PDA

View Full Version : LED Interior Lighting (instrument cluster, etc.)

Justin e36
08-03-2004, 11:15 AM
There was a write-up somewhere on the net about soldiering in resistors and LED lights for the interior... I can't find the website now though.. anyone have it bookmarked?

J

ChahalzBMR
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Is this what your looking for?
http://nolimit.to/MYM3/interior_lighting.htm

Justin e36
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
exactly what I've been looking for! ...

going to LED my interior probably next weekend. :D ... going to make any push-buttons/things that move RED... (i.e. window switches, OBC buttons.... indicator on the speedometer, etc.) And anything that is just for information purposes will be blue.. (i.e. numbers on the speedometer, indicators on the foglight switch, headlight switch, climate control, etc.)

J

SkycityBMW
08-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks ChahalzBMR . . .

I have a bunch of burnt out bulbs ! ! ! !

ChahalzBMR
08-03-2004, 12:58 PM
No problem guys! Let us know how it turns out...I still gotta post pics of my car's make-over...just to lazy to post.

Justin e36
08-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Skycity.. that link is for converting your bulbs to LEDs w/ resistors... (soldiering it on)...not just replacing bulbs.

SpoolinS6
08-04-2004, 12:53 AM
im going to do this to my audi !

Slowered318
08-04-2004, 01:28 AM
one problem.. some of the interior guages have orange plastic inserts so unless you make copys of them with clear plastic your gonna have a purple and blue interior.

donno how easy it would be but you could buy some acrlic plastic, cut it to fit where these pieces are and sand it on the exposed side to reflect the light

SpoolinS6
08-04-2004, 01:30 AM
ryans right
i just need to replace some of my bulbs etc ima see what i can do :S

Slowered318
08-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by M_powered
ryans right
i just need to replace some of my bulbs etc ima see what i can do :S

well i know how it can be done.. i just don't have the patience to follow through on it. it would take hours with the dremel tool. much easyer just to replace the led's in the CD deck with red ones :) and use red model paint.

Justin e36
08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
one problem.. some of the interior guages have orange plastic inserts so unless you make copys of them with clear plastic your gonna have a purple and blue interior.

donno how easy it would be but you could buy some acrlic plastic, cut it to fit where these pieces are and sand it on the exposed side to reflect the light

already did this... cost: $1.29 to change all the plastic orange filters.

this is probably one of the easiest mods you can do to update the look of your interior... the e36 orange display is very dim and patchy compared to the e46's. And besides.. I hate orange. :D

I think RED with BLUE accents will look best. (i.e. VW interiors)... more red than blue though... too much blue looks tacky I think.

SkycityBMW
08-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
Skycity.. that link is for converting your bulbs to LEDs w/ resistors... (soldiering it on)...not just replacing bulbs.

yeah . . . but they don't have to work in order for the conversion.
. . . . do they . . . .

Looks like a really nice mod.

I'm gonna try it ! !

Thanks Justin ! !

Justin e36
08-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by SkycityBMW
yeah . . . but they don't have to work in order for the conversion.
. . . . do they . . . .

Looks like a really nice mod.

I'm gonna try it ! !

Thanks Justin ! !

True. I'll let you know how my conversion goes... and if you have any questions.. just gimme a shout and I'll walk you through what I did.

I already know the OBC in an out.. headlight switch... did all my window switches... etc. Just have my Climate Control and Guages left.

ChahalzBMR
08-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Justin - for the headlight switch did you use a relay or just tap into the low beam wires and put a switch inside? I'm asking because I wanna do this mod this weekend. Please let me know the details and any pointers...thanks!!!!

Justin e36
08-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ChahalzBMR
Justin - for the headlight switch did you use a relay or just tap into the low beam wires and put a switch inside? I'm asking because I wanna do this mod this weekend. Please let me know the details and any pointers...thanks!!!!

You mean for the LED conversion? .. I don't see how/why you'd use a relay... or to tap into the low-beam wires.

The existing bulb in the headlight switch is clear, there is an orange filter that is used to change the color. Replace the filter with a piece of blue, red, or whatever color you want transparent plastic and you're good to go.

I have a feeling you're talking about running an independant low-beam on/off switch though....... ?

ChahalzBMR
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
I have a feeling you're talking about running an independant low-beam on/off switch though....... ?
yup...

Justin e36
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ChahalzBMR
yup...

lol.. ok, makes sense.

A relay is optional... all depends on how many amps your switch is rated as. Otherwise you'll blow the switch. Just tap right into the low-beam wires running from the fuse box. / in the wire tray and into the cabin. Not difficult to do at all... maybe a 1.5-2 hour job if you've never done it before to do a clean install with a nicely mounted switch. If you don't have foglights I recommend using the foglight switch to turn on /off the lights.. or get a euro-foglight switch which has the rear foglight button and use that.. so it'll still look stock. :)

Justin e36
08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Chahalz ... here's an install someone else did.. might want to PM him about how he did his wiring.. the rocker switches he used looks good too. http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36709&highlight=angel+switch+beam

ChahalzBMR
08-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Cool...thanks Justin!!!!