PDA

View Full Version : Special techniques while driving a manual

azn330i
01-04-2002, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, I have learned to drive standard a few years back, but I only know the basics to driving it. Can you guys name me some special techniques that'll come handy while driving on road or track (explanations provided would be great)?? double de-clutching, heel and toe shifting......etc.

KIRASIR
01-04-2002, 10:31 AM
http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/notebook/shifting/index.html

enjoy
SL

330DTM
01-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Well although I don't drive a manual car daily, from what i've learnt or observed

Heel and toe downshift is good for when you're about to corner a corner rather quickly, and you want to get into the proper gearing as you exit the turn.

I think there's no need to do double clutching anymore now that the cltuches are more advanced.

Umm, I had this web site, which i can't find now, of this M5 owner featuring like 10 videos of him driving manual. Teaching the propery technique, what to do and what not to do. It was a very good site for those wanting to learn how to drive manual! But then i just rememberd you're on dial up :(
hehe

azn330i
01-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM
But then i just rememberd you're on dial up :(
hehe

hey not funny!! :mad: :moon:
56K 4 LIFE.........haha :D

Originally posted by 328DTM
I think there's no need to do double clutching anymore now that the cltuches are more advanced.

yea i figured that out, says that the new cars now all have sychromeshes to deal with it.

so from your replies, heel and toe is the only hard technique that i have to master??

KIRASIR
01-05-2002, 04:03 AM
Well, start with making "heel and toe" your daily driving experience. Do at every traffic light, stop sign, on the hiway when passing. Use it everywhere. It took me about a week of driving to get comfortable with it but now I can't drive any other way. Plus it helps the syncros and the clutch.

*sleep*

thinair
01-07-2002, 02:03 PM
Heel toe driving isn't that hard, it's great to use when downshifting (especially in corners). Your don't get the jerkiness when downshifting, it's all smooth cause the you're not letting the wheels accelerate the engine.

330DTM
01-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Heel toe is very EASY on bmw pedals from how i see they way they're setup!
well, i have no problem doing it on my auto when I use the M mode :P

Alex Mc
01-08-2002, 12:23 PM
yeah rev-matching on downshifts is something every performance driver needs to know, which includes "Heel and toe" which is basically just rev-matching while braking into a corner, but that doesn't mean you don't do it when just downshifting!

just remember smoothness is everything.. speed is just a product

Matthew C Smith
01-08-2002, 12:54 PM
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Matthew C Smith
01-08-2002, 12:55 PM
woops! That's a little something on how to shift the gears to hopefully avoid the 2nd gear over-rev.