PDA

View Full Version : Swapped Clusters still have electrical problem!!!!!!

bmdoubleya
07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Well i just swaped clusters... I took the completly working one from the parts car.. Everything worked.. Put it in to my car..

My original cluster lost the gas gauge a few years ago (Just found that there was no bolt for the needle) and shortly after lost RPM tach.. And just recently the temp tach started boucing around and I lost all interior lights but the radio.. I have no dash or cluster lights..or dome lights..

So I put the new one in It looks like I have a working gas tach But it wont light up and the rpm tach still doesn't work..

So what the hell is wrong with my car..??

Someone smashed the window and the whole heat panel with the obc and radio but failed @ there attempt to get my radio.. I say this cause I think the no light problem is do to something behind the obc or radio.. Because the lights stoped working shortly after the break in..

And I have tried obc's from the junk yard with no succsess but have not tried the working one from the parts car yet..

I would really like to have cluster lights again dont care so much about my dash and a working RPM tach would be very cool..

Thanks in advance to the electrical wizards that will know what my problem is

Well at least it looks better.

jeremy
07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
did you pull the needles off to put those white gauges on ? bingo, you probably bent the pin/gear that turns the needle...as for the lighting up, thats someting else

bmdoubleya
07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
No I did not put those in but whoever did bent nothing.. Cause it worked fine in my parts car.. It was a 100% working cluster but it's not 100% in my car....

aascenzi
07-28-2004, 08:03 PM
If you give-up in your quest, would you consider selling those white gauges? Just curious.:huh?:

Blaster.
07-28-2004, 10:56 PM
you should check your fuses

chromius
07-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Maybe the fuses or the sender modules. Also make sure the wires going to the cluster are all good. If you know the cluster is good, then just start tracing the problem back from the wires to the fuses, to the sender...and so on.:)

BMW_M52_M20
07-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Did you take the wheel off to get at the cluster???? You can do it without taking the wheel off...
Jay

bmdoubleya
07-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
Did you take the wheel off to get at the cluster???? You can do it without taking the wheel off...
Jay

I just found that out after but it's not like taking the wheel off was hard...

The Sly
07-31-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by aascenzi
If you give-up in your quest, would you consider selling those white gauges? Just curious.:huh?:

This is White gauges that BobLoblaw and i did when he owned the car..

I still have a soft copy of it...if you want to try and print them ....
It does not look too bad after all...

aascenzi
07-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Sure, let's see them.

everlast
07-31-2004, 09:59 PM
You a 'tec.. you *printed* the guages. That's coooool. Post the file or send it to me, and I'll host it and put the link here. That's an awesome idea.

The Sly
07-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Send me your email and i can send it to you guys

kylebes1
08-01-2004, 10:53 PM
my gauges do not light up at the moment, but it is due to the left signal lights malfunctioning.

bmdoubleya
08-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kylebes1
my gauges do not light up at the moment, but it is due to the left signal lights malfunctioning.
Why is that..

mikee30
08-02-2004, 12:05 AM
If I remember right...the blue connector in the back sends info to the obc, and also controls the rpm. I'd make sure the connector is good...maybe when pulling it out, some wires were disconnected at the connector. This could solve the rpm problem. If it's not the blue, check the yellow...I can't remember which it was when I did this about 3 yearsago.

Next check all wiring, and sender units. It's gotta be one of those. If the OBC isn't getting info from dash, I;d suspect it is the wiring between the obc and dash (blue or yellow connector)

Hope this helps

PS. I've also tried printing the guages...it comes good depending on which paper you use...try a few different ones. I'd go with a stronger paper that has a matte finish. I had access to a plastifier and tried plastifing the guages....it looks bad since some shinyness appears when driving and the sun hits the cluster.

everlast
08-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Here is a link to the soft copy white gauges. I'm going to make ones with litres in the fuel meter and both eta and i RPM ranges, maybe a few other cute things. Anything else I should do? I'll later post the photoshop file up here.

http://325.thecopps.com/Whitedials3.gif

The Sly
08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Great ....i have other one's too like silver, red, eta, etc...