PDA

View Full Version : bimmer engineering?

anfreny
07-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Seems as many of the mag racing times I've seen for bimmers seem quite quick for the power/weight ratio they output.

But what are some realistic 1/4 manual times YOU people experienced at the track with your 323 manuals, and 330 manuals?

I also heard BMW's auto tranny were from GM?
Anyone have any websites? Or can vouch on that?

anfreny
07-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Also, how do you see the reliablity of the fine BMW's?

Say compared to toyota and honda?

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by anfreny
I also heard BMW's auto tranny were from GM?
Anyone have any websites? Or can vouch on that?

True.

The GM 5L40-E transmission is used in these 5-speed RWD vehicles:

BMW 3-Series
BMW 3-Series Sedan and Wagon
BMW 3-Series All Wheel Drive
BMW 5-Series
BMW X5 Sport Utility
BMW Z3 Roadster
Cadillac CTS
OPEL Omega
ROVER Range Rover

This is the gearing ratio used:
First: 3.42
Second: 2.21
Third: 1.60
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.75
Reverse: 3.02

Slowered318
07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
GM makes a decent auto tranny.. but really if your in the market for an automatic why buy a bmw?? but if an auto car is what your looking for.. maybe a trip to mercedes would be in order.

And no. BMW are not as reliable as toyota or honda.. just gotta deal with the repair bills.. and why not, it should cost money to drive a german luxury car.

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 11:51 AM
sorry you were asking about the 4-speed hydra-matic tranny's.. again, also GM tranny's... not sure about exact specs though.

Same auto tranny's that are in Isuzu, Rolls Royce, and military vehicles.

anfreny
07-30-2004, 05:13 PM
well I never knew GM and reliable we're in the same sentence!
I had a malibu before, never knew the tranny in that car is actually known for the bimmer boys, buy now I am informed.

anyways, I was inquiring it more for a friend... I have a Nissan actually.

he and I believe that BMW uses better nicer more high quality parts to make the overall car more elegant...

but I told him that quality also does not come with the reliablity...
I can't really explain it, but in a way I also think, if its better quality, why isn't the reliablity accompanied with it?

I also believe you get what you pay for, since german cars are the most elegant, and you pay quite a bit for parts. Shouldn't the elegance & reliablity come in 1, because in a way I feel it ain't worth just the elegance for that price, WITHout the reliablity.... ???

not to mention insurance and parts, etc

anfreny
07-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Well when you mean COST more, I rather it COST more as in, it has the elegance AND reliablity.... NOT just elegant, and taking it to the shop "often".... and the repair bills COST more...

american cars = not reliable/nor elegant, BUT cheap
jap cars = reliable/moderate elegance, ok price
german cars= soso reliable/extremely elegant, BUT pricey

so which car is = extremely reliable and extremely elegant, but pricey, than???

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 05:26 PM
GM is known for their tranny's.. also used in Rolls Royce and Bentley's.

GM cars still have some issues.. Pontiac is getting much better though. However, their tranny's are up there... some of the best in the business.

BMW reliability I'd put on par with Japanese cars. American cars being much lower. Which really isn't that bad when you look at the complexity of BMW vehicles / electrical systems / etc. compared to many of these other vehicles.

bottom line though.. no matter what the car, if you want it to last, you have to maintain it.

Slowered318
07-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by anfreny
so which car is = extremely reliable and extremely elegant, but pricey, than???

the only thing i can mabe see doing that is a porsche.. all the extreamly elegant and posh cars require more servicing then BMW.

The parts bmw uses are good quality and they fit and function like no others.. but they come at a price and the typical parts like breaks, bushings, window switches and spark plugs don't last any longer.

anfreny
07-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Well, my BMW comgrad don't believe your OPINIONS... even though his own blood is telling him this!

Anyone have cold hard official sites that states it uses a GM tranny AND also the reliablity is less than toyota/honda ???

Slowered318
07-30-2004, 05:44 PM
here is a cold hard truth for you.. my Toyota, made in 1983 started every single day in the ice cold winter, never ever let me down, hit every gear. I beat the piss out of it in -15 degree weather next to no motor oil. My bmw parks if it rains and parks all winter.. why? cause it can't take the abuse! and i don't wanna dish it. but in the end what do you wanna drive? hahha

stretch90
07-30-2004, 05:45 PM
anferny just wants to make bmw look bad cuz he thinks nissan is the best with shitty cars like the altima(ugliest car ever).
and he thinks it's okay if you die while driving a japanese car cuz they're cheaper

anfreny
07-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Well Nissan is inferior. But my issue was GM tranny and the reliablity. He also thinks his 323 stick with moderate driving skills would demolish an auto v6 250hp 2005 altima....

M3ti Compact
07-31-2004, 09:20 AM
You sure it's a GM tranny? I always thought the 5 speed non-overdrive ones (5th gear is 1:1 ratio) were ZF trannys...

BM reliability is on par with Toyota reliability as long as you take care of it. If you abuse a BM, it'd eventually break down. A Toyota can take more abuse before it suffers the same fate. Some cars, like DaimerChrysler products, will suddenly stop functioning even with regular maintenance and woman driving.

WhadUpp
07-31-2004, 10:22 AM
GM trannies in BMW"s, what a shocker. Who knew they are that good?:confused:

saix
08-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Nissan is a horrible car company, dont even get me started with the overhyped skyline.

If you cant take care of a car then dont buy a bmw because its obvious that you cant even take care of yourself.

spoony_prelude
08-01-2004, 06:01 PM
looks doesnt make quality man, if the company focuses more on looks and power quality and endurance wil surely be affected

spoony_prelude
08-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by saix
Nissan is a horrible car company, dont even get me started with the overhyped skyline.

If you cant take care of a car then dont buy a bmw because its obvious that you cant even take care of yourself.

:confused: is there a problem with a skyline? those cars are crazy, i would much prefer one then a ferrari, thats just my opinion, skylines are top level tuner cars, they should get more respect then a ferrari because ferrari only builds fast performance cars, but nissan went out on a limb and built a real machine. RESPECT*th-up*

anfreny
08-02-2004, 02:15 AM
***Well Honda comgrad above...***

Like you said, the Skyline is a tuner car. It's somewhat overhyped because we don't have it here. But the tunning is superior, or equvalent to a Supra turbo. Enough potential...

Ferrari is about heritage, class, and exoticniss. It's not about it running 12s and 13s.... (which aint even that fast)

So apples and oranges here y0...

Nissan was somewhat underrated back than with the 95 maxima. Now all these shift_mycock commericals overhype it a bit. Medicore interiors too....

But my point was stating, a FINE GERMAN car, even with elegance, should COME with just as well reliablity, because its pricey enough... and insurance, parts are expensive.

ALSO. "Stretch" THINKS his moderate 323 manual bimmer can DEMOLISH my brand new 2005 v6 altima auto.

HIS OWN blood is even telling him it uses a GM tranny, and also not as reliable as Toyota/Honda. But he probably thinks you're all fake accounts, and he wants like official proof from BMW or something. Than he will accuse some guy who works for BMW has betrayed it or something. I've shown him various reports from online sites...

: /

anfreny
08-02-2004, 02:28 AM
He also thinks I got ripped off for $26900 with a VQ motor in the altima. Brand new!!! 05

& that I should get a VW jetta vr6/1.8, which is a COMPACT. I told him I need a MIDSIZE, and VW is very unreliable with electrical problems, YET it's not cheap either. But he THINKS since it's GERMAN, it would be superior y0.

Accord, Camry, Mazda6 with a TAURUS engine were more pricey, and a year older, not to mention the loaded 4cyls were not cheap either.

Is Sretch a true BMW man?

Manimillion
08-02-2004, 03:01 AM
I always laugh when people still bring up reliability...

Honda's and Toyota's are reliable... Its just a saying that is stuck to people's mouths like gum... Japanese manufacturors are in the top of the list for recalls... Go figure... It is not 1960's anymore, almost everysingle car off the production line is pretty reliable, unless it is a hyundai.

Go read the honda forums to see how many problems people are having with their cars... Specially the RSX's.

E46
08-02-2004, 07:08 PM
low end japanese cars are your basic cars with the minimum options and features in it. This means that theres less stuff that can go wrong with the car.

A high end European comes fully loaded with all the options imaginable in the auto market. So the more stuff the car has the more stuff that could possibly need fixing.

Justin e36
08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
^^^ agree.

Manimillion
08-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by E46
low end japanese cars are your basic cars with the minimum options and features in it. This means that theres less stuff that can go wrong with the car.

A high end European comes fully loaded with all the options imaginable in the auto market. So the more stuff the car has the more stuff that could possibly need fixing.

Its more like has it been rushed off to the production line, or did they take their time to fix all the glitches and bugs.

Look at the ML's those things are falling apart... American made no wonder :rolleyes:

E46
08-03-2004, 01:49 AM
the ML's were horrid, first couple years were nothing but recalls