PDA

View Full Version : My mtechII kit and its problems>

Jase
07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Well I am going to put these pics up and see what people can se wrong with the kit.I need to get it fitted correct and I know some trimming is required but this is not a bit of trimming. BTW i knw there is a rust hole int he front fender. I am replacing it. I am only interesed in comments about the kit.
Jase

Jase
07-28-2004, 08:59 PM
pic 2

gsbadbmr
07-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...That kit might need some MAJOR work to get it to fit properly.

-gsbadbmr

Jase
07-28-2004, 09:08 PM
pic3

Jase
07-28-2004, 09:12 PM
pic4

qimis
07-28-2004, 09:20 PM
jase, how about we help each others out *th-up* i need to fit mine too

Jase
07-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Here is the things you cant see. Even if i push the bumper all the way in. there is not enough to cover the rebar it will be too long on the sides or a gap on the top. the 1st pic the part that is at the door has a 45 degree piece that goes between the door and fender i cant push it up to the car. the rocker area will not line up to the rocker( unless it is not supposed to be flush) the rear is too long and i paid to have it mold to fit. I dont have the rear bumper on but it is too long aswell. I have the proper rebar and shocks.

well i could add more but this is not a rant ..as of yet

Jordan
07-28-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't see any M-Technic II stuff in that picture. Only a poorly fitting fiberglass reproduction of a M-Technic II kit.

Also, that kit was designed to be fitted on the later body style e30.

Jase
07-28-2004, 09:35 PM
thats why it is a reproduction..I cant get a oem to fit with major mods too. So what exaclty would have been the point of that. spend 2g on a oem kit and refit it..ya ok.. good idea. what a waste of a key stroke Jordan. I am sure in you infinite wisdom and pure bmw knowledge you would have had a better idea. Like get a oem and the 89-91 car..
quit wasting my time.
Jase

Jase
07-28-2004, 09:41 PM
I am sure the actual kit has something on the back of the side caps to mount them.Mine dont..Lets just say i have a 3 hour drive to get it fixed.. another wasted day.
Jase

Eurostyle
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I see a few problems, but the main on is that both the sides and front sit way too low. At the 1/4 panel you have to bring it up high enaugh so that it covers the grove where the molding was, then the skirt will line up with the arch. A customer just got his car back from the shop and it looks fantastic, with the same kit...so its all in the time you spend on it...

jeremy
07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
jase, you mave have to take a couple of inches (or more) out on each end of the re-bar to make the kit sit properely...

Jase
07-28-2004, 10:50 PM
I kinda knew that the kit sitting low would be brought to light. I had it at proper hight. I just tacked it on to show the length. Also to point out the fact that even if i raise it a inch on the sides it is still too low. Plus with the right stuff how is the front too low? even if i cut the rebar it wont add to the hight. I would have to plane the bottom of the rebar and add to the top.

jeremy
07-28-2004, 11:01 PM
the front bumper isnt neccessarily going to sit on the rebar...it's too hard to do this shit threw pics and typing....fitting a kit is alot of slight trimming here and there....ask ryan, how he got his to fit....that kit came from a mold of his...

Jase
07-28-2004, 11:04 PM
the front bumper fits really tight over the rebar.. i know some pics makes it hard but I dont see how i can get it up to the car and raise it without cutting the rebar( along the top or bottom)

Eurostyle
07-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Jase
the front bumper fits really tight over the rebar.. i know some pics makes it hard but I dont see how i can get it up to the car and raise it without cutting the rebar( along the top or bottom)

Easy...play with the shocks...I dont remember right now, but once i had to flip the stock shocks over so the 89 rebar would sit higher...i think it was M3 tho...Also use aluminum brackets bolted to the car (fender and 1/4) to hold the skirt up...it does wonders!!! They are $7-8 at Home Depot...

Jordan
07-28-2004, 11:27 PM
You know there are several companies that sell fiberglass reproduction M-Technic II kits that are already modified to fit the early body e30.

Why you purchased a kit made for later body style e30's is beyond me...

Go ahead and flame me... you're the one with a shody body kit :)

Jase
07-28-2004, 11:32 PM
I was more stating that the kit was molded to fit. Same as bc auto would have sold me. I just didnt need the kick in the nuts while I was down. You had nothing useful to say just a shot ..you got the response you deserved.
Eurostyle:I moved the kit up pretty far. It does not make it line up at the rear arch. As far as the front I spent most of the day trying to move it up. no luck. I didnt spend all this to use L brakets. It would have made no sense to buy rebars if I was only going to use a L braket to fit it. Rebars make the lines smoother without sagging.
Jase

Jordan
07-28-2004, 11:58 PM
I was more stating that the kit was molded to fit. Same as bc auto would have sold me.

If that is what they told you.. and you choose to believe it.. whatever floats your boat man. It's pretty obvious to me the kit you have is made for later body style e30's.

Is it possible whatever company you got it from send you the wrong one? Might want to check into it before you hack that one up, never get it to fit right, and then can't return it.

Jase
07-29-2004, 12:08 AM
I had gotten it and found out exacly what you said..wrong car. So i took it back went back a week later for the remolded sides and rear..paid extra for that.Still doesnt fit..too long. I was going to get the oem one till I found out it was not made for the wider arches. I got a quote on the custom work it would ahve been 3g by the time I had it bought shipped and remoled. Seemed a bit steep.But what kinda price can you put on headaches???
hind sight is 20/20

Slowered318
07-29-2004, 05:01 AM
Jase.. i had the same problem with my BC auto Fiberglass Mtech II kit! and my car is a 91 so go figure??? It took a lot of cutting and adding glass to make it fit perfect and many many hours of labor. Unfortunatly I wasn't the one doing the work so i can't advise of a better way to mount it but i can tell you what i overseen being done.

First my front shocks were semi depressed already due to i don't really wanna know. so they took the front plastic rebar, sliced both ends off about 6 inches in (my idea) :) and glued the kit to the bumper, cut out some holes for the torkx bolts. the lower valance (if you have one) was cut off in a way that the mtech lower valance fit on top glued to the lip.. this closes it up about 1/4 inch. Just cut off what's not structral and what you don't need to re-inforce the kit most of the lower valance will be dead weight. The sides were sliced, cut, patched, glued on and molded it to look right.. major time spent on this! And at the door jam i mounted the skirt kit flush with the origional jam so it looks nice and pretty.. again lots of glue and reinforceing was used. Make shure you leave drain holes in the rockers and allow air to flow through the kit. This will also reduce the chance of it cracking.

Just work with the pieces untill they fit nice, striat and flush. Glue them on with pannel adhesive and mold it in.. don't worry about the wheel arches till last and modify them to make a nice arch around the wheel.. If this is too much for you take it to a very good shop! any half ass place will destroy the kit and make a mess of it.. if you want it done right and not end up with something ugly like Jordan's car :D it's gonna take some big $$$$ ...mine cost me over $1500 JUST to fit and mold the kit. well worth it though!

Lost my in progress pictures but here is some after paint picture.. maybe it will help.. link (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13996&perpage=15&highlight=MTech&pagenumber=1)

Bulldozer
07-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi guys, btw how much does m-tech2 oem bodykit cost?

Jordan
07-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Bulldozer
Hi guys, btw how much does m-tech2 oem bodykit cost?

New? 4-5,000.
Used? $1-1500

Slowered *no-no*

punnzzells
07-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Jordan ...

?... how come all of your posts are very negative and always seem to be attacking what any member is doing with their car?

you should really stop with the derogatory comments... it's getting old... although you may be right in some cases... sometimes some things are better left unsaid..

this is not an attack on you... simply a heads up.

Mike.

qimis
07-30-2004, 09:42 AM
ahhh ... ^^^ here we go again ....

POPCORN (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37506&highlight=playground) !!!! :D

M50E30
07-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Jordan please follow the instructions below!

BMW BMXer
07-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Hmmm, how bout we help Jase fit his kit and not turn this into another everyone vs Jordan thread.

Miguel
07-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
New? 4-5,000.
Used? $1-1500

Slowered *no-no*

Sorry guys but Im with Jordan on this one. Any kit will take a lot of work to be put on correctly BUT you cant argue with the results (See Slwereds car).

But Jordan, why the *no-no* to Slowered???

Jordan
07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by punnzzells
Jordan ...

?... how come all of your posts are very negative and always seem to be attacking what any member is doing with their car?

you should really stop with the derogatory comments... it's getting old... although you may be right in some cases... sometimes some things are better left unsaid..

this is not an attack on you... simply a heads up.

Mike.

Listen **** stick. Why dont you take a couple mintues and read say the last 50 of my posts. You will find the overwhelming majority of them to be VERY helpful and positive. When you are done you can shove your opinion on the matter up your ass.

Jordan
07-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
Jordan, why the *no-no* to Slowered???

Originally posted by Slowered318
If this is too much for you take it to a very good shop! any half ass place will destroy the kit and make a mess of it.. if you want it done right and not end up with something ugly like Jordan's car :D it's gonna take some big $$$$

Fact of the matter being... My bodywork form fits to the car perfectly without being bonded/glued and molded to the car. I can take the front and rear bumpers/valances off the car in about 15 minutes so I can drive up onto a car lift, or should the need arise... be towed.

A GOOD "bodykit" should not need to be molded to the car to fit properly. My bodywork fits flawlessly, and as said.. is quickly removable in case of an emergency.

Now as for what slowered actually thinks of my car, as far as thinking it is attractive or not.. I really do not care. The only people that I have had talk down on how my car looks is Canadians. :confused:

Miguel
07-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
Fact of the matter being... My bodywork form fits to the car perfectly without being bonded/glued and molded to the car. I can take the front and rear bumpers/valances off the car in about 15 minutes so I can drive up onto a car lift, or should the need arise... be towed.

A GOOD "bodykit" should not need to be molded to the car to fit properly. My bodywork fits flawlessly, and as said.. is quickly removable in case of an emergency.

Now as for what slowered actually thinks of my car, as far as thinking it is attractive or not.. I really do not care. The only people that I have had talk down on how my car looks is Canadians. :confused:

Ok, but have you seen Slowered's car in up close & in person?
I have on many occasion's and I believe that it is safe to say that it may just fit BETTER than stock. Yes, trimming and such was involved but the end product is superb. The lines of the car are flawless.
How can you argue with results? your kit may fit perfect as well.. but so does his after all was said and done. How do you hate on perfection?

Slowered318
07-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Jase if you have any further questions about the kit please PM me directly.

Slowered318
07-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Miguel i appreciate it... but save it for something that actually matters. Like the peninsula carpet scammers... i'll give you half of what i get back :)

punnzzells
07-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Jordan,

I think that this body kit won't fit like your great one... because us Canadians are sent different cars becuase we need large fenders/doors in order to fit our opinions in our ass... so we can get them in the car...

blah blah blah... !

maybe, it's every post that just "I" read, but the way you respond to my question and opinion simply shows your lack of intelligence...

I agree with BMW BMXER... let's help Jase..

Jase, are you doing the bodywork yourself?

Mike.

Dubly
07-30-2004, 12:42 PM
for the first time ever I am going to agree with Jordan, kinda. The kit you were sold is a pile of shit. I think you should explore a different option. It is a big waste of money to get that kit on your car.

On the other hand, Jordan does your flawless body include your shit box carbon hood that fits as well as the above mentioned body kit. You car is just another old bmw; and yes we all love old bmw's, but that does mean you need to take dump on everyone learning about old bmw's the hard way. By the way how many years did it take you to get your car to its current state?

Eurostyle
07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dubly
[B]for the first time ever I am going to agree with Jordan, kinda. The kit you were sold is a pile of shit. I think you should explore a different option. It is a big waste of money to get that kit on your car.

Here is where you are wrong, the kit he got is not a pile of shit. I can guarantee that because i built it. And i can show you cars where the kit looks just as good as the original. M-tech is one of the hardest kits to fit, thats why the final product is directly related to the time/money you spend on it.

Jase
07-31-2004, 12:29 AM
I never said my kit was shit. I was showing fitment problems for answers. I could care less if you think my kit is crap.Dont try turning my post into a Jordan is an asshole thread..he knows what he is.Once in a while between bashing posts he actually posts something useful..few and far between.As far as the refrence to canadians...Go fuk yourselves. this should not be or is about where you live. Why waste my time or the effort posting if your not trying to help?. Thanks to the guys with answers to my questions. Also I do not believe i will fit it myself I should leave it to a professional instead of suffering a poor fit.
Jase

Jase
07-31-2004, 12:37 AM
BTW..Jordan,
didnt you say you had to highly mod your pieces to fit?..seems to me that your thought on glue and molding a kit to fit seems a bit off?

jeremy
07-31-2004, 01:03 AM
off topic...

but how does rob get banned and not jordan ?

ps...i bet i get banned from rev now :D

Jase
07-31-2004, 01:35 AM
It dont matter Jer. I just wanted help with my kit. I should have expected shit like that. No biggie. The car wll be sweet when complete.

*th-up*

Jordan
07-31-2004, 02:32 AM
BTW..Jordan,
didnt you say you had to highly mod your pieces to fit?..seems to me that your thought on glue and molding a kit to fit seems a bit off?

Um.. ok right.. Your parts are made for your car.

Mine came off an entirely different car, and weren't even the same freaking shape.

There is a slight difference man...

PS. Why would I ban you Jeremy?

Jase
07-31-2004, 02:36 AM
I was just commenting on the glue and molding..it is not always the end of the world

Jase
08-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Well I found a bodyshop to remold the edges of my kit to fit more snugly. It goes there for paint and the kit next weekend. I will see if I can get them to take some pics of the progress.They are pulling some dents changing the hood trunklid and fender. It should be done a week after that. I really should change the bad engine first.
Jase

DanPinder
08-13-2004, 12:57 AM
My bodywork form fits to the car perfectly without being bonded/glued and molded to the car

I've seen you mention before that there is no bondo on your car.

So what you are saying is that you fit a rear bumper from an e36, moding it to fit, without using any bondo or filler what so over. I can't see any other way to do that, other than use fiberglass and then finish it with filler.

Your door locks and trim are also shaved. Are you saying that there is no bondo there either? I really doubt that. Even if it was welded, there will still be some filler on top of it.

Anyways, almost all fiberglass kits need to be fitted. They are made by hand and the facilities that makes them lack the equipment to trim them to perfectly fit the car.

You can use angle brackets for mounting the front and rear bumpers, so they can be removed at will. The rear bumper will need to be spaced out, just like the 89 plastic bumper.

The only kits that fit flawlessly are ABS plastic kits, because they are almost always CNC cut to the shape of the car.

On another note... (excuse the lack of professionalism) Jordan, you can kiss my Canadian ass.

BS87
08-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Dan, IIRC, Jordan Plastic Welded the rear bumper/diffuser.

DanPinder
08-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Damn, that's pretty slick I have to admit. There is still bondo on the door locks and moulding holes though. lol

Jordan
08-13-2004, 01:33 AM
The door locks and side trim are 98% metal. Welded/plated in. Plastic filler is pretty much unavoidable.

There is nothing wrong with using plastic filler to smooth and perfect a surface when its is ultimately paper thin. What I can't approve of is as said above... people molding a kit to thier car by filling all the seams with Bondo. Thats just ghetto.

lvan
08-13-2004, 02:05 AM
maxbimmer would not be fun without Jordan !:D *th-up*

Jer ,only me 'n' rob got banned.....max politics

DanPinder
08-13-2004, 12:27 PM
What I can't approve of is as said above... people molding a kit to thier car by filling all the seams with Bondo. Thats just ghetto.

That's never been a recommended method to fit fiberglass body kits, but I have seen it done and it looks nasty.

Usually fiberglass kits come with extra material that you need to cut away and trim back so it meets the car flush. Filling the gaps with bondo instead is a horrible idea. I could see it cracking in a short period of time, and it won't look like it meets the car properly.

Jase
08-13-2004, 10:38 PM
The guys that are painting my car and doing the kit are refitting my kit with more fibergalss. As for any rust it is being cut out welded and of course some filler. But I made it clear that I wanted almost no filler as it will crack. The kit will not be full of filler. Nor at anytime did I say they were doing it with a bunch of bondo. I could really care less that it is a replica at this point. It is getting properly fitted and molded. If Jordan dosent see a mtechII who gives a FCUK!. I would expect no less from him. I am sure that if I post pics of the car I will not hear anything good from him about the kit, wheel tire combo or the colour. But I would at least have smoething in common with him. I dont like the same things about his car.
Jase

Jase
08-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Well I got the word from the bodyshop...The kit is off by over 1" on all the panels(even the front!). It was fixed at my cost of course. So far the sides had to be cut and refitted and the rear had to be shortened. I am going to get the pics of the refit work. I guess I will see this friday if the paint and kit turned out. *shiner*

Jase