PDA

View Full Version : E30 against 2001 Prelude SR

MatyBMW
07-03-2002, 12:38 PM
My cousin just bought a 5spd prelude SR 2001. I wanted to see how my 168hp 2.5 6banger german engine would play against his 4cyl 200hp Japanese.

My car has, headlight intake, K&N, Dinan chip, short throw kit, and exhaust. From those mods, it probably brings my car to about 174-179hp.

We raced down lakeshore and the first race he had a good launch and was not even a half car length ahead of me until we stopped racing at 120km/h

The second time I was a head from the beginning and then we were neck and neck until 120km/h.

It just goes to show how higher torque really makes a difference when his horsepower was much higher than mine.

I tried driving his honda piece of shit and it felt "fast" but it didn't feel like it was "pulling" me .. Like it had no guts to it. It was gutless. Then I drove my 325 and it feels like a tiger trapped in a cage, pulling me back with lubricated G-force!

Conclusion: I would never want a honda. Or quite simply, I would never want a car with no torque :)

Anyone else agree?*wiggle*

Jon@Bimmersport
07-03-2002, 03:34 PM
u wudnt want a honda? wat about a prelude with a turbo? i seen ludes in the states putting around 400hp to the wheels..or i think it was the wheels, anyways, stock they r a piece of shit for "gut" power...but with a lil bit of work they r fun machines. take a look at the egg! i took a ride in it, and i must say...its ****in fast! and since its so light the 1.6 or 1.8L engine has enuf torque for it. if u want a ride that throws u back in ur seat...get a mustang 5.0

SickFinga
07-04-2002, 05:16 AM
E46_lover I would take any car with aftermarket turbo.

car-stats.com

both prelude and 325is got the same 1/4mile time. 15.5sec

tell that to honda guys, and they gonna tell you the stories how they easilly rape 330ci in their stock ludes.

Slowered318
07-06-2002, 04:02 AM
doesn't matter what you can do to a 4 banger ..do the same to the 2.5 in your E30 and it will still be faster.

then give it the tall gear the 4 banger has and it'll fly!

Jon@Bimmersport
07-06-2002, 02:26 PM
thats tru cuz the 2.5 has more torque...but only .3L more than a prelude 1997-current. the new 1s have 2.2L backing them up, and for those who swap the engines to japan spec i beleive ites 2.3L leaving only a .2L margin, which can easily be fixed by boring some crap i dunno. but i wud gladdy take a turbo's prelude over a 2.5 e30 just becuz i think the preludes look a bit better to me. but i wud still take an e30

Eurostyle
07-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
thats tru cuz the 2.5 has more torque...but only .3L more than a prelude 1997-current. the new 1s have 2.2L backing them up, and for those who swap the engines to japan spec i beleive ites 2.3L leaving only a .2L margin, which can easily be fixed by boring some crap i dunno. but i wud gladdy take a turbo's prelude over a 2.5 e30 just becuz i think the preludes look a bit better to me. but i wud still take an e30

OK...this is like comparing apples and oranges!!! You are taking about late 90's Prelude and early 80's BMW!!!! Back in the days the BMW would have killed and honda on the road!!!! And as far as looks, i'll still pick any 88 E30 over an 88 Prelude!!!!:puke:

e36_freak
07-07-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle

OK...this is like comparing apples and oranges!!! You are taking about late 90's Prelude and early 80's BMW!!!! Back in the days the BMW would have killed and honda on the road!!!! And as far as looks, i'll still pick any 88 E30 over an 88 Prelude!!!!:puke:

i agree with you filip. i'd take an e30 over a prelude any day......... your comparing apples and orranges here...... but i'd take a six banger over a four banger anyday..... gotta love the straight six's

here's a quote from my bmw phone face......
Breath. Shift. Smile. And so it goes on down 'in line'