PDA

View Full Version : E30 Rice

bimmerdreamer
07-21-2004, 01:13 PM
It seems lately the biggest flame you can say about someones car is that it is 'Rice', lately the term is soo overused that it seems anythings could be called rice. Case in point; in the headliner thread Jeremy's car was labled as rice. Now although this car has a spoiler how can it be called rice when it has a S50 w/ enough power to make that spoiler useful. the unpainted aluminum is not my taste but I dont think that makes the car rice. My car has japanese racing rims, is it rice for having strong yet lightweight wheels just because they arent german.
Now I know everyone has diferent oppinions on E30 Rice (especially the forums 'simon cowell') So I just wanted to make a thread where we can all vent on what is and isnt "rice"
Im sure jordan will be the most longwinded so maybe we should let him go first and get that over with.

bimmerdreamer
07-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh and on my rice list: spoilers which are higher/wider than the car (any rear spoiler on a FWD car), stickers which have no meaning (or no sponsors), any exhaust tip bigger than your fist..........

bimmerdreamer
07-21-2004, 01:25 PM
My appologize for the triple post but I had to post this pic I had, Porsche GT3 w/ my wheels http://www.kobayashiganka.co.jp/gt3/readers/kuma/ENKEI_1.jpg

Mystikal
07-21-2004, 02:20 PM
To me the term can be thrown at E30s A LOT more than other cars, simply because it's a car from the 80's, and parts are normally associated with newer bubble cars just don't look right at all. Things like roof spoilers, big wings, fake 2-piece wheels, hood scoops, big swoopy kits, blue lights, altezzas, coloured tint, etc. all look pretty out of place on an E30, and seem to be umbrella'd under the term "rice". These cars should be "era-correct" to a lot of the enthusiasts.

BTW I don't mind your wheels, when function takes a precedence over form I'm never one to complain. Hell look at me, I'm selling my 16" BBS wheels because I hate the way they slow the car down comapred to my measly 14" basketweaves. I just can't justify intentionally hurting the functionality of a car, whose primary purpose is to be driven.

MR 325
07-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Rice is shopping cart wings, altezza lights, blue bulbs, UGLY BODYKITS that don't suit the E30, coffee can mufflers, unneeded gauges, thinking an automatic is cool, neon lights, ANYTHING APC, etc.

BimmerKris
07-21-2004, 05:02 PM
to me rice is something you eat. Not the way a car looks. Who cares if someone puts shit on there vehical for a porpus or not. Gauges that don't have a purpose or wings on a front wheel drive car, well what about sticking a front rieger (or any other front clip ) on your e30. That most likely does not serve a purpose but you like that way it looks. So that would make you just as "rice" as a CRX with an aluminum wing on the roof. i used to have dingle balls insde my old 318, they did aything but serve a purpose, but they were fun, I didn't care. It should not bother any of you what someone else does to there, unless there not taking care of it. Then shit should fly. But other wise why does it matter what "rice" is?

I have never understood this

djtbster
07-21-2004, 05:21 PM
hey automatics are cool *wiggle*

bimmerdreamer
07-21-2004, 06:00 PM
why does it matter what rice is? It doesnt matter I just wanted to have a place to vent about "rice". Today I saw a 80's Celica with the BIGGEST exhaust I have ever seen, this thing would make a coffee can gelous. The paint was rusting away and they had chrome/led washer nozzles! And to top it off some target chrome spinners!!! Thank 2002bmw.com for these molested e30's.. http://www.2002bmw.com/bmw-rice/bmw11.jpghttp://www.2002bmw.com/bmw-rice/bmw3_2fdsaf.jpg http://www.2002bmw.com/bmw-rice/d02.jpg http://www.2002bmw.com/bmw-rice/mseries237.jpg

Blaster.
07-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Autcaly that white cabrio is authentic german. You should know, you have the Rieger GTS kit too! That one is just the version for the Cabrio *wiggle*
And that green one dosent have any japanese parts on it either, just a bunch of horible parts lol. Reminds me of an alien ship. Such a waste of an M3!!!

Now thats rice! :puke:

but youll have to admit, their pretty crafty since they made all of that out of wood. But they shouldnt be making kits, more like dog houses or something...
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/ugly_rice.jpg

Jordan
07-21-2004, 07:32 PM
The white cabrio isnt a GTS kit, it is the Rieger Genesis kit. The kit costs more new then most of your cars are worth. I like some aspects of the kit, but mostly I dislike it.

The green e30 is not a M3.

IMO I define rice as distastefully styled, may or may not be in a asian car way. Yes a car is more ricy when it is all show no go, but cars with shitloads of power can be riced out as well.

Blaster.
07-21-2004, 07:47 PM
The green one is an M3 cauz of the front apron, wide fenders, roof mounted antenna, and big rear spoiler. Could be something elce, sure looks like an M3!

07-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Cars with l.e.d washer nozzles and exhaust tips.
Cars with 1 1/2 exhaust with 3'' muffler.
L.E.D floor matts/Steering wheels. 4 tweeter on the A-piller.
Just crap like that.

Pretty much all the car's in F&F :)

Like somebody already said, our cars can turn rice real fast because our body style.

jeremy
07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Blaster.
The green one is an M3 cauz of the front apron, wide fenders, roof mounted antenna, and big rear spoiler. Could be something elce, sure looks like an M3!

that green one is NOT a e30 m3

yellow325ix
07-21-2004, 10:23 PM

Looks too far back to be a factory M3 antenna.

Jordan
07-21-2004, 10:33 PM

I'll bet your life its not a M3. Care to take the bet?

MR 325
07-22-2004, 03:44 AM
;)

07-22-2004, 04:26 AM
lol, you're just bumping this up because you wanna see some hateing go on.. :P

toffa182
07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
the green one is not an M3, because the trunklid is too low.

Blaster.
07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Oh, hahahah, didnt see the other pix :D

burtonownz
07-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I think one of the most understated "ricey" things to do to a BMW is to swap badges. I see many cars that have had their original model numbers changed simply because the owner wanted to or because the car now has different displacement.

Another case, worse in my mind, is when BMW owners place "M" badges on cars that don't belong to the "M" classes.

It may be just me, but I cannot understand why someone would want to label their car as something it's not.

Blaster.
07-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Well auctaly some cars come off the lot with ///M badges on their cars. They might not be part of the M series, but they MAY (im not sure on this) have some M Technic parts, i dont know what the deal is with that,and why some cars have M badges but ive seen plenty of E30's come stock with them.

07-23-2004, 05:37 AM
I've seen acouple 325ei and 325esis badges. lol

MR 325
07-23-2004, 06:50 AM
http://www.jimmy540i.com/moron8.jpg

Mystikal
07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by burtonownz
I see many cars that have had their original model numbers changed simply because the owner wanted to or because the car now has different displacement.

It may be just me, but I cannot understand why someone would want to label their car as something it's not.

So if I build one kick ass M50B30 and change my inscription to 330is it's rice? That's not saying it's something it's not at all, what the hell are you talking about?

chromius
07-23-2004, 09:34 AM
^^^ya I agree, if the badge is signifying something thats in the car, then there is nothing wrong with it, such if someone stroked a 325 to 2.8 liters, then they would have the right to put 328 badge....cuz its in the car. just my 2 cents.

burtonownz
07-23-2004, 02:02 PM
People can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want to. But, owning a 318 and then changing the badge on it because the engine has been changed IS calling it something it's not. The badge doesn't just signify the engine displacement but the car in it's entirety. So, for example, if someone did change the displacement on a 325 from 2.5 to 2.8 litres and "re-badged" it as a 328, the car won't ever be a 328 whether or not it shares most or all of the parts that comes in an original 328.

That's not saying it's something it's not at all, what the hell are you talking about?

What the hell I'm talking about is naming a car something it will not ever be. If someone did build "one kick ass M50B30" then it the car would be a BMW with "one kick ass M50B30" not a 330is.

Well auctaly some cars come off the lot with ///M badges on their cars...ive seen plenty of E30's come stock with them. I'm not quite sure why cars would come stock off the lot with "M" badges when they don't belong to the series especially when, way back then, the "M" meant that a car belonged the "M" series' i.e. M1, M3, and M5.

I like the discussion so far...

Mystikal
07-23-2004, 02:09 PM
People can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want to. But, owning a 318 and then changing the badge on it because the engine has been changed IS calling it something it's not. The badge doesn't just signify the engine displacement but the car in it's entirety. So, for example, if someone did change the displacement on a 325 from 2.5 to 2.8 litres and "re-badged" it as a 328, the car won't ever be a 328 whether or not it shares most or all of the parts that comes in an original 328.

Besides the engine, most BMW series really don't have much that different between models. And if you're talking about "well this one doesn't have climate control" then I'm really wasting my time. Besides, most guys with engine swaps wouldn't be stupid enough to run stock brakes and suspension anyways, so what exactly are you looking for?

I'm not quite sure why cars would come stock off the lot with "M" badges when they don't belong to the series especially when, way back then, the "M" meant that a car belonged the "M" series' i.e. M3 and M5.

My car has multiple M badges on it, stock. Have you ever heard of the M540i? The 330Ci, 328is, 320Ci M-Sport? BMW makes lots of models that use the M cachet to boost sales, and they have been doing it since the mid-80's.

burtonownz
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I stand corrected about the "M" badge issue because I was not aware of the other models. But, most I speak of are the 318's, 325's, and various other E30's where people just throw the "M" badge on the front.

Besides the engine, most BMW series really don't have much that different between models.

The difference is that they're "badging" it as something it isn't. If a 325 is bought, it always will be a 325 and not something else.

Just wondering, I can't be the only one with this viewpoint can I?

chromius
07-23-2004, 02:29 PM
I stand corrected about the "M" badge issue because I was not aware of the other models. But, most I speak of are the 318's, 325's, and various other E30's where people just throw the "M" badge on the front.

The difference is that they're "badging" it as something it isn't. If a 325 is bought, it always will be a 325 and not something else.

Its not like you are badging a 3 series a 7 series, its just changing the last two numbers which 99.9% of the time represent displacement, therefore if you change the displacement of your engine, its no longer the car you bought, its now a completely different car...so whats wrong with badging it with what it has become?:)

Mystikal
07-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Actually, my car, a regular 325is, has the M badges and stripes. Look at any E30 325is and you'll find them. I'm also not talking about M badges at all if you noticed, I'm speaking strictly on engine displacement.

To me, what makes a 325 a 325 is the engine size. If someone installs a 3.0, they have all the right in my mind to change the badge to 330 if they feel like it. They're not lying at all, it IS a three point oh.

I see what you're trying to say, but my logic sees it differently. It's just 2 viewpoints anyways, no right or wrong.

BimmerKris
07-23-2004, 03:06 PM
i did read a defenition somewhere, i prob could never find it again, that stated.
3=series of the car
2=liters of displacement
5=tenths of liters of displacement

it had nothing to do with options, or body style

it's not always the case eg. the e block 325's and 1.9L 318s, but the motor is the main reason for the name of the car. So by putting a 3.0L motor in it, is tecnicly changing the car

other wise it would just be a BMW 3 series, with a choice of motors and there would be no badge at all

burtonownz
07-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I see that viewpoint a little better now. And, the last few arguments (Mystikal, chromius_e30) have been better than anything of which I can think to retort. I guess it's two different viewpoints using different logic and I can't seem to make the short jump over to your ship, heh. :)

vertakul
07-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I think that orange car looks pretty nice.. am i the only one?

MR 325
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes, you are. It looks DISGUSTING

Blaster.
07-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 1234
I've seen acouple 325ei and 325esis badges. lol

The 325ei might have had the e/i hybid conversion *wiggle*

Blaster.
07-23-2004, 05:49 PM

Like i said, some e30s come off the lot with M badges, EVEN IN THE FRONT. My moms co-worker had a 89 325i, and ive even seen pictures of when she first bought it, and it had M badges in the front, and back

And the other thing, when you buy a 318i, it wont necesarly stay a 318i forever. If you had the time, and effort, you may be able to convert it to 325i specs. So why would you keep your badged a 318i when the major specs of the car are a 325i. Same thing when it comes to engine displacement. It makes total sence to change the badge of your car to suit its changed specs.

Think of it this way, if you have 1 story house, and you add another level to it to make it a perfectly good 2 story house, then it isnt a 1 story house anymore, right? :(

burtonownz
07-23-2004, 08:49 PM
I also don't like the styling of the orange car.

If you had the time, and effort, you may be able to convert it to 325i specs. So why would you keep your badged a 318i when the major specs of the car are a 325i. Same thing when it comes to engine displacement. It makes total sence to change the badge of your car to suit its changed specs.

I could understand chopping the badge completely in a case where a car becomes different but I still can't understand renaming it. My mind is stuck for so me reason.

bimmerdreamer
07-24-2004, 02:58 AM
The orange car had potential but it was ruined with the vents and mainly the wing. Also the wheels look too small. That green car is one of the most hideous e30s Ive ever seen. And I like some things about the white Genesis but the testarossa styling is too busy and again the wing is hideous. My feeling on wings is that if its not stock in some form (ie. evo replicas, M style, racing) than just go wingless..

jeremy
07-24-2004, 12:04 PM
you guys are nuts...the genisis vert is TITTIES !

the geen one is KAK !

the orange has potential....change the rims, get rid of the vents, get rid of the shitty tint, defiently loose the eyebrows and grill cover,get rid of the wing and hagus mirrors...
add some 18-19" rims and different mirrors and it will look 100X better...

ps, the hood on the orange one is NICE

Blaster.
07-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
you guys are nuts...the genisis vert is TITTIES !

Wait, if the kit is titties, shouldnt that mean that we are uncontrolably attracted to that kit?