PDA

View Full Version : cam and head work = frustration


Hartge H26
07-21-2004, 11:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently put in a 288 catacam and head work. My engine was originally a Hartge H26 but the cam was wiped and the egine was a little tired, as the head was already worked by Hartge, is was more of a clean up and and not a crazy port job.


PROBLEM: the car doesn't seem to idle properly, when I come to a stop it drop to the point is almost stalls, and the idle seem really rough(like a mustang with engine work), the car was running lean, so we adjusted the AFM so it gives more fuel and I put a O2 sensor from a 3.5 so it would run richer. The plugs aren't white anymore but the idel is driving me nuts. I even bought a new idle control motor just in case.

Do I have too much cam, if so how is it hurting performance, the car seems to go well, I do 195km in 4th and top speed so far is 230-235KM.
I was doing those numbers before when I had a cam that was completly wiped and a head that was in need of some TLC.

ANY IDEAS AND COMMENTS WELCOMED.

Thanks

bmdoubleya
07-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Hartge H26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently put in a 288 catacam and head work. My engine was originally a Hartge H26 but the cam was wiped and the egine was a little tired, as the head was already worked by Hartge, is was more of a clean up and and not a crazy port job.


PROBLEM: the car doesn't seem to idle properly, when I come to a stop it drop to the point is almost stalls, and the idle seem really rough(like a mustang with engine work), the car was running lean, so we adjusted the AFM so it gives more fuel and I put a O2 sensor from a 3.5 so it would run richer. The plugs aren't white anymore but the idel is driving me nuts. I even bought a new idle control motor just in case.

Do I have too much cam, if so how is it hurting performance, the car seems to go well, I do 195km in 4th and top speed so far is 230-235KM.
I was doing those numbers before when I had a cam that was completly wiped and a head that was in need of some TLC.

ANY IDEAS AND COMMENTS WELCOMED.

Thanks

I have a 288 schrick your idle is normal it sounds like an 8 and shakes the car like crazy.. mine almost stalls sometimes but not very much but I like it..

How did you adjust the AFM??

Do you have bigger injectors?

What other mods do you have done?

Is a 535 O2 sensor a direct fit?

Hartge H26
07-21-2004, 11:59 PM
to adjust the AFm.. take off the black top, 1st mark the plastic disk so you know wht the original setting is because the round disk is all marked with 500 on it. Moved the platic toothed gear left for richer, right for leaner, I have mine moved to the left by 2 teeth. It doesn't sound like much but it got rid of the hessitation during the RPM's when I floored it.
The 535 O2 is a direct fit.

NickP
07-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Maybe you have a vacuum leak?

NickP
07-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Also 288 is an extremely aggresive cam, I wouldn't expect the idle to be like stock

everlast
07-22-2004, 03:35 PM
If you want to smooth out the idle at the cost of slight performance, you could always look into putting a dual mass flywheel. They were there to smooth out the idle on the eta. I don't know how much that would help tho.

I'd just boost up the idle a tad and enjoy the shaky rumble fun.

Skunk#1
07-22-2004, 03:37 PM
dudes you guys are crazy! you cant put that cam in a car and expect it to idle like normal! that cam will idle like shiznit. that cam is for anything past 4000 rpms. that is the reason i never wanted it till i decided on rebuilding the car for track or weekend canyon craving. there is no way to solve the idle prob, but you can go more with the engine, get an opened up intake and headers. stahl(i think that is how its spelled) makes some goood ones. you need air flow for that cam, i bet the gains from that are bad ass. get bigger valves also, from vac? they are 1mm bigger i think you can get 2mm over but not sure.

The Sly
07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by everlast
If you want to smooth out the idle at the cost of slight performance, you could always look into putting a dual mass flywheel. They were there to smooth out the idle on the eta. I don't know how much that would help tho.

I'd just boost up the idle a tad and enjoy the shaky rumble fun.

There is no adjustments for the idle on a E30 ...The only way is with the idle control unit itself....You have to be able to pry it then twist one direction or the other and that will change the idle on the car....Or turn on the a/c switch.

burtonownz
07-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't expect such an aggressive camshaft to idle really well, either. Basically, the overlap of the exhaust and intake ports causes it to stumble at idle but at higher rpms, the engine should run much, much better.

Hartge H26
07-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I understand the idle won't be smooth, I was more concerned about it almost stalling at times, it comes to the point that the acc lights come on somethimes but doesn't completly stall.
I was just wondering if I was doing internal harm to the motor.

Now that it's pretty much been established that the idle is what to be expected with a 288 cam, I need to go faster(don't we all). I was thinking of a 75 shot.... THE SLY what's your take on it.

Skunk#1
07-23-2004, 07:57 PM
no nitrous, it is expensive, has the same affect of being addicted to crack. you will want more and more and more. the only harm you might do is foul the plugs, not enough spark when its about to stall, wont burn the mixture, just dont stop........

The Sly
07-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Hartge H26
I understand the idle won't be smooth, I was more concerned about it almost stalling at times, it comes to the point that the acc lights come on somethimes but doesn't completly stall.
I was just wondering if I was doing internal harm to the motor.

Now that it's pretty much been established that the idle is what to be expected with a 288 cam, I need to go faster(don't we all). I was thinking of a 75 shot.... THE SLY what's your take on it.
75 shot is is great for our engines..
I started with a 60 shot and then got up to almost 100.

I have to say 100 is too much for the stock ignition and 75 shot is the max for a stock engine with stock ignition and stock chip + you have to be careful with the motor mounts too....they break

I know that it is easy to increase the jets and see how well the engine will take it...but don't do it....i say it from experience...

I broke piston rings with a 100 shot

If you are going to use NOS, i suggest getting a fuel pressure cutoff switch for the NOS and make sure you get the NOS on at over 2500rpm at full throttle..

And yes it is addictive cause it is there when needed....
I used to get a bottle every 2 to 3 weeks..
But what a Rush...
ANd then if decide to sell the car or whatever..Just remove the system..It is that simple and easy .

Hartge H26
07-24-2004, 12:13 AM
I was looking at the Zex kit that only opened at full throttle,didn't seem like it was too difficult, even with the remote opener.

Anybody kn ow what the part number is for the E30 BMW. Zex use to have a number now its just d-bmwkit.

2-3 weeks for a refil isn't bad my brother use to need a refill after 3-4 days on his mustang

jimmyd1
07-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Did you have the head p&p? Was there a three angle valve job done. If so, with the increased cam duration of approx 20 degrees and additional lift of almost 3.5 mm over stock, you have increased the volume of air which the combustion chamber can and the velocity at which air can travel into the combustion chamber. My suggestion would be to add more fuel, a hotter spark and more air to compensate for the increased lift and duration. If you want to get technical, you could run a stand alone system with a MAF, 19 to 24lb injectors and a rrfpr. I would suggest doing the five series AFM swap, an adjustable fpr and a 19 to 24 lb injector, as well as a tuned performance chip. These mods, collectively will cost you between $500 and $700, if not less and will complement not only the cam and the head work, but will improve your top end performance.

paul christians
07-25-2004, 10:13 PM
..........look at the list on the 304 cam...!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkD
07-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Hartge H26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROBLEM: the car doesn't seem to idle properly, when I come to a stop it drop to the point is almost stalls, and the idle seem really rough(like a mustang with engine work), the car was running lean, so we adjusted the AFM so it gives more fuel and I put a O2 sensor from a 3.5 so it would run richer. The plugs aren't white anymore but the idel is driving me nuts. I even bought a new idle control motor just in case.
Thanks

An O2 sensor from a bigger motor won't do anything different, all BMW sensors haver the same output characteristics. (all narrowband sensors are pretty much the same)

Fooling around with the AFM spring tension is a bad idea. You will indirectly change the timing when you adjust the AFM. I can make you a chip that will richen the mixture, that's the proper way to do it.

MarkD