PDA

View Full Version : First Performance parts?

saix
07-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi im new to the forums and new to cars :/ I already have a E30 sitting in my drive way waiting for me in a year when I get my license :( since I have a year that means I have a lot of time to save money. I was wondering what exact parts should I save up for? I know I should get a new exhaust system and intake, but which exact ones to be exact? Full name and links would be very greatful. And I would probably save up for a m3 conversion kit after. Do ya'll think I should super charge it or get a turbo kit? Sorry I do not know much about cars but im very intrested so any amount of info or tips would be great appreciated! thank you*wiggle*

saix
07-30-2004, 01:03 AM
also I was wondering if anyone had a link to any nice BMW wheel sites, and in the some videos I saw some bimmers with doves on the wheel, what company is that?*wiggle*

Jordan
07-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Why dont you learn how to drive first. Its a good skill to have, prior to overwhelming power.

Just an idea.

saix
07-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Well yea thats smart but I would jsut like some info, cause you dont want any stupid drivers on the road rite? ;)*wiggle*

///m powered
07-30-2004, 02:37 AM
the doves = hamman

i suggest learning and getting used to your car first as jordan said..

and suspesnion always changes a car dramatically :)

which e30 model is it?

saix
07-30-2004, 03:54 AM
I understand what Jordan is saying, but I dont want to sound bad but all I want is to learn I guess you could say for the time being.

Its a 325i, oh and I went for a ride in it with my mom * she loves the car even tho she has her own -_-;* Anyways when we first started off the car was very jerky and my mom was like oh the engine just needs to warmup. Can someone really tell me what the problem is and whats the problem with my cheap mom?*wiggle*

JFD
07-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Give the kid a break...of course he's gonna learn how to drive...

No reason he can't pursue modifying though...

Besides...I'd hardly call a 325 overwhelming power...

Jordan
07-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by JFD
I'd hardly call a 325 overwhelming power...

Originally posted by saix
Do ya'll think I should super charge it or get a turbo kit?

saix
07-30-2004, 01:31 PM
LOL Jordan, but yea over time I would plan on getting like a M3 conversion kit. And realize guys im not some rich kid on the block, so dont expect me to just buy these parts... I just want to plan everything out.

JFD
07-30-2004, 01:48 PM
An e30 325 with a supercharger is overwhelming power???

What's that about? 250hp?

How times have changed...

Jordan
07-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JFD
An e30 325 with a supercharger is overwhelming power???

What's that about? 250hp?

For someone that just got their licence, 250HP in a realativly light RWD car... yeah that can be overwhelming, and he would likely end up wrecking it quickly.

Blaster.
07-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, thats true, just give the kid some sites, and let him do his own research. I mean, he dose have a year to do so.

JFD
07-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
For someone that just got their licence, 250HP in a realativly light RWD car... yeah that can be overwhelming, and he would likely end up wrecking it quickly.

I guess...but you're thinking with hindsight aren't you?

I know when i was 16 I sure would've sneered at someone who told me 250 was too much for me to handle....

But yes, take jordan's words with a grain of salt...

Jordan
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
I've only been in one accident if that is what you are getting at. Totaled a 96 Jetta GLX due to shitty weather conditions, and a pile of sand in the road.

I've been driving for 6 years, and I've never been at fault in an accident.

But this isn't about me, its about Saix. I already helped him get his head together on AIM ;)

SebSter
07-30-2004, 05:38 PM
I guess you already filled him in on everything, but here's my 2 cents. Ive had my e30 for about a year and a half and have wasted quite some money on it. So, here's what Ive learned and what I would do if I got another one now:

First things first, make sure the car is mechanically sound, that is everything on it runs fine.

Second, beginning to mod, first thing is suspension, close up that nasty wheel gap and get a stiffer ride. Probably a nice coilover set would do the trick.

Third, if its a pre 89, get plastic bumpers or a body kit. I personally dislike the aluminum bumpers so thats the first body mod I would do.

Fourth, a nice set of wheels. I would go for either BBS style or Alpina (multispoke) style rims but thats just my personal taste. Get whichever wheels you like, but make sure your car is lowered first, otherwise it just looks foolish.

Now that your car looks good, you have to decide something. Do you want more show or go:

Go - you have a few choices:

1. Chip + Intake + Exhaust. With a good combination of these maybe you can squeeze out another 20-30 hp from an m20 motor.

2. Turbo/Super charger. A lot of people say that this is a waste on e30s, that its not really worth the time and money. Im no expert so im not too sure why, but im guessing its pretty troublesome and the results just arent worth it.

3. The most popular choice is the m50 engine swap. Its an engine from e36 325i's, if youre lucky you can find one fairly cheap and its not a very complicated swap.

Id choose number 3 if you plan to keep your e30 a while, and number 1 if you dont intend to have it for too long (since number 1 is by far the cheapest).

Now for Show - There's enough body kits / parts for the e30, but you gotta be prepared to dish out some cash.

Body kits: Its really dependent on taste. I would go for either MTech 2 or the rieger infinity front lip on a stock bumper (like Jordan has it) but thats just my tastes.

Headlights: Stock sealed beams are kinda garbage. Depending on how much money you wanna spend, I say either get a simple H1 conversion kit which is a straight plugin. OR if you wanna spend some money (itll be worth it) go for the Euro "Smiley" Ellipsoids which are the best of the best for e30s.

Taillights: The stock ones look good enough for me, but if you need to mod here there are really only two choices. The first (and cheapest) is to find a red seethrough spraypaint and paint the amber part to match the rest of the light. Or there are aftermarket smoked tails, either the ones Jordan has on his car for the early style e30.. or for the later style e30 im not sure who makes them but they are just like stock lights except smoked. Anything else would look out of place on the e30.

Thats pretty much it. Im assuming you'll want a sound system too, but thats really left up to you when it should be done and if you need to know good brands for audio theres a bunch of people here who can help you out.

saix
07-30-2004, 07:40 PM
But this isn't about me, its about Saix. I already helped him get his head together on AIM ;) Jordan gave me some threats and drew pictures of what he would do to me :(

JK Jordan is A.O.K*th-up*

sebster I apprciate the info. I dont really plan on a sound system.

Think this is my 4th time saying this...I wont have these upgrades right away when I get the car or anything, its just something I would like to have planned out you know?*wiggle*

Understated
07-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by saix

I dont really plan on a sound system.

:huh?:

i guess i'm used to most young drivers being audiophiles :D :P

BS87
07-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Find some Mtech 1 Side skirts and Mold them for the early/late cars. I wanna see people rollin around with stock fronts and rears, and Mtech Skirts. :D

JFD
08-03-2004, 03:48 PM
I've only been in one accident if that is what you are getting at. Totaled a 96 Jetta GLX due to shitty weather conditions, and a pile of sand in the road.

I've been driving for 6 years, and I've never been at fault in an accident.

But this isn't about me, its about Saix. I already helped him get his head together on AIM ;)

Oh no, not at all...not saying anything regarding your driving...

Didn't mean anything by that...

Axxe
08-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Yep, Jordan is right. You can get into a lot of trouble with a stock E30, especially in the rain or snow. Light, powerful RWD cars are fun if you know how to drive, but dangereous if you don't.

BMW325BMW
08-21-2004, 09:27 PM
In my most honest and humble opinion make it look good before you make it go fast. And also in my most honest and humble opinon do the m50 swap. If you really got some cash to blow, try and find a motor out of a 540. But first, make your car look good. No sense in going fast if you cant handle the car. Learn how to handle 167hp before you start modding and getting 250hp. My opinion.

greg_84
08-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Man I don't wanna sound like a prick or nothing but i have changed so much since I got my e30, i bought it myself (earned the money) when i was 16. I am now 20, but people saying lower it rims sound system body kit euro lights. sorry but it just sounds so ricey. An mtechII kit is the only body mod, along with a nice paint job, and MAYBE smoked taillights i do already have rims and it is lowered. But when i got My car i wanted the GTS kit 18" rims the oilpan to be hitting curbs my subwoofers to be shaking the car next to me an electric blue painjob, basically randys car with nothing under the hood. so it would have been rice plain and simple. Now I don't know how long I am gonna hold on to my e30 with university tuition and more rust after every winter I will probably run it to the ground, but I don't want to do that, I would like a nice e30 or nice car..period, but right now money priorities are

1. Tuition
2. Keeping my car running (gas, maintenance)
3. Partying - living life

Any money left over is usually spent on something non car related. I buy a lot of books. A lot of Dvds goto concerts. etc.

I guess my point is that unless you really want all this stuff that badly while being a student with a part time job is gonna take dedication to your car and you won't have much money to throw around elsewhere if that's what you want to do good for you but not the choices I would make. Once I am out of school the money I spent on it will pay for itself within a few years and I will be able to afford a lot more for either a new nicer car or upgrading my e30 if it's still alive. so long as I don't move out. Oh BTW, I did pay for my car, but my parents pay insurance and half my tuition and even still I am always strapped for cash, this whole summer partying has seemed to be #1 priority and it's catching up with my stomach, even when I haven't drank in a few days. bah well I think this is the longest message on a message board i've ever posted. Bye now.