PDA

View Full Version : What does this part in the Airbox do??

bmdoubleya
07-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Pics in the link..

http://www.e30tech.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1645

Please read I just replaced the cone with the airbox.. But removed this snorkle inside the box>> GOOD or BAD??

Mystikal
07-21-2004, 10:28 PM
When you remove that, all of the air gets sucked into one little 1" line on the filter, you're killing performance right now, and the filter is going to get ruined pretty quickly. Put it back in.

Jordan
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Who exactly it was eludes me, but someone on E3S did a series of dragstrip runs with and without it in place.

He was consistantly faster with it in place.

Put it back in dumbass...

bmdoubleya
07-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
Who exactly it was eludes me, but someone on E3S did a series of dragstrip runs with and without it in place.

Are these people wrong:confused:

:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234309 :puke:

Spaz
07-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jordan

jordan it's actually on r3vif i recall correctly, and its true, he did run faster with it in.

Jordan
07-22-2004, 12:23 AM
It might also reduce sound, but it builds velocity.

Your car will perform better with it in.

everlast
07-22-2004, 04:41 AM
Does it just stop resonation? And who says it 'builds velocity?' Is that a real fact or one of those factoids heard by someone who knew someone who heard something...

My e39 has a box attached that just reduces sound. I wonder if bavarian just designed the box to stop air resonations which would be common at a rapid inflow of air. Resonations don't hurt airflow, but a 'resonator' which removes them, does. Offically, a helmholtz resonator is a volume of air which naturally vibrates at a set freq range, and designers put in one that resonates at the freq that they want to reduce the sound at. The effect on air is that if the air resonates at that freqency, there is a push back effect on the air flow to some small degree.

So, if its fer noise, take it out. If its for space for something cool (as I recall you didn't have a lot of room up there) take it out too.. And if yer car is slower cuz of it.. uh.. put it back. :) You drag your car.. try it one night 4 runs, 2 each way and settle it! :D

Mystikal
07-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry, but you're actually taking what people say on the bfc E30 section as fact? Good Lord, people do that and still have functioning cars?

chromius
07-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I would say leave it in...It it not nessesairly for reducing sound, it is a similar concept to porting and polishing a head...it reduces intake air turbulance, hence in a sense increasing intake velocity, especially since you have a cam, you want to keep your intake velocity up, because when you get your cam overlap, and the piston starts up on the compression stroke its still sucking in air, and the higher your intake velocity the more air gets in before the valve has to close.... The square hole on the afm is a real performance killer, unless you have something to smooth out the flow of air past the sharp edges. Hense why the horn is there. :)

Although I cant really say anything because I have a cone intake, but its because I like the look and sound:D

bmdoubleya
07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
I would say leave it in...It it not nessesairly for reducing sound, it is a similar concept to porting and polishing a head...it reduces intake air turbulance, hence in a sense increasing intake velocity, especially since you have a cam, you want to keep your intake velocity up, because when you get your cam overlap, and the piston starts up on the compression stroke its still sucking in air, and the higher your intake velocity the more air gets in before the valve has to close.... The square hole on the afm is a real performance killer, unless you have something to smooth out the flow of air past the sharp edges. Hense why the horn is there. :)

Although I cant really say anything because I have a cone intake, but its because I like the look and sound:D

Good call..*th-up*

Slowered318
07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
the 318's have a shorter snorkle in the air box.. it's half the lenght and he same diameter.. so if anything try a 318is snorkle and see how it runs

everlast
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Air velocity != air volume guys. Two very different things.

chromius
07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by everlast
Air velocity != air volume guys. Two very different things.

Normaly it dosent, however in the case of a high torque, long intake runner m20 engine it does. When velocity reaches its maximum in the intake manifold runners, and the valve stays open during overlap, the speed of the intake gases directly effects the volume of air in the cylinder.:)

everlast
07-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Standing. Corrected. :)