PDA

View Full Version : New M5 release date

JDub
07-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Won't be here until the 4th quarter of next year.

Toronto Star Article (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1090534211681)
Scroll down to the 2nd article

burnhard88
07-26-2004, 09:17 AM
mmmm... can't wait for next year... will be at the dealership all day staring at those babies... :P...

*uzi*

AMG_POWER
07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by JDub
Won't be here until the 4th quarter of next year.

Toronto Star Article (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1090534211681)
Scroll down to the 2nd article

OWNED...

By then E55 will get a facelift and a new engine.... *shiner*

tifosi
07-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
OWNED...

By then E55 will get a facelift and a new engine.... *shiner*

so?
IMO, E55 might has loads of power/torque, but it doesn't handles, not even in straight lines without help of electronics.

and it seems to me that all AMG did to the E55 was enlarged the 5liter V8 from MB, and put a supercharger on it and calls it a day. but look at how much effort BMW put into the engine, let alone all other mechanical aspect of the car.

IMO, E55AMG is just a more expensive E-klasse, but M5 is a M-series.

the two car might have similar price tag, and power rating. but spirit of E55 and M5 is very very different.

Mercedes-Benz can do as many facelift as they want on E55, as a matter of fact, i don't even care if they put a V12 biturbo engine in it. E55 AMG is the last car i'd considered when i am buying a 4 door sportsedan.

:)

by the way, i probably have to change my car from "05 M5 on order" to "06 M5 on order" *shiner*

SpaOranje
07-26-2004, 12:17 PM
hahahahah it's here this februari :D

Jon@Bimmersport
07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
i agree with the E55 thing....merc is jus upping the power and torque...i got a ride in 1 at full throttle...and the handling SUCKED so much..wtf is so good about having a car tht can go rocket fast but cant handle it in the turns?

rollee
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
the concept behind the m5 is my philosophy.
'a wolf in sheep's clothing'.*wave* *uzi* :D

understated looks without overdressing bells and whistles but roaring power to be unleashed through the entire power bend.
there is even a button to activate the full 507 horses while restraining the car to 400 for daily use. just think about this element of intrigue, so so sweet.*mw*
absolutely the ultimate dream car.:D
i was in bmw m headquarters in munich last year and saw them testing this new m5, if you guys have seen what i did in that facility, the r&d, the relentlous testing and the exact dedication to the very last details on the car, you'll understand this is one hell of a driving machine. it is not just putting a 5L v10 in the chasis with bigger parts and call it a day.
i never forget the faces on those engineers and mechanics, they have this look of seriousness and pride, the m production facility is cleaner than a hospital.*th-up*
:D *uzi* :confused: *shiner*

AMG_POWER
07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
i agree with the E55 thing....merc is jus upping the power and torque...i got a ride in 1 at full throttle...and the handling SUCKED so much..wtf is so good about having a car tht can go rocket fast but cant handle it in the turns?

Explain PLEASE how did it exactly sucked at the turns, more specific information on that lol?:confused:

tifosi
07-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Explain PLEASE how did it exactly sucked at the turns, more specific information on that lol?:confused:

the suspension geometery/design of the E55 AMG pretty much identical to E500, with the only difference in the air suspension stiffness setting. and the ride is stilll very soft regardless. in another word, E55 pretty much handles as good as an E500 with stiffer suspension, and we all know E500 is nowhere close to a sporty car.

AMG never make any road cars (so this automatically exclude CLK GTR) that handles, and i am sure you know that perfectly.

if AMG is indeed going to make an E65 AMG, i am sure it'll be a perfect ego booster for its owner though. :D

AMG_POWER
07-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Dunno i test drove both cars E500 and E55 and from my point of view they are way different.... even if you make E55s suspension on the softest mode it is still pretty harsh... and when you put it in sportII it handles pretty nice, i was entering onramp 407 150+km/h and it felt pretty stable! And when you punch it oh man!!! 516ft of trq from 2200 rpms is pretty fun!!! Alot of people said that it handles as good as e39 m5 some said it's even better. It is pretty fineass everyday car!!! + you can mod the engine too! SOme guys have 570 hp +

No doubt M5 is gonna kick ass too, i would be amazed if it wouldnt, coz it is produced 2 years later than e55, it is very technology advanced... but i learned my lesson with my 745i the more you have computers in the car the more you gonna have problems....i wouldnt buy first year m5, new engine new transmition, and what if the engine will follow the small brother m3 and will go BOOM? I doubt it will tho, thats why it is detuned to 400hp for daily driving....

Botom line, both cars are nice but they was build for different people, some people like pure sports car feeling stick shifts or SMG and some people like cruize around with comfort and a nice punch of torque.... We should wait for the tests that will be intresting....

tifosi
07-26-2004, 07:19 PM
AMG_POWER, it's nice to hear your point of view!:)

few points i want to comment about. I follow the posts on many M5/E55 boards regularly and closely, as i am a potential buyer of this type of car. frankly, i've never encounter anybody that prefer the handling of a E55 over any M5, let it be E39 or older. as a matter of fact, all the people i know that went from E39 M5 to W211 E55 knowing they'll have to compromise handling for sheer straight line acceleration and refinement.

as for first model year car. technically, by the time us North American receieve our car, it'll be second model year car. so hopefully BMW will sort out the bugs by then. should the worst happen, i can always get the car repair under warranty for free, or sell the car if the problems are unrepairable by BMW dealers. remanber the waiting list of the M5 is piling up as we speak, i think it wouldn't be too hard to get rid of the car with much loss.

another interesting point. as i see it, buying AMG is like purchasing computers. you spend big bucks, get the most expensive one, settles it, and totally forget about the last computer you had. everybody are raving about E55 AMG right now, but does anybody remanber the old one? or the one before W210 E55? E55 might be in everyone's lip at the moment, but i am sure everybody will forget about it completely when Mercedes-Benz introduces E65 or CLS55 AMG. as far as i am concern, AMG never has any car that can be considered as classic, some might say 190E EVO, but who else knwo about that car?

M GmbH on the other hand are full of classics. and i am sure i don't have to say more about them.

please don't get me wrong,this isn't yet another AMG bashing post, in fact, i appriciate both M and AMG and Quattro for what they are. but i think overall, i think M5 suits me much more so than E55 or RS6.:)

BMWF1
07-27-2004, 11:38 PM
thats why it is detuned to 400hp for daily driving....

only 400, fck that then, thats not enough :D :D :D

Quack
07-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by tifosi

another interesting point. as i see it, buying AMG is like purchasing computers. you spend big bucks, get the most expensive one, settles it, and totally forget about the last computer you had. everybody are raving about E55 AMG right now, but does anybody remanber the old one? or the one before W210 E55? E55 might be in everyone's lip at the moment, but i am sure everybody will forget about it completely when Mercedes-Benz introduces E65 or CLS55 AMG. as far as i am concern, AMG never has any car that can be considered as classic, some might say 190E EVO, but who else knwo about that car?

very good points tifosi, I would also take a E39 M5 over the newer E55 due to the lack of handling on the E55, I should know I work at MB, but if you ask people about the M5 no one would remember the E34 M5, everyone thinking about either the new E60 or the E39, this happens with all cars, besides the W210 body E55 came out in 97, so the car is pretty damn old

tifosi
07-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Quack
very good points tifosi, I would also take a E39 M5 over the newer E55 due to the lack of handling on the E55, I should know I work at MB, but if you ask people about the M5 no one would remember the E34 M5, everyone thinking about either the new E60 or the E39, this happens with all cars, besides the W210 body E55 came out in 97, so the car is pretty damn old

let's just put it this way.

when you read/see any about the review of M cars, the reviewer will always mention the previous M car. but it is rarely the case for AMG.

tifosi
07-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by BMWF1
only 400, fck that then, thats not enough :D :D :D

the defult from factory will be P400 when start up.

however, there's a Mdrive buttom on the steering wheel. and you can preprogram different combinations of DSC/SMG/Power/EDC, and switch between them using the Mdrive buttom.

and as far as i know, the car remanbers the last Mdrive mode for each key. so you can start with whatever mode you last driven the car in, given you use the same key. just like memory seat function.

so stop COMPLAINING when you don't know your stuff!!!*no-no*

:)

Quack
07-28-2004, 12:53 AM
I see your point, but you also have to understand is that M division has been with BMW much longer and have a very good racing history so they can relate to their older cars, the real first Mercedes owned AMG car was the C36 back in 1996, except for the 1986 190E 2.3 16valve, Mercedes & AMG have a short history together, so it's hard to compare the older AMG cars to newer

tifosi
07-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Quack
I see your point, but you also have to understand is that M division has been with BMW much longer and have a very good racing history so they can relate to their older cars, the real first Mercedes owned AMG car was the C36 back in 1996, except for the 1986 190E 2.3 16valve, Mercedes & AMG have a short history together, so it's hard to compare the older AMG cars to newer

i understand C36 AMG is one of the earliest AMG sold through official Mercedes-Benz dealer chain. but AMG started tunning Mercedes-Benz way way before Daimler-Chrysler bought it , isn't it?

Quack
07-28-2004, 01:04 AM
AMG where only tuning DTM cars for MB, but that was it, the first AMG MB car out for production was the C36, so there isn't much history between them, most people can't even recall most of the AMG line-up because MB didn't make it a big deal about those cars until now

tifosi
07-28-2004, 01:10 AM
also, i am not really a big fan of Mercedes-Benz' marketing strategy either.

when Ferrari made F40, and F50, they didn't make anything even close to them in that period. when Jaguar made XJ220, the XK that came after it looks nothing like it. and that's why the values of cars like this continue to climb many years after its introduction.

people are buying for taste and exclusivity when shopping for ultra expensive cars like this.

and look at SLR and Maybach.

i can't afford a SLR/Maybach, it's alright i can just get a base SLK/S-klasse, they all look the same anyway. years later, everybody drives a car that's identical to SLR and Maybach to common people's eyes. and that's why i predict the value of SLR and Maybach will drop significantly within the next few years.

also, for some reason, all the facelift on AMG models tend to be very significant, something you don't see ///M doing. what would you think if you are the owner of pre 02 CL/S55, and all of a suddent AMG decided to put a supercharger in the car you just bought . that's why i'd never get an AMG if i intend to keep my car for many years.

having said that, if i am only going to get a car right now to drive before i get my M, i don't mind having an AMG at all. : )

Quack
07-28-2004, 01:14 AM
you make lots of good points, you should come out to the meets sometime, you and I can go back and forth with this, my hand is getting tired, nice talking to you :D

tifosi
07-28-2004, 01:54 AM
it's very nice talking to you too, Quack.

SpoolinS6
07-28-2004, 01:59 AM
i think the e55 is a great car but the new m5 will dominate ;)

WhadUpp
07-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Anyone remember the AMG Hammer 200mph car from 85,86,87, remarkable for its time but BMW will always be ahead in balance, handling, driver feel, and overall package.http://www.nelsonautogroup.com/1985_mercedes_benz_amg_hammer.htm