PDA

View Full Version : what parts to replace when I do suspension?

Justin e36
07-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm almost ready to lower my car.
going with m3 struts and Eibach Pro springs.
Will be putting 18's on there w/ 255 back, 235 front.

Already ordered:
- meyle heavy duty shock mounts
- meyle full-metal heavy duty ball joints
- wheel locks

anything else I should get done while doing the suspension?...

GR8 Ride
07-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Poly ball joints? I suspect you're referring to either the lower control arm bushings (front), or rear trailing arm bushings (rear, obviously). Ball joints are almost entirely metal.

There are a huge number of things you can do to the suspension, but you're taking the right steps, and it's easy to do the E36 suspension piece by piece.

Pretty much any bushing that wears out, can be replaced by a poly version (I'd avoid spherical bearings for street use). As they wear out, I'd replace them (including the ones listed above).

The sway bar bushings generally come with a new set of sways, so no point in doing those in advance.

Depending upon the year of your E36, I'd suggest possibly reinforcing the front subframe, and the rear sway bar mounting tabs. Easy enough to do, and generally a pretty cheap fix.

Pat

Justin e36
07-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Poly ball joints? I suspect you're referring to either the lower control arm bushings (front), or rear trailing arm bushings (rear, obviously). Ball joints are almost entirely metal.

Pat

you're right.. my mistake.. they're full metal meyle ball joints.

Justin e36
07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
btw.. it's a 92 e36 ... i think my rear sub frame might be cracked too.. :( ... I hear a clunking sound when I accelerate quick and let off the gas pedal. Either sub frame or rear shock mounts.. no?

ChahalzBMR
07-28-2004, 12:54 PM
I think that might be your rear shock mounts...I have the same problem (noise) and when I did my upgrade, it was all gone.

SkycityBMW
07-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Check rear trailing arm bushing . . . .

I just recieved mine today . . . . I got them from mpact motorsports.

On bimmerforums they have a group buy for bushings and shims for $79.00 usd.

Check it out: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191472&page=1&pp=25

Justin e36
07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
what exactly are the rear trailing arm bushings for?

SkycityBMW
07-28-2004, 05:36 PM
If your car is feeling "loose" going around corners or on acceleration, you may need to replace these bushings.

Mine were shot ! ! ! and I can feel the rear end get loose around corners.

GR8 Ride
07-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
what exactly are the rear trailing arm bushings for?

The *clunk* sound in the rear end is most likely your rear shock mounts, rather than the rear subframe. If the rear subframe cracks, you're in for a bit more agony. Unfortunately, it's a tough thing to check out; basically requires taking apart much of the rear subframe just to inspect it. Kinda ugly when it goes though.

That being said, if you don't drive your car extremely hard (hard launches are the worst thing for it, as far as rear subframe goes...), then it's not something I'd be terribly worried about.

Ok, on to rear trailing arm bushings. They control the side to side motion of the rear trailing arms, and when they wear, you tend to get toe changes in the rear when cornering. A good set of poly or spherical bearings will eliminate the twisting, and prevent toe changes. The result will be that your car will feel more planted in the rear end when cornering. These are relatively cheap; about $100 a pair in poly, and about $70-80 in rubber from BMW.

Pat

Tunerworks
07-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Make sure you have the M3 front upper strut mounts to go with your M3 struts...they are different than the '92 E36 stuff!

I would make sure to replace the rear trailing arm bushings with the '96> M3 version.

Rob

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 11:13 AM
ok... well took my car in for Charlie to take a look. I ran over a 6x6 log of wood at 80km/h.. (yeah a 6x6... thank god my car isn't lowered!) ... the log fell off a pick up trunk in front of me... car was airborn for a bit there...the 92-94 civic behind me wasn't so lucky.. she had her car lowered and the log got shimmed/stuck under her car and she lost control into the guard rail.

Anyway.. had some bad clunking sound at the back of my car whenever I go over a bump...

turns out my shock mounts seem okay... my rear trailing arm bushings are still in great health......... but my rear subframe bushings are shot... and the sub frame is rusting some. $250 from Chuck's to replace my subframe + bushings. Charlie can't do himself since he doesn't he needs a lift.

I'm going to go with the heavy-duty bushings.
Is that a Good price?

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Tunerworks
Make sure you have the M3 front upper strut mounts to go with your M3 struts...they are different than the '92 E36 stuff!

I would make sure to replace the rear trailing arm bushings with the '96> M3 version.

Rob

Thanks.. I didn't know that! .. I'll try to find some w/o going to the stealer...