PDA

View Full Version : anyone here know if a DASC will fit on an E30 318is


dasMafia
06-27-2002, 01:38 AM
hello, and yes, this is a little pointed for a "first post"

I am looking at an E30 daily driver and am stuck between a 325i/is and a 318is... the 325 seems to be a little lacking when it comes to effective mods, and I was thinking that possibly the DASC (downing atlanta super charger) would fit on the 318is.

any information on this would be helpful, thanks!

oh, and I love this smilie.... :puke:

KIRASIR
06-27-2002, 09:38 AM
If the memory serves me right, the e30 m42 uses a different kind of belt than e36 m42. Go to www.318ti.net and ask your question there. I am pretty sure there is been a talk about this some time ago.

Serge

dasMafia
06-27-2002, 01:25 PM
thank you!

Autotechnica
06-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
If the memory serves me right, the e30 m42 uses a different kind of belt than e36 m42. Go to www.318ti.net and ask your question there. I am pretty sure there is been a talk about this some time ago.

Serge

While we are on the subject, is anything else about the E30 M42 different compared to the E36 M42? I took the throttle body from the E30 M42 and it looks slightly different. Since Randy helped me bored out the E30 M42 TB I hope the inside butterflies were the same diammeter.

Bryan

Slowered318
06-28-2002, 02:41 AM
I called Downing Atlanta about the supercharger and my E30 318is and it won't bolt up.. i would have to modify it and from what he was saying it would be a pain in the ass.

The M42 in the E30 has a completely different intake manifold and belt setup compaired to the E36 M42 ..In my opinion the E30 style intake looks like it would work better but the E36 style

Dasmafia - I haven't found any really effective mods for my 318is other then exhaust and performance chip, I think the 325 has a lot more support as far as aftermarket performance parts go. So if you want to build an E30 i would suggest going with the 325 or even better a M50 engine conversion

Ryan

Autotechnica
06-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318

The M42 in the E30 has a completely different intake manifold and belt setup compaired to the E36 M42 ..In my opinion the E30 style intake looks like it would work better but the E36 style
Ryan

Are you sure about that intake manifold? It looks identical to me. Anyways, the DASC replaces your intake manifold w/ the Eaton cast iron one so it really wouldn't matter which intake manifold you had. The only difference is possibly the old M42 engines did not have the thermoplastic intake manifolds? If thats true I want to get a hold of one of those so I can bore it bigger.

Bryan

KIRASIR
06-28-2002, 11:24 AM
DASC replaces only the UPPER intake manifold with the DA "adapter" that bolts on to the blower. I just looked at the ETK and e30 m42 manifold is COMPLETELY different than e36 m42.

Serge

Originally posted by MTRD


Are you sure about that intake manifold? It looks identical to me. Anyways, the DASC replaces your intake manifold w/ the Eaton cast iron one so it really wouldn't matter which intake manifold you had. The only difference is possibly the old M42 engines did not have the thermoplastic intake manifolds? If thats true I want to get a hold of one of those so I can bore it bigger.

Bryan

dasMafia
06-28-2002, 12:30 PM
thanks again guys.... anyone have any idea the cost of an M50b25 or b28 conversion would be... just the parts???

and a good source for used engines.

thanks again, and sorry if I seem a little stoopid.... my bimmer knowledge is mostly limited to the E36 , E36/7 and E46...