PDA

View Full Version : 325is vs. 325 cabrio

BMW_7
07-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Is the cabrio that much heavier than the 325is and does it have LSD? Obviously it's not as rigid as the 325is, but are there any more vital differences?

The reason I'm asking is that my sister is planning on buying a E30 in a couple of months. I'm pretty sure I want her to get a 325is but what would insurance be like for her? She's 17 and it would be her first car.

johnoz
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
OK. Having owned both vehicles, there is not much weight difference.

On the other hand 325is has better suspension set-up and LSD. No convertible to my knowledge has LSD(unless it was an option)

The insurance difference between both cras may not be much. As a matter of a fact my insurance rate went up for a couple bucks when I sold my convertible and bought the 325is.

The convertible, if it is maintaned well and has no electrical top(hard top would also be bonus) is more fun in the summer. Looks nice too. Especially if you have leather M3 seats

The 325 is on the other hand is safe(if you roll over) already has a sunroof, practical handles better.

///Mmm
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
actually my bro(black-bullet) has a 1992 325ic and it has an LSD ,m3 seats and an electric top and it has no prob .also it was equipped from factory with bilstein(sp?) touring shocks and i think stock shocks...well it handles MUCH better then my dads E28.
He bought it with 84K miles on the clock until now it has no probs and he is just going to change the timebelt,water pump and gasket for $450 in the dealer which is good for montreal garages so...its a more fun car then a coupe i think...IMO she a convertible is more fun but is slightly slower. *th-up* *wiggle*

Mystikal
07-27-2004, 05:24 PM
From everything I've read E30 cabrios suck performance wise, with terrible structural rigidity and the added weight. LSD was a stand alone option, but most cabrio owners were just poseurs who didn't even know the damn thing was RWD, let alone what an LSD is.

Tell her to get a 318is, it's one of the best E30's ever made. Much lighter than the 325is (200+lbs) right where it counts, over the front axle. It also gets much better fuel economy, and the engine will really sing when you keep the revs up. It responds well to some simple and even free mods. They were only made in '91 and only 5-speed though, so make sure you teach her to drive stick. :)

johnoz
07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh, if you go with 318is option 91'. Those are with M42 engines and get the profile gasket checked since they are known to be faulty and should be replaced.

'91 318is also has blacked out trim, but not sure about leather recaros and sunroof though.

BMW_7
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
I thought about a E30 318is, someone recommended it to me before I got the E36. I also wished I went with a E30 but at least I got a newer car, so I'm happy with that. I thought that the 325is is faster 0-60 than the measly 8.8 s of the 318.

Oh and it will be stick, I plan on driving it too :)