PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Problems

BMWE30
07-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,
Just got an instrument cluster today from a local auto shop. Its used, with no clear cover. Well after I cleaned it off (carefully with VERY little electronic cleaner, I come to find the Tach and Temp gauges non functional. I know the SI board in it is bad, because the yellow and red lights stay on ALL the time (even key off, and NO green lights light)....and I know that could affect the tach and such, but in the I cluster in my car the SI doesnt work at all and all my gauges function normally. Advice? What should I do? Thanks!

BMWE30
07-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Sorry, forgot to add it's a cluster out of an 87e (which I needed).

toffa182
07-25-2004, 07:20 AM
you probably need to replace the si batteries. measure them first though. they should be (if my memory serves me right) 1.2-1.3 volts each.

BladeRunner
07-25-2004, 08:20 PM
One thing though you didn't hit the Tach or Temp gauges during replacement/installing, if so they may be damaged but check the batteries first.

MatyBMW
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
The problem is a burn in the onboard ciricuitry, not the battery. If you take it apart and look at the back of the circuite board, follow the intigreted circuits from the power source to the solder marks on the two non functional gauges. You will notice a little burn mark along these tracks. You can solder a wire to bypass the burn or bring it to someone who knows how. There are lots of people on this forum that would know how. It may be more cost efficient just to replace it , however there is a circuitry shop on the corner of Jarvis and Esplanade downtown that could fix it.

BMWE30
07-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Well I replaced the SI batteries today. The SI system is now functional and reset sucessfully...and temp gauge now works...but the tach and economy gauge are still inoperable. I dont see any burn marks. Ahh... I'll take out the SI board and get a new cluster tommorow...I put the I one back in. Thanks guys!

kylebes1
07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
any ideas about y my speedo works when it wants? I replaced my SI batteries with Radio shack 700mA ones, and thought that may have something to do with it.

when the speedo decides to work it jumps a couple times than works fine, a little wabbly at low speeds.

will the cluster work properly with no SI board? or with the board there with not batteries?

BMWE30
07-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Speedometer doesn't have an effect on the SI processor such as the tach, but I believe it recieves input from the speedo. I used the radio shack batteries with solder tabs (fun process). Although the SI system works great now, and the temp gauge finally works, I still have no tach or economy gauge! :( HELP!!!

kylebes1
07-26-2004, 04:14 PM
so wtf is wrong with my speedo? I swapped it for one with less miles, and yes it is the proper one.

anyone know how much a new one would cost?