PDA

View Full Version : e36 + understeer =

ScotcH
08-10-2004, 09:10 PM
So here's how my weekend at Shannonville ended ... slid right off turn 1 into the wall, and filpped it :( I ended up with a bruise from the seat belt, and some scratches on my back. Very lucky, I guess, and not something I care to repeat.

To all those that have 5-point belts with no cage: Imagine yourself in the driver's seat of my car. I was very lucky to just have the stock belts!

http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/images/bmw smash1.jpg
http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/images/bmw smash2.jpg
http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/images/bmw smash3.jpg
http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/images/bmw smash4.jpg
http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/images/bmw smash5.jpg

03 Dinan 3
08-10-2004, 09:20 PM
ouch
glad you're alright...

Ryousuke
08-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Damn that sucks.. glad you are okay though

Alezone
08-10-2004, 09:35 PM
ouch... it hurts... insurance...?

Polish
08-10-2004, 09:36 PM
im assuming total write off, insurance doesnt do shit on the track

BigD
08-10-2004, 11:29 PM
No, unless it was a track school. But you can take them to court and you'll usually win.

Originally posted by Polish
im assuming total write off, insurance doesnt do shit on the track

Quack
08-10-2004, 11:32 PM
sorry to hear, glad your ok

sirex
08-10-2004, 11:36 PM
hhahahahhahaha your car got ownded man.. sorry to hear..

glad your alright

lesson to kids:

racing is bad

330DTM
08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Sorry to hear what happened,

I presume that you had a helmet on at that time otherwise from the pictures it would've looked like some bad head injuries without a helmet.

By the way, when you went off the track, were you trying to steer the car? From what I remember the grassy area at Shannonville is pretty bumpy, and I remember one of the organizers of the event that i went to, they said to try and keep the car straight in the grass field and if you try and fight for the direction you might flip.

ScotcH
08-10-2004, 11:54 PM
This was during a Solo I event, so no insurance ... even if it was, I would not claim it ... way too much hassle. It was a track car, so a write-off has to be an accepted risk. Still sucks, though! Yes, I was wearing a helmet ... I'm not stupid enough to go out without one (although some might argue that, since I DID go out on the track in the first place :) )

As for why it flipped, it was basically because the front end hit the wall at about 20, and the tire dug in I guess. It flipped end over end, not a roll. When I went off, I had both feet in, just riding it out, and the car went off straight ... I though the worst might be side damage from the wall, but I guess it just hit at a funny angle, and got caught on the tires.

Yes, I definitly got owned ... but I did borrow another car and finished the event *shiner*

Mystikal
08-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by sirex
lesson to kids:

racing is bad

Racing on the track would teach you quite a bit more about car control, stuff you can apply to everyday driving, kid.

I hope you go smash mommy's car into a brick wall so I can tell you commuting is bad.

BigD
08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Christ, what the **** is wrong with you??? Man, one of these days you're going to run your mouth to the wrong person and I hope they take pictures.

hhahahahhahaha your car got ownded man.. sorry to hear..

glad your alright

lesson to kids:

racing is bad

Nascar318is
08-11-2004, 09:39 AM
That truly blows man, when you said it was a track car, does that mean you have a daily driver?

Just glad to hear that you are O.k.

crusher
08-11-2004, 09:51 AM
sorry to hear about your misfortune man :/ what are you planning on getting next?

UncleJ
08-11-2004, 10:13 AM
That's shitty.

Atleast you're ok.

Justin e36
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Jeez.. I can't believe how non-chalant everyone in this thread is about what happened to you and your car.

Two things I can say. One is that I'm now thinking twice about tracking my car... since my car IS also my daily driver. And second, I don't know how you got the nerve to get another car and finish the event... if I went through something like that and saw my car in that condition after, I'd be too nervous to drive for a while to come...

I'm glad you're okay and only minor injuries. How fast were you going when the car flipped?

bmwm5lover
08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Ouch. Glad you are ok, but this is part of the learning experience. When tracking you should be prepared for the worst, including writing off a car.
sirex STFU

ScotcH
08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks all ... I really feel that I was very lucky, and appreciate the kind words. I do have other daily drivers (see sig). This was a car I bought for the track, and was prepared to write it off. I just didn't think it would happen in the first year :eek:

As to going out again right after, if I did not do it, I might not have done it for a very long time. Basically, just had to get the shakes out. There are too many occasions where people just don't want to get behind the wheel again, and that sucks, but is understandable ... I did not want to be one of them. My father was in a crash, and has not driven a car since (5 years ago).

Yes, the car is likely a write off (although it still runs perfectly, so lots of spare parts). I am looking for another e36 shell to start work on, and believe me, this time the cage is going in first! Sh!t happens, as they say, but it is rare, and just a bad combination of circumstances in this case ... really, at worst I though I'd bang up the side a bit when it was going for the wall. Some rut or something just caught it the worng way. The front straight is probably about 150kph ... I just shift into 4th right before the corner, and keep it planted. It's a fast right-hand sweeper. So, I was probably going about 150 when it slid, and probably less than 100 when it flipped since I went through a bit of grass, and had both feet in at that point.

Justin: Don't let this turn you off track time. It's the best driver education you will get, and if done properly, can be very safe and enjoyable. You don't have to go balls out all the time, and this will minimize the risk. Just make sure to have a good instructor take you through the ropes ... the BMW school at Mosport is excellent for this, and is LOADS of fun.

sirex
08-11-2004, 12:12 PM
hahhaha you guys have like ****en dildos up your ass....

"omg how could you say that, i hope you smash your car, blah blah blah blah"

why dont you blow me....

ScotcH didn't take offence to what I said, so why dont you guys shut up... I sympathized with him what else do you want me to do.... Like i mean shit. at least you are alrgiht. **** the car, the car is not worth shit if you end up going to the hospital. and trust me on this one i know first hand.

Furthermore, I didn't speficy TRACK RACING is bad. I said racing is bad.. that way punk kids that think they know how to drive go out and race on the streets and get into similar accidetns however they end up killing them selves and a few unlucky pedestrians... so **** you, way to read my shit out of context you dumb ****s.

scotch, I hope your new project car works out... roll bars are always a good idea ;).

peace out

Mystikal
08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Furthermore, I didn't speficy TRACK RACING is bad. I said racing is bad.. that way punk kids that think they know how to drive go out and race on the streets and get into similar accidetns however they end up killing them selves and a few unlucky pedestrians... so **** you, way to read my shit out of context you dumb ****s.

What does street racing have to do with what happened here?

sjinto
08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
R.I.P. (to your ride)...

start the parting out list now:P :D

seriously... good thing you're alright tho

sirex
08-11-2004, 05:29 PM
shut up mystikal. youre an idiot. street racing is racing.. I generalized it fool.

shut up.

BigD
08-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I sympathized with him what else do you want me to do....

hhahahahhahaha your car got ownded man..

RIIIIGHT. Laughing at a wrecked member car on a car forum, real smart. If you don't have the balls to apologize, have enough sense to just shut up.

And ScotcH, here's to your pair of big ones to take it like a man and dive right back in. *th-up* *th-up*

BigD
08-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Dude, are you on some remarkable quest to become the official maXbimmer douche?? Do you have any friends left here at all?

shut up mystikal. youre an idiot. street racing is racing.. I generalized it fool.

shut up.

Mystikal
08-11-2004, 07:43 PM

shut up.

I think it's fair to generalize you're a complete moron. You've failed to make sense once in this thread.

jeffrie
08-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
Jeez.. I can't believe how non-chalant everyone in this thread is about what happened to you and your car.

Two things I can say. One is that I'm now thinking twice about tracking my car... since my car IS also my daily driver. And second, I don't know how you got the nerve to get another car and finish the event... if I went through something like that and saw my car in that condition after, I'd be too nervous to drive for a while to come...

I'm glad you're okay and only minor injuries. How fast were you going when the car flipped?

Obviously not an experienced crasher, wrecked 5-6 cars now driving like an idiot myself, not counting the many they were in before the were finaly wrightoffs, You'd be surprised how quickly you learn your limits and how to control when most are out of control,
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" never learn if your afraid to try

Am curious what the next trackcar will be 328is??? with a cage

Jon@Bimmersport
08-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
I think it's fair to generalize you're a complete moron. You've failed to make sense once in this thread.

it aint the only one....

dont worry jay...this kids got issues

ScotcH
08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by jeffrie
Obviously not an experienced crasher, wrecked 5-6 cars now driving like an idiot myself, not counting the many they were in before the were finaly wrightoffs, You'd be surprised how quickly you learn your limits and how to control when most are out of control,

Yeah, so I've been told :) I think I'll stick with a 325, simply because I have a perfectly good drive train. I'm looking for a shell, or a flood car, or something with a blown motor to work on over the winter. Lot's in the US, but not many here in Ontario ... Cage? Mod #1!

Justin e36
08-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by jeffrie

nope, not an experienced crasher at all. My drive-axle snapped on me once while I was going around 120KM/h ... only my rear left tire was spinning when I was accelerating and I was making a fairly sharp left turn while changing lanes too and threw me into a real bad spin... I controlled it with minimal damage... just a little rear bumper damage + m3 diffuser damage and one of my RSM's was killed too. It took me 2-3 days to get my confidence back on the road... well not as much in my driving, as much as confidence in my car.

M3ti Compact
08-12-2004, 11:35 PM
DAMM...

i'm scared to bring my car to the track now...

sorry bout your car

Justin e36
08-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Scotch... I might be able to help you out.

I have a 325i parts car which I'm pulling the engine / drivetrain out of... (to swap into my 318i) it's been in a front end accident and needs a new front bumper / front nose + grills, and passenger side fender. Hood is fine, structure of the car / frame is fine.

Only thing.. it's a sedan, not a coupe. So those body panels off your existing car won't fit w/o some modification.

I don't any body parts off the car... all I want off it is the engine / tranny / exhaust.. and possibly brakes / rotors.

If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Mitch555
08-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Damn!!! That sucks man!!! I'd be FLIPPIN' out if that happened to my car. Sorry to hear bout your loss. But I guarantee your gain is much better out of this. *th-up*

Good luck on the next car!