newmarket volvo right now you should stop in sometime make fun of some of the slack jawwed yokles that drive in that want $2500 worth of parts when they're 87 740 is only worth 1500:D *wave*

oh btw go file a court date for that one...they'll wave the ticket and you'll get off*th-up*

M3ti Compact
08-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Your insurance WILL be affected even if it's no points. Points and insurance are totally different things.

Any speeding ticket will be counted as "minor" offence to insurance- a 1 over up to a 49 over are exactly the same in the eyes of insurance. These will stay on record for 3 years.

Points are just against your licence to drive- get to many, they (government) yank the licence. Nothing to do with insurance.

It's only if you are like, mid 50's with a clean record that they would let you slide on a minor- my insurance went up $500 after my first ticket (27 over).

chitown
08-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Got a ticket last summer for 10 over, was my first ticket, insurance let it slide since it was my first ticket. Got rear-ended in the beginning of this year, but I suppose due to the no-fault law my insurance rocketed anyway... bunch of crooks...

ANDREW330CI
08-15-2004, 01:36 AM
your insurance works on a point system also, a minor ticket gets 1 insurance point for anything 0-15 over, 2 points for 15-49. they can cancel your coverage after 4 points. my broker read this to me.

Manimillion
08-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
but if it has no points, then insurance has nothing to do with it

News flash,

Any moving violation you get, can effect your insurance, doesn't matter if it has points or not.

djcontra
08-15-2004, 02:18 AM
You need a radar detector for sure when you're out in the boonies like that. In the city having one is next to worthless because of all the false alarms, but up north the one I have works like a charm; I can usually pickup po-po's radar a couple km's away. *th-up*
You're lucky that the cop reduced the fine though, it's no fun getting a 5 point ticket and $285 fine, and I'm talking from experience as it's happened to me before :(

(thankfully my record is clean now)

M3ti Compact
08-15-2004, 12:00 PM
I got a 4 point 37 over and the fine was $295. How come your guys 5 pointers 40+ ticket's fines are less??

bmwm5lover
08-17-2004, 08:14 PM
well i madea court date to fight it

sexxxybimmer
08-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear that amigo.
i was in the same situation last year, i was doing 90 on 50 and i was zig zaging and the police caught me, he was so nice to me or maybe that was my first ticket, anyway he gave me $40 ticket and no point,BUT me i dont like to have any tickets on my file so i put it in court and i also got a lawyer, and i told him (cop) see u in the court :D and he told me i put a mark here which means if u go to court the court will tell u the officer already gave u discount on ticket, but i didnt leason to him, ....
i won the court

:moon: to all cops

joeyg
08-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i

Also, just a heads up, usually when they bust you for something outrageous, they pull numbers outta their asses, meaning, you were doing 43 over...... YA RIGHT, it means you were doing 120, and they have no idea, so they make up a number, and since they didn't ACTUALLY radar you, they bust you for doing 10 over, i believe thats the only ticket they can give you for VISUAL SPEEDING (when your OBVIOUSLY speeding, but theres no radar around, i believe thats the most a cop can give ya!). So hows that for a 'NICE COP' tellin ya man, cops are on power trips all the time, don't take shit like that from them, just learn to get buy it, if he claims you were doing 43 over, ask to see the gun, if he doesn't have it, you get NO ticket, don't take there lies/abuse just cause they wear a badge!

There is no such thing as giving a ticket for visual speeding. If the cop didn't get you on radar, then he would have no evidence of speeding, so he would have had to give you a ticket for one of the other issues he had with you concerning your car.

As far the showing you the radar reading, the police are not required to show you, some do out of courtesy, but they don't have to.

Joe

Miguel
08-17-2004, 10:43 PM
fight it, even a zero-points ticket affects your insurance if you get 2 or more of them.

Insurance *sometimes* forgives 1 minor 3 or less points... but if you get 2 they charge you for BOTH.

sexxxybimmer
08-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Ok first of all the cop, didnt get u on radar thats why he gave u a ticket like that if he had u on radar he would't care like he saw 120 he would't change it to 119.
fight for it.
let me give u a tip, when u get a date for u court change it to someother day, 70% the officer wont show up.

sirex
08-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i

my quesitons is this.

ok so th ecop comes up to the window. says to you, i caught you doing 43 km opver the limit..

then u tell him ok show me the radar.......

if he says he doesn;t have a radar then what?

also if you told the cop

i was acutally doing 120 km hour, can he then bust you for that for acutally telling the cop u did that?

furthermore if you go to court and say that i wasn't doing 10 km over the lmiit
i was doing 120 km.. which means hes incorrect..

wouldn't you just make the hole thing look retarded and get off?

just wondering.. i haven't had to deal with this so im just asking.

d12
08-18-2004, 01:56 AM
fight it man, even no points insurance will rape just because it's still a ticket

Kip
08-20-2004, 07:31 AM
How is it abuse of power to pull someone over for speeding? He admitted himself that he was... it's no biggie, all of us speed, but when you get caught, well... shyt happens. Doesn't mean the cop was doing anything wrong. Why all the crap about cops being aholes? I think you should thank the cop for being so nice.

As for power trips.. it's human nature. Given the opportunity, we would all do the same. To which degree is another question.

Aholes are the insurance guys, not the cops. Cops don't give you speedin tickets cuz they feel like increasing your rates... the Insurance industry does that part. They give you tickets cuz you broke the law.

And yes, fight it!! Not cuz you are innocent, but because the insurance guys will rip a new ahole for you if you don't.

I ain't a cop myself, but just feel like some of the comments here don't make a lot of sense...:huh?:

M3Turboca
08-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Some of you guys are right some of you are out to lunch. :)

Anyway look on your ticket 2/3 down where they write down the liscense plate num etc to the right of that line there is a Code box what was written there a R ?? and number.

What this means is that he reduced your ticket and gave you a break. If you fight the ticket and the cop shows up for court the crown and cop will nail you.

Before the court starts go into the court room and look for the cop if he is there go up and talk to the crown and say you changed your mind you want to plead guilty with a explanation they will reduce the fine.

If you decide to fight it and the cop is there they can charge you for the higher amount too. For sure you will lose and end up worst paying the 10 over.

If the cop is not there you just got off. Hopfully he does not show up the the chance are slim. :(

SebSter
08-20-2004, 04:28 PM
You cant get convicted for more than is on your ticket, thats for sure.

Another little tip I picked up is the following. Use as a last resort though if the cop shows up. Radar guns need to be callibrated every so often, but apparently most cops are too lazy to do this, so. If your posponing the courtdate doesnt work and the cop still shows up. Ask him the serial number of the gun used to determine your speed (Do this first). Then, ask when before your offence was the gun last callibrated. More often than not it will not have been callibrated within the required time. Say I wasnt speeding, since the gun was not callibrated as is required it must have shown an incorrect reading. And voila, you're off.

Understated
08-20-2004, 04:42 PM
^^^wow thats pretty awesome....have you actually used this and gotten off?

bmwm5lover
08-20-2004, 06:25 PM
i dont think he cxcan say that he already lowered it, and since im fighting it, he will give me a higher fine.

SebSter
08-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Superman87
^^^wow thats pretty awesome....have you actually used this and gotten off?

Havent used it but i was chilling at my mechanic's one day and talking to someone there and he told me. Im planning to use it this winter when I have my court date.

Its worth a try if all else fails.

Mr seville
08-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by M3Turboca
Some of you guys are right some of you are out to lunch. :)

Anyway look on your ticket 2/3 down where they write down the liscense plate num etc to the right of that line there is a Code box what was written there a R ?? and number.

What this means is that he reduced your ticket and gave you a break. If you fight the ticket and the cop shows up for court the crown and cop will nail you.

Before the court starts go into the court room and look for the cop if he is there go up and talk to the crown and say you changed your mind you want to plead guilty with a explanation they will reduce the fine.

If you decide to fight it and the cop is there they can charge you for the higher amount too. For sure you will lose and end up worst paying the 10 over.

If the cop is not there you just got off. Hopfully he does not show up the the chance are slim. :(

i had a ticket like that and i won it, **** that terry fight it!*uzi*

Christina
08-20-2004, 08:48 PM
why cant there be more freaken cops like that one.