PDA

View Full Version : Gruppe Intake vs Dinan

pip328
07-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Ive been continously reading the boards and have noticed that people are favouring the Gruppe intake rather the Dinan Intake.

What I did was I called a Dinan dealer and we talked for a bit. The guy is a good guy, I've met him several times before, and so on. He brought up an issue with me about hardware changes to a car, especially the engine. The guy believes that any company that sells mods to the engine and does not provide software with it is risky and potentially dangerous to your engine, ie: misfire @ high revs. Which is bad. I know he is a salesman and I was very skeptic when I heard this which is why I'm here. I know that the Gruppe's intake was designed so that it does not require an ECU update. And since BMW computers have been design to adapt, it should work fine and dandy. But how well can it adapt? Is it possibly constrained to some point? if the MAF can pickup more air, why does Dinan even say they require the chip for the intake (other then removing the speed governor)? Money?

Personally, money here is not an issue to me as much as reliance. I rather have a working product with assurance that nothing will damage my car.

The Dinan warranty does sound lucrative, as does the 3.15 differential. Except the way I see how Dinan works is that they make all components somehow rely on each other. Ie: get this, you need that, which means $$$

Any thoughts on this issue?

PS. I do understand that Dinan parts do void BMW warranty and all the fancy fine print.

- Thanks in advance,
Adrian

HIM
07-25-2004, 10:38 PM
I personally don't have the Gruppe M intake but many people do and they all say its the greatest intake... I've never seen a single complaint about it and always seen the Gruppe M intake recommended over Dinan

EricE330ci
07-26-2004, 09:06 AM
PM BlueSky and ask him his thoughts.

I've ran a ECIS for over 2+ years with zero problems and the engine ECU does adopt to the increased intake air. Just make sure to reset the computer.

I've attached a pic of BlueSky's beautiful engine bay.

STALKER
07-26-2004, 10:43 AM
I have Gruppe M and no problems at all. The guy you talked to was selling you some BS about some of the details he was giving you. Both are good intakes and can't go wrong either way.

BMW_M52_M20
07-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Some cars like (VW) from when I worked there is they put an intake on and it blew the maf (vw is really sensitive electronics wise). Chipping with an intake is always a a good idea because you are getting an increased airflow and at the top end of the RPM range, the fuel/air mixture is lean. Now granted I said this, I ran a CAI in my e36 for 150,000kms till I sold it and never had problems. The way the pipe for the intake is bent has to do with the velocity of the airflow as well and how mcuh turbulent air is being thrown throught the intake.

I think with Dinan you they recommend chipping it as well. It is a touchy issue. The worst thing is you will blow the MAF.

Jay

///Greco540
07-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Simply putting on a CAI will not change the A/F ratios more than .5 a point. Software is optional, but easier to sell as gains will be higher and more easily sold that way. BMW factory adaptations should compensate for the extra air enough to avoid any damages. I have dyno proof on a big V8 to prove it. After gaining almost 7rwhp and 9rwtq my A/F ratios only changed by .5 the most at a given rev range.

Quack
07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
hey Greco, are you still going to sell your Gruppe M CAI, remember to PM me if you are

Thanks
Clarence

///Greco540
07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Quack you are still #1 on my list. If all goes according to plan I'll sell in spring when I go shopping for an M5...

hioctane
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Dinan parts void BMW warranty? My father has a 2001 Dinan 3 (330ci) which came from the dealership and all parts are under BMW warranty.

///Greco540
07-27-2004, 10:26 AM
sorry dude, no parts are under BMW warranty. Your dad is stuck going to ONLY Dinan Authorized service centers from now on. BMW has NO arrangement with Dinan. People have a hard time grasping that concept. A simple phone cal to BMW Canada will confirm this little tidbit for you. As dealerships are privately owned the owners make arrangements with Dinan directly, not through BMW. If your dad goes to a non Dinan BMW dealership they can refuse him warranty work.

When you purchase Dinan parts that come with warranty the Dinan warranty matches the BMW warranty because the BMW warranty is now void.

STALKER
07-27-2004, 10:33 AM
very true, Dinan is giving you the warranty on the parts, not BMW.

EricE330ci
07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by hioctane
Dinan parts void BMW warranty? My father has a 2001 Dinan 3 (330ci) which came from the dealership and all parts are under BMW warranty.

Dinan doesn't make it that clear that the warranty is for their parts only and through their dealership network...:confused: *thmbsdwn*

98323IS
07-27-2004, 02:54 PM
That is weird............I was also under the impression about the warranty thing. Just look at BK Motors in Waterloo. They are a BMW dealer and as well an authorized Dinan distributor. What's the deal?? I'd like to know as well, my dad has a dinan exhuast and stage II software on his M3 cab.

///Greco540
07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Taking BK in waterloo as an example, the owner of BK has an agreement with Dinan that warranty work on Dinan replacement parts or parts damaged because of Dinan parts will be claimed through them. If you took the car to another BMW dealer who doesn't have an agreement with Dinan then they can refuse your warranty claim even if the car is 1 month old. So you are stuck going to Dinan authorised places for warranty work to your car. BMW Canada has no affiliation with Dinan. It is up to the individual dealer to come to an arrangement with Dinan even though BMW Canada doesn't approve of it.

hioctane
07-27-2004, 06:22 PM
^^hmm, thanks for the info. He did buy it from BK as they are an authorized Dinan dealer. Eitherway, at least he is covered by warranty if not directly through corporate BMW. Sorry to highjack this thread but, my father has had no problems with BK and Dinan regarding warranty. A little while ago his chip was malfuncting for some reason and BK (Dinan) replaced it with an upgraded chip at no extra cost and it was done very quickly.

STALKER
07-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Just a quick note, Dinan warranty for Dinan parts, the rest of your car is covered under your normal BMW warranty, just in case someone is confused.

pip328
07-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Dinan parts does not void all of BMW warranty. Some parts such as audio or interior are still good.