PDA

View Full Version : I finally woke up! bye bye RSX hello 2004 330CI M

rendered
07-30-2004, 02:55 AM
hey guys. I'm tired of the acura rsx and I decided to get a new car... I almost bought an slk230 with the amg package, but it sold the same morning I was going to buy it... was it fate? I do believe so.... same day I went to BMW to go test drive the 330ci, and I fell in love.

okay so I'm ready to buy a 330ci... I love the m wheels and skirts, and the short shifter, so I guess I should get the m package.

I could use all the advice I could get! thanks! I'm such a newbie when it comes to bmw...

should I spend the extra $10,000 and get the a 2001 m3?

I enjoy more looks then speed, and I'm not one to need a lot of horsepower to satisfy, I think 225 is more than enough for me...

but anyways what should I be looking for?

I'll be leasing,

exectutive cars? to save some cash? demo's?

is it true not to buy a BMW made on a friday? or is that some myth?

I'd appreciate all the input I could get... which dealership should I be buying at? AutoHaus gave me the best service so far!

what should I be paying? what is dealership cost on a 2004 330ci

non m package, and m package? I love the M package though....

is Navi Worth the money? or should I stick with the Pioneer Avic-N1 navi/dvd pull out?

Thanks for all the input in advance!

BMWF1
07-30-2004, 02:57 AM
is there really a need for navi, unless you drive all over the place, i doubt you will get lost driving from work back to your house, save the 2G's

rendered
07-30-2004, 03:08 AM
good point, but I'm always getting lost, I do a lot of driving on the weekends... look at it this way, the two years that I've owned the rsx, I put over 100,000km on it.

and I'm always getting stuck in traffic and would love to know an alternate route....

the bmw navi isn't worth it then...

with the Pioneer, I can search for restaurants, gas stations of my choice (closest sunoco) places of interest, hotels, entertainment....

okay so that rules out the BMW navi.

thank you bmwf1

golden
07-30-2004, 09:03 AM
if you can swing the m3, do it..

i mean, the 330ci with mtech package is only trying to emulate the m3

m3 looks wwaaay better in my opinion
if your leasing, try and get a demo or a year old car

u'll save tonnes

328power
07-30-2004, 09:07 AM
I would go with the M3....

After driving it for a week your gonna be glad you did.

Im also looking at either a 2001 M3 or a G35 Coupe or corvette c5 maybe a Zo6.... Looking also for a lease...

How much are you looking to spend per month ?

tlaselva
07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
I had both the 330i & E46 M3.

Which car is good for you?

All depends on what you need the car for.

If you need the car for daily use and you do 20K+ a year, I'd say go with the 330i. Car's more comfortable, and more civil, and likely much cheaper to insure, especially if your young.

Now if you are intending on tracking the car once in a while, don't drive daily for an hour or two, don't mind a harsh ride, and can afford the insurance, definitely go with the M3. The M3's performance is in a different league than the 330i.

As I read once, most BMW cars are road cars aspiring to be racing cars. M cars are racing cars aspiring to be road cars.

Good luck with your decision, and post pics once you get her*th-up*

Alezone
07-30-2004, 09:58 AM
kinda off-topic....

why would anyone want to lease? instead of financing? you won't get a nut back after say 2 - 3 years of the leasing term... when big bucks has gone to the dealer and you own NOTHING. Just like renting... it sucks, considering the monthly installment of financing is generally lower than leasing... and you can't do nothing with a lease car or you have to put it back to original... if you decided not to keep the car after the term, if you do, you have to give them another nut... by then you already lost huge buck on interest payment...

I dunno, just kinda confusing

WhadUpp
07-30-2004, 09:59 AM
leasing is good if you own a business.

Alezone
07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by WhadUpp
leasing is good if you own a business.

can you explain it??? :confused:

edit: the only advantage I can see is that he'll probably put on some serious mileage on the car during the period...

btw, have fun with the car *th-up*

WhadUpp
07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
you can write off some of the expense as a car you use for your business purposes

Quack
07-30-2004, 10:06 AM
good choice on buying the bimmer, thank god you didn't get the SLK I would be harassing you if you did, te SLK is one shitty car, nothing but squeeks & rattles, I work at MB so I see all these problems

moerom
07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
The ZHP package (M Sport package) comes with, 235hp and some other goodies, and you should be able to rip off a 0-60 time of 6.0 or under, which is pretty fast.

You're going to love it. However, between the M3 and the 330ci, there is a world of difference. The M3 is a completely different animal and does everything better (except comfort) than the 330ci. If you are more into looks than speed, then I don't think its worth the extra 10g, esp for a used M3 because you never know what the other owner did to the car.

Whichever choice you make, you're going to love it!

328power
07-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by WhadUpp
you can write off some of the expense as a car you use for your business purposes

exactly and you can have a great car for a fraction of the price ( i would go with a lease takeover just incase you dont like it) dont wanna be stuck into a 4 year lease and get sick of the car after a year..

EricE330ci
07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Beware of the early <2002 E46 M3's. Although BMW did admit to excessive engine failures in the early models, the did extend the warrenty on the motor itself....

Even though the M3 is in a different class, it is also much more $$$ to maintain, insure and mod !!!
If you can afford it go for the M3
If you are planning to mod prepare to spend.

M50E30
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Save the 10g's and put that towards a set of Iforged wheels and an aftermarket navagation system.

And you might have a couple of bucks left for combo at McDonalds!

:)

http://www.iforged.com/albums/album02/dai.sized.jpg

http://www.iforged.com/albums/album02/silver3.sized.jpg

http://www.iforged.com/albums/album02/gunmetalcoupe.sized.jpg

EricE330ci
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Just blow all the mod money away on a set of 20" HRE 841R's :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

///Greco540
07-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rendered
with the Pioneer, I can search for restaurants, gas stations of my choice (closest sunoco) places of interest, hotels, entertainment....

You can do the same witht he BMW Navi. IMO aftermarket units don't quite blend in as nicely with the interior. Plus you won't have to worry about someone trying to steal your stereo.

Also you will lose your MID functions, and the possibility of bluetooth to integrate your phone and use hands free while you are driving. There is also the voice recognition that is nice so that you can keep your eyes on the road and just call out commands to the nav unit.

But that's just my opinion...

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 12:37 PM
i'd take an e46 droptop over an m...

///MAC
07-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Quack i didnt know u work at benz, do u drive the bimmer there when u go to work???

rendered
08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
thanks a lot everyone for great advice!

I'm going for the 330ci m performance edition...

probably with the navi if they can find one in the colour I want..

it sucks, I can't get white, or Estroil blue without waiting months and months!

silver grey metallic or jet black, or imola red :(

i can't even decide on a colour? lol

Sunapollo
08-02-2004, 04:54 PM
all nice colors !!
I'd get imola red for m-330ci

rendered
08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
thats true! hmmm hard decision, I need you bmw enthusiats just to come with me before I finalize the deal just to make sure I know what I'm getting into. lol

Understated
08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
i would honestly wait till u get the colour you want...because if you check autotrader...most of the 330ci m's for sale are those colours that you specified you 'wouldn't' have to wait for.

i love estoril blue...but alpine white is also sexy on the e46.

go for what colour you want...don't be afraid to wait for it.

T.Dot_E30
08-03-2004, 12:33 AM
the 330ci with //m package and m 18'' wheels looks really nice in black, but i also see a few of them on the road already......I saw a red in the dealer ship and i liked it, plus u dont see many red e46's.....atleast i dont

Quack
08-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by ///MAC
Quack i didnt know u work at benz, do u drive the bimmer there when u go to work???

sure I drive the bimmer to work, what the hell are they going to do? fire me :D

rendered
08-03-2004, 05:08 AM
cool, red is nice, and so is black... black is so hard to keep clean, and all those swirl marks...

lol with Quack, bimmers are better than Benz's if you ask me. I almost bought an slk... I'm glad I didn't.

crusher
08-03-2004, 05:16 AM
You said you don't mind performance than looks so get the 330Ci it's more practical than the M3..

As for the leasing, its good if you want to change cars so often every 2 years or so and loose money, if you don't mind that then leasing is for you. Otherwise, you can talk to them with BMW OwnerChoice financing which lowers your monthly payments down.. talk to the sales guy he should be able to show you the difference on printout leasing vs financing..

Originally posted by Quack

Clarence.. hows the 99 S500 or 95-97 SL600 .. V12 roadster sounds good hehe

abc12
08-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Quack

what do you do @ Mercedes Benz anyways, i heard they pay really good since there unionized,

Quack
08-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by crusher

Clarence.. hows the 99 S500 or 95-97 SL600 .. V12 roadster sounds good hehe

yeah they are nice, but I rather get the newer ones, sound much more aggressive, come over to my work for a test drive hehehe :D

Originally posted by abc12
what do you do @ Mercedes Benz anyways, i heard they pay really good since there unionized,

I'm a tech there, and yeah they pay very well, they pay better than any other automotive company in Canada I think, and the benefits are killer

abc12
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
yeah i know, i heard that car jockeys there get paid like $25, and get a little extra for every car they wash,

how long have you been a technician there for, do you like it there, i take it ur a certified technician,

Lip
08-03-2004, 03:48 PM
hi renderd,

I was on clubrsx board 2 years ago and I remember you. My user name at clubrsx board was rsx02 if you remember.

Great to see you on a bimmer forum too *wave*

Jon@Bimmersport
08-03-2004, 05:20 PM
mark, u know if u buy a USED 330ci, u can get wheels, body kit..and APR i think turbo kit pushing 430rwhp which will spank every E46 M3 with bolts ons out there?

dutty_mark3
08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by rendered
thanks a lot everyone for great advice!

I'm going for the 330ci m performance edition...

probably with the navi if they can find one in the colour I want..

it sucks, I can't get white, or Estroil blue without waiting months and months!

silver grey metallic or jet black, or imola red :(

i can't even decide on a colour? lol

Like you, I was looking for a specific colour... but ordering meant waiting months, having to have the car come in as a 2005, and therefore losing out on the low rates (minus .5% if you have had a previous account with BMW Finance). But I lucked out and found one sitting around. Wasn't the ZHP that I wanted... but I too was more drawn by the unique colour than an extra 10hp and 10ftlb torque. Besides the M-Sport package otherwise is aesthetically identical to the M-Performance (ZHP) save a few minor differences.

keep looking... and good luck on your search!

rendered
08-04-2004, 05:02 AM
thanks guy for all your support!

I found an Imola red one, m performance package, with Navi, premium package, Harman Kardon and the sunshade, they wanted like $63,000 for it before discount....

but its red. I like it because it catches the eye... just needs some gun metal rims and its finished!

but is there a downside to imola red? does is fade easily, or have a lower resale value? does it wear well or poorly?

then they have a saphire black one too, but its not got everything.... just HK, and metallic paint. and its alacantra cloth... I dunno if I'm crazy about that

these are both ZHP's, thats all thats available.

one thing I noticed are the steering wheels in the ZHP are suede wrapped... I wonder how long they will last?

I just wanna buy a really nice stock car, and leave it the way it is. no modifying...

I don't need to go fast either, but have some power to keep me happy, and looks matters most to me.

imola red is a flashy colour...

right next to it was a silver grey metallic. nice colour but it was kind of boring.

Sunapollo
08-04-2004, 09:16 AM
get the imola red for sure ! it's eye catching and unique. not many people have it. I dont think the paint will fade ...

EricE330ci
08-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey rendered,

It looks like you are leaning towards the red so I say stick with what your first instinct told you.

Red is nice and very rare around the GTA as a ZHP.

I found an Imola red one, m performance package, with Navi, premium package, Harman Kardon and the sunshade, they wanted like $63,000 for it before discount....

$63,000!!!!! WOW
I saw a used 2002 E46 M3 with 30K on the odo that is going for $67,000 and that is with the SMG and Leather options.....
Check Downtown BMW.

I'd say go for a M3 then....

crusher
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
63k woa get the used 02' M3 or better yet used 00' M5

rendered
08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
you guys are right, I should be leasing an m3 instead, except for I drive the car in the winter, and Its my daily driver, and I have the instinct that its too much of a car for that lifestyle. I don't goto the track, and I don't race...

the way I think about it is, the 330ci is much better in the winter with winter tires, and it fast enough to enjoy the driving experience, that I would be happiest with this one.

red is higher priced for insurance? and the m3 is a huge jump in insurance for me, I wouldn't be able to justify it.

Jordan
08-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Whatever you end up choosing, just don't buy a facelifted e46!!

The upsidedown front turn signals (among many other things) look horrible IMO.

rendered
08-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I love the face lifted E46! its perfect for my style. IMO

T.Dot_E30
08-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
Whatever you end up choosing, just don't buy a facelifted e46!!
The upsidedown front turn signals (among many other things) look horrible IMO.

Have you seen an '04. with the LED tails......who cares about the front turn signals, i'd be staring at the tails the whole time.

the plain face lifted e46 dont look that good.....but with the m package, led tails, 18'' Double spoke m parelle wheels it really looks better

moregothanshow
08-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Get the imola! and enjoy!

d12
08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
i'm glad you woke up from rsx's and getting a real car -)

a year ago i took 330ci for a spin too and I knew she is mine, here she is 1 year later =) enjoy your 330

d12
08-05-2004, 11:10 PM
btw, you can pickup a used 2001 330 for about $35k, might wanna think about that..

HIM
08-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
mark, u know if u buy a USED 330ci, u can get wheels, body kit..and APR i think turbo kit pushing 430rwhp which will spank every E46 M3 with bolts ons out there?

ATP Turbo on a 330 makes about 500hp & 500ft/lbs

I have the video of it from e46fanatics