PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove The Fanclutch??

bmdoubleya
07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Just got a new parts car and need to use the fanclutch from it how would I remove it??

Sim_Sima
07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Well the fan clut is fairly simple to remove, the only tricky part is when you secure the pulley, you had to turn the fan nut clockwise to take it off. This nut is threaded reverse so that it won't spin off the car well the engin is turned on. You'll need to basic tools. Here i'll show you them

Sim_Sima
07-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Sorry man it seems i can't post a picture i'll pm you

bmdoubleya
07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Sim_Sima
Well the fan clut is fairly simple to remove, the only tricky part is when you secure the pulley, you had to turn the fan nut clockwise to take it off. This nut is threaded reverse so that it won't spin off the car well the engin is turned on. You'll need to basic tools. Here i'll show you them

I under stand all but secure the pully??

Should take around ten minutes or so??

Thanks alot..:cool:

T.Dot_E30
07-22-2004, 12:38 AM
you'll need a reallly big wrench or something......i think it was like 34mm or 36mm something like that

oh ya once u take it out, dont lay it flat, keep it upright (verticle) you could damage it if u lay it flat

Jordan
07-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by TrEvOrLiCioS
you'll need a reallly big wrench or something......i think it was like 34mm or 36mm something like that

32mm

Originally posted by TrEvOrLiCioS
oh ya once u take it out, dont lay it flat, keep it upright (verticle) you could damage it if u lay it flat

This is complete bulshit. It wont hurt it one bit. New fan clutches have no "this side up" markings on it, or the box. Its all just some stupid rumor started by people that talk out of their ass on the internet.

T.Dot_E30
07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
32mm
This is complete bulshit. It wont hurt it one bit. New fan clutches have no "this side up" markings on it, or the box. Its all just some stupid rumor started by people that talk out of their ass on the internet.

Well my uncle always does it, im sure this rumor hasn't started on the internet....he said when he first started fixing cars, he once took one out and left it flat overnight.....then a few days after putting it back together the fan clutch went......probably jus a coincidence,but eh its jus a precaution i guess......plus i guess this way u'd place it out of the way, and not put anything on it and break the blades

RichardRWatson
07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
There's also the two types of clutch, the big nut one :eek:

and the little nut one :D

I don't care to know which one you have.

Rick

everlast
07-22-2004, 03:32 PM
A. You can use a thin monkey wrench if you don't have a spanner that big. Apply peroxide to your knuckles after the bleeding subsides.

B. Fan clutches can be sensitive to being stored on their sides. I'm not sure if this is the case any more, but older ones' oil seals could dry out from all the oil being pressed to one side, causing the clutch to prematurely fail. This was before this thing called the 'internet'.

:)

desetPif
07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
easy job.
need 32mm wrench. they not cheep.
I boaght 1 on ebay for us6 plus us6.5 s&h.

easiest to go from under.
stick a long screwdriver between two pulley bolt heads.
the end of SD to rest on one of the crank pulleys.
turn wrench clockwise, actually it's counterclockwise for u if u're under the car.