PDA

View Full Version : hesitation problems

crusher
07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Well after I replaced my fuel filter i've been having some hesitation problems maybe after 10/15 minutes of driving. On a stop light the idle goes to steady 600 and then when I go.. 1st gear the car will bog down and regain full power in a few sec and then shift to 2nd car bogs down again and regains power again in a few secs.. Only happens on stop lights and doesn't happen all the time, just when I stop at a stop light for about 30 secs.. Anyone have any idea? Only thing is my fuel pump seems to have come off it's mounting point, thats the one underneat the rear driver side pasenger floor.

I'm going to check the AFM tonight.. I also checked the fuel filter connections and they're all tight.

thx
Jeff

qimis
07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
do you mean hesitation as in the car going to stall ?

crusher
07-19-2004, 10:44 PM
well its like when you step on the gas its hesitating like there's no gas thats going in.

I checked the AFM, sparkplugs tonight and they are all ok. I increased the idle to 750/800 now and the car seems to be running ok hmm weird maybe i messed up and screw the air/fuel mixture thing too low before? Btw, the AFM boot is cracked and theres a electrical tape on it hehe.

Mystikal
07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by crusher
Btw, the AFM boot is cracked and theres a electrical tape on it hehe.

Bingo. $50 on there is a small leak in that bad boy. I did the same thing last winter, and it never held on 100% for more than a week. Get a new one, it's only like $40.

crusher
07-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Bingo. $50 on there is a small leak in that bad boy. I did the same thing last winter, and it never held on 100% for more than a week. Get a new one, it's only like $40.

Thanks Jay *par-t* By the way, belated Happy b-day and nice vid *th-up*

qimis
07-20-2004, 12:23 AM
mine did the same too on the way back from toronto. i thought it was bad gas or something ...

i went 130 km/h all the way, but when i went down to 100 - 120 km/h the car started to hesitated :confused:

BMW_M52_M20
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Did it only happen after installing the fuel filter? Did you put it in the right way around?
Classic e30 probalems with hesitation:

1) Cracked Vaccum lines/hoses/boots
2) Clogged air filter
3) AFM
4) 02 sensor

sadda///M
07-20-2004, 04:03 PM
I dont think you have a fuel leak otherwise you've have smelled it and have looked into that already.

Are you sure it's the fuel pump and not the fuel filter that have come off? If the fuel filter is tilted to some degree then chances are you're not getting constant flow of fuel thru the filter (or fuel pump?), hence the hesitation.

worth looking into. good luck

crusher
07-20-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks BMW_M52_M20 and sadda///M

Its not really doing it all the time, just at times when the idle goes at 500. It maybe the AFM tube that is crack or the air filter. Im going to replace those two first, As for the fuel filter, its beside the carbon canister and secured ok. The fuel pump's brace is rusted so I can't secure it there anymore, i just zip tied it off to the body for now till I find a good solution.

BMW_M52_M20
07-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by crusher
thanks BMW_M52_M20 and sadda///M

Its not really doing it all the time, just at times when the idle goes at 500. It maybe the AFM tube that is crack or the air filter. Im going to replace those two first, As for the fuel filter, its beside the carbon canister and secured ok. The fuel pump's brace is rusted so I can't secure it there anymore, i just zip tied it off to the body for now till I find a good solution.

No problem, try the intake boot first and really check the vaccum lines, any leak will really cause these cars to run poorly.
Also if that doesn't work, check the ignition wires, may be some arching due to a cracked wire. Best way to test for that is spray the ignition wires with a spray bottle with water, if the car bogs down you know there is a crack in the wires somewhere. I am hesitant to think it is that because you would notice it more in the damp weather, but just a suggestion.
Jay

Jay

crusher
07-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Good news guys.. it wasn't the AFM tubing even though its cracked it was ok. I decided to repair it with some ruber heater.. Also I checked my fuel pump and a quick touch it all came down ugh so I guess when I stop at the stoplight and do a run off the fuel pump will move thus limiting the gas intake to the fuel filter. Anyways, I secured the fuel pump back to its place by placing a couple of plastic tightinging things around it and mounting that off the rubber boot.. After I secured it I did a test drive yesterday night and wola!! no more hesitation and I can feel that the car is getting gas again heheh!!!! And this morning when I drove it did the same so i'm very happy with this fix and hopefully I can start fixing the other things now.

Jeff

PS: I'm still selling the other 318i for $500 anyone wants it? Solid frame and lots of good parts.. I'm selling it as a whole

Axxe
07-28-2004, 12:43 AM
I had the same problem, and I found that there was a vacuum leak underneath the throttle body. There's a little tube that goes into it that doesn't have a clamp on it. I put a clamp and bingo, it works great. You do need to pull out the throttle body though, so while your at it buy two cans of throttle body cleaner (crappy tire brand works great) and clean it thouroughly. I reused the original gasket with some sealant without any consequences. As for cracks in the intake bellow (elbow) I would recommend some silocone or black (or clear) calking. Works like a charm.

Eurostyle
07-28-2004, 03:25 AM
PS: I'm still selling the other 318i for $500 anyone wants it? Solid frame and lots of good parts.. I'm selling it as a whole [/B][/QUOTE]

You still have the 318??? Wasnt it at Chuck's a few days ago???

NewBMWLuvR
07-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Call me stupid but what is the AFM? I also am having a hesitation after i shift gears ( Not all the time tho ) and reading all this stuff on it.. i'm lost :'( I was thinking that it might be my tranny because it is leaking.. the air filter is clean and in great order.. so any help on locating the stuff you all where talking about would be great.. also... (call me stupid again ) where is the dipstick for the Tranny?? I have a '85 325E. Any help would be great! Thanks all.

crusher
07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
PS: I'm still selling the other 318i for $500 anyone wants it? Solid frame and lots of good parts.. I'm selling it as a whole

You still have the 318??? Wasnt it at Chuck's a few days ago??? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup still here at my garage

BimmerKris
07-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by NewBMWLuvR
Call me stupid but what is the AFM? I also am having a hesitation after i shift gears ( Not all the time tho ) and reading all this stuff on it.. i'm lost :'( I was thinking that it might be my tranny because it is leaking.. the air filter is clean and in great order.. so any help on locating the stuff you all where talking about would be great.. also... (call me stupid again ) where is the dipstick for the Tranny?? I have a '85 325E. Any help would be great! Thanks all.

sounds like the exact same problem i'm having, with the same car, so far i did the coil, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, o2 senser, ans pressure regulator, and it still does the same thing, im really getting frustrated. If you car is a standard it won't have a dipstik for the trannie, the funny thing is, mine has a small small tannie leak as well

crusher
08-22-2004, 01:07 AM
As BimmerKris suggested I unplug my o2 sensor and everything is back to normal.. Now I just need to find some new o2 sensors :)